Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Over Greased rudder zerks - now what

So, doing some maintenance on my boat and added some waterproof marine grease to the rudder zerks. Added 5 pumps to the top and 3 pumps to the bottom. Steering was smooth and now is a Bit stiffer. After doing research on here it looks like I should have only done two pumps on each zerk. What now - will the xtra grease work its way out or do I need to pull the rudder and clean out the grease.  Thanks

Been there, man.  When I over greased mine, the steering was very stiff.  It took some time, but returned to normal after a few outings.  I guess if you cant wait you could disassemble and clean it out, but I would try to wait it out for a bit and see what happens

Glad to know I'm not the only one to do this. Crawled back under and depressed the ball in the zerk and there was a little burst of pressure, grease and a few drops of water that came out. Steering feels more normal - but the water coming out of the zerk is worrisome. Is that normal?

I believe it's a 1/4" socket req'd to unscrew the zerk fitting.  Just back them out, turn the wheel back and forth a bunch of times, wipe off the grease that comes out, reinstall the zerks and you're good to go

• Like 1

Do yourself a favor and drop rudder now

Get all the old crap out, lube it good all over, and you're done. Will only take a few moments and you'll know it's righ. And will be better too.