Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wetsounds Rev 8 vs Rev 10

andys

Hi all!  I just got a new 2016 and I  wanted to get some input on the tower speakers!!  I am looking at the wet sounds Rev 10s or Rev 8s.  I'm thinking of 2 pair.  Are 2 pairs of rev 10s overkill? Would I be good with 2 pair of Rev 8s? Thinking of going with a syn 6 amp to power them.

I appreciate a few opinions!  Thank you.

Edited by andys

Is 2 pair of Rev-10 overkill? No, but many people are satisfied with one pair of properly powered Rev-10 where as others want to go all-out. 

The Syn-6 is a beast of an amp, but not the ideal choice for either 2 pair option. Syn-2 or the new Syn-DX2 is a solid option for 2 pair of Rev-8 and the SD-2 would be perfect for both 2 pair of Rev-8 or 2 pair of Rev-10. 

The larger Rev-10 is going to deliver more mid-bass and deeper mid-bass, and naturally play louder do to its size. A single pair of 10" HLCDs can hold their own with 2 pair of 8" HLCD, but the peak output edge will go to the 2 pair though. However, the sound quality goes to the larger pair.   

Thank you very much for the response.  I had 1 pair of wetsounds 6x9 before (the 696rs).  How do you think 1 pair of the rev 8 or rev 10s would compare? Its alot to invest so i just want to go in the right direction.

The 696rs is tuned much like the previous Pro series tower speakers. Very aggressive, very strong tweeter that can over power the mid-bass. The new Rev series has a WAY better cross-over network that tames those frequencies that make the ears ring so to speak. So the perceived mid-bass of the Rev-8 is much better as compared to the 696rs. Much warmer, much smoother. Comparing the Rev-10 to the 696rs is much the same as comparing to the 8" Rev-8. Way more mid-bass to balance out with what is still a strong tweeter. Surface area will always win, size does matter.

Heres one thing to consider, amp power aside, there is like only $150 difference between the Rev8 and Rev10. So, if head room is not an issue, bimini clearance is not an issue, then for a little more investment, you can step up into the larger speaker. The Rev-10 gives you the best in sound quality near filed while still lending the wake range projection. 

I went with Rev8's because if you have spinner racks on the top they are useless with Rev10's.  Granted I still have issue with some board in the top slot on the racks when using the upper mount points even with the Rev8's.  But I have a chance.  Most of the time that chance pays off.  So if you will be using your upper mounts and may be spinning them around....That may be useful considering as well.

That picture is hilarious!  I really appreciate the responses. It sounds like 1 pair of rev 10s to start is definitely the way to go! I'm thinking of just putting in the bigger amp in case we want to add down the road.  We have the 2016 23 LSV so the spinner racks should be fine.  

It looks like I have to go wit the side bracket, but has anyone mounted them on the tower under the bimini?  I like them higher but seems like it would be a target to hit my head.  Any suggestions on that would be appreciated as well.  Thank you all so much!!!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ConnollyCrew said:

I have two pair rev 8's powered by an sd2 and it screams. I couldn't imagine it being any louder nor would I want it any louder. 

"Scream" is a good word for yours. LOL 

• Like 1

+1 to 1 pair of 10's and done. +2 if you are married, cause You'll  never get to full volume anyway. Top mount like a boss to avoid all clearance issues. I haven't busted my head, and wife hasn't busted her rack on these (and a little nicer for passengers eardrums too):

IMG_20160413_183835827_HDR_zpsvk4mjuc1.j

1 minute ago, hethj7 said:

How do you tow a rider with speakers up there?

have to be parallel with boat before it's an issue. Speaker clamps are pretty stout if you were to happen to make contact, no big deal. Just can't  do "around the world", which I've never care to attempt.

When we surf, I use ski pylon. The rope rubs and wears on Bimini, and I don't like it over passengers heads when on tower. Only the Sissy's complain about needing a tower to pull them up at higher angle.

I love the top mount, but I dont think it will fit in the garage with the speakers on top. ( I only have  1" cleanance folding the tower now.) Thank you for posting the pic!! I think the top would be ideal though.

It definitely sounds like 1 pair of Rev 10's will suit me fine. We have 2 kids (4 & 7) and dont want to blast out the passengers, but love to have some music for wakeboarding & surfing.

What amp would you all recommend to power 1 pair of rev 10s correctly then? My origninal thought was to go with the bigger amp in case we did decide to add another pair, but maybe that isn't ideal? Thank you!!

2 hours ago, TimbrSS said:

+1 to 1 pair of 10's and done. +2 if you are married, cause You'll  never get to full volume anyway. Top mount like a boss to avoid all clearance issues. I haven't busted my head, and wife hasn't busted her rack on these (and a little nicer for passengers eardrums too):

How tall is your wife?

Get the wetsound dual mount plate! Just use the top position. Other wise, the single mount needs the swivel clamp to make it work, and is too low

• Like 2

Speakers remove in 15 seconds with the swivel mounts.

1 hour ago, River Monsters said:

How tall is your wife?

Maybe I should have said the speakers don't get in the way of her rack?

• Like 2

Not overkill at all! I would highly recommend the SD2 over the SD6 for 2 pair of rev 10s.

I have run 4 rev 10s off both the SD6 and the SD2 and the SD2 is much louder and clearer as it puts out much more @ 2Ω.

SD2

Stereo @ 4 Ohms 2 x 400 Watts @ 58A

Stereo @ 2 Ohms 2 x 620 Watts @ 107A

Mono @ 4 Ohms 1 x 1250 Watts @ 108A

SD6

Stereo @ 4 Ohms 6 x 185 Watts @ 95A

Stereo @ 2 Ohms 6 x 290 Watts @ 168A

Mono @ 4 Ohms 3 x 585 Watts @ 168A

On June 14, 2016 at 5:09 PM, andys said:

That picture is hilarious!  I really appreciate the responses. It sounds like 1 pair of rev 10s to start is definitely the way to go! I'm thinking of just putting in the bigger amp in case we want to add down the road.  We have the 2016 23 LSV so the spinner racks should be fine.  

It looks like I have to go wit the side bracket, but has anyone mounted them on the tower under the bimini?  I like them higher but seems like it would be a target to hit my head.  Any suggestions on that would be appreciated as well.  Thank you all so much!!!

Mine are under Bimini with tower adapter???

• 3 weeks later...

One pair of REV 10's with a SYN 4 is plenty for us. I also run a JL Audio E6450 for 6 in boat 6.5" speakers and 1 JL 500/1 amp feeding a JL 12W3V2(its an oldie, might be time to get a newer version or go with a W6) Its nothing fancy but sounds good and I am happy with it, plays plenty loud.

I have 4 pro80's running off and SD2 in my boat and it screams. If I trade in my 11' or blow the pro80's I will be moving to 4 REV 10's!. Probably just buy a 2nd SD2 so I can give the rev10's the power they need.

I have the Stereo Pack 3 on my 15 axis with 2 pairs rev10's.  It is loud beyond description. SP 3 comes with 1000w and  700w amps.  We usually only listen at 20-40 percent. We crank it when we dont think it will piss anybody off.  Had a guy standing on the end of his dock one time staring at us.  ...not real loud music, flashy wakeboat, surfing having fun(not swamping his dock)...I guess it was more than he could take.

two pair of 10's with a syn4 on each. My old boat I miss dearly ?.  Had to shorten the video but he made it to the mouth of the cove which is exactly a mile and I could still hear the words. 

• Like 2
  • 6 months later...

Got a question myself, just ordered a pair of rev 10's, I have a Malibu WS, so it comes with 3 rockford fosgate amps, one to run sub, one to run inside speakers, and one for tower, will my amp push the rev 10's to best of their ability? 2008 Malibu wakesetter if that's helps