Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu LSV 25

Calisurf

Bow weight, your swim platform should be about level with the water, maybe just a touch higher. This is an easy indicator that your boat is weighted correctly for the best surf wake.

Edited by ConnollyCrew
13 hours ago, store934 said:

@WakeSS  I notice you and @jamesmcga both have 900 PNP and are not happy without a larger crew. 

@dppendar and I are both running 750's and are saying we don't need to fill them all the way up to have a good wave with a light crew.  He says he moves 800lbs from the front area to the end of the bow when full and I move people when full and that's to compensate for just 750's.  

Seems backwards I know but if I had to guess since you are running more rear weight than us but are running no to minimal weight in the bow or cockpit you are overloaded in the rear with the light crew. 

If I recall @The Hulk has 550's and seems to be happy with his wave as well (this is his picture when full).  If I fill my 750's to look like this rather than hitting the underside of sunpad I don't find the wave lacking in size or push with a light crew and no bow weight.   It also just seems to get better with more people added in the cockpit area.

Be interesting to see what both of you come up with running the 900s.  Three of us seem to be liking the 550-750 range okay so far w/o much of any bow weight but like adding more people or ballast to the main seating area.

rps20160905_062255.jpg

FYI my bags are the T ones and I can't get anyone to tell me if they are 550s or 750s.. seems more like 750s but got me..  

Every time I try bow weight it kills the wave.. main seating area smack down in middle of the floor is where she likes the weight. If your running light throw your bow sack in the middle u will be shocked!

On another note anyone else annoyed with those tsunami pumps and cig plugs? Seems the cig plugs can't stay in always have to hold them in. Also I've noticed the plug gets HOT when filling along with the cig plugs recept in the boat. I'm looking at the wires and they seem too small in the boat.. anyone run a more direct line to power or battery? Seems I'll have to do this and see if pump performance increases and put a decent connection other than the current cig plugs. Lately we have been running 3 person so only 2 in boat so I my have to plumb a reversible on switch so it's easier to fill a sac in her belly.. honestly I don't need that 1k sac in the floor but once u have tried it.. hard not to take a few mins.. it's annoying in the floor but worth for a light Crew.. I may have to consider WM floor bag but the 25 is so big it's not a huge issue.. 

I was going to upgrade rears to 900+ but now y'all have me questioning.. 

Edited by The Hulk

Interesting that your 770s put the platform just in the water.  Makes me wonder if the Fly High W024-750 bags that came with the boat are not really 750.  I would guess they put the platform 4-6" in the water when full.  

Interested to see what the 770s look like in the locker if you have a picture and if the are near the top of the locker doors like the semi-custom Fly Highs.  I will have to take picture next outing from comparison.

Edited by store934

@IXFE speaks the truth

the only noticeable difference with the bow bag was less bow rise but at the cost of sluggish handling from the drivers perspective.

little to no difference in the wave for the rider

Edited by Stevo
  • Like 2
Just now, store934 said:

Interesting that your 770s put the platform just in the water.  Makes me wonder if the Fly High W024-750 bags that came with the boat are not really 750.  I would guess they put the platform 4-6" in the water when full.  

Interested to see what the 770s look like in the locker if you have a picture and if the are near the top of the locker doors like the semi-custom Fly Highs.  I will have to take picture next outing from comparison.

No way that puts the deck 4-6 under water.

i run 900's stuffed to the gills on my 23 and it's never that far under water (granted they don't get all 900 in them)

the customs when full still have room for 4-6 vests

I know pics... I happen to be at the dock tonight but lightning keep me off the water.  Only me on the boat with a 1/3 of a tank of gas sitting at the dock.  All internal ballast full.

Pic of bag about 1/2-3/4 filled so platform just under the water.  

Pic of bags full  & pic of platform will full bags and one foot on the platform.  No reason for me try and fake the pics so not sure what else to say.

With fuel and a large crew it sinks more.  

IMG_1013.JPG

IMG_1012.JPG

IMG_1011.JPG

• Like 2

@The Hulk and @store934 seem to have different fly high bags.  I have the larger ones like those pictured above and they fill up the locker. No room for vests.  I agree that the platform is 4-6 inches underwater when the lockers are full.  I have tried the triangle 1000# sac in the bow but I prefer the 800# of steel shot all stacked on the front cushion--leverage, I suspect.  When I add the steel shot bow weight, the nose comes down and so do the RPM's.  With the triangle, I don't get the same results.  Changed over to the 2277 prop and with the bow weight we're getting 3200-3400 RPM goofy.  A little higher regular.  Running 10.8 mph.

However... to be accurate....once I get the bow weight in, the platform comes back up a little and sits at 1-2 inches below water line.

26 minutes ago, dppendar said:

@The Hulk and @store934 seem to have different fly high bags.  I have the larger ones like those pictured above and they fill up the locker. No room for vests.  I agree that the platform is 4-6 inches underwater when the lockers are full.  I have tried the triangle 1000# sac in the bow but I prefer the 800# of steel shot all stacked on the front cushion--leverage, I suspect.  When I add the steel shot bow weight, the nose comes down and so do the RPM's.  With the triangle, I don't get the same results.  Changed over to the 2277 prop and with the bow weight we're getting 3200-3400 RPM goofy.  A little higher regular.  Running 10.8 mph.

However... to be accurate....once I get the bow weight in, the platform comes back up a little and sits at 1-2 inches below water line.

Happy with that 2277 swap?

My sumo 900s fill the entire compartment as well. With them full the platform is ankle deep, maybe 3"?

I won't get to play around with it this weekend, we are out of town and dropped the boat off for service today. Tacked on another 40 hours already this year.

Edited by WakeSS

I am guessing Hulk's are the Fly High W024-550 rather than the W024-750 model.  Both are T shaped for the locker I believe.  I am beginning to think that 550 and 750 are not for weight or not the correct weight and maybe about 200lbs heavier like the wakemakers bags tended to be in 2015-2016 time frame (and maybe still are?)  I don't recall how much bigger the hard tanks are in the 25 vs 23 but I am guessing that contributed to the difference between the two models as well.

I am happy with the 2277 @ 2300ft and the   450.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, store934 said:

I know pics... I happen to be at the dock tonight but lightning keep me off the water.  Only me on the boat with a 1/3 of a tank of gas sitting at the dock.  All internal ballast full.

Pic of bags full  & pic of platform will full bags and one foot on the platform.  No reason for me try and fake the pics so not sure what else to say.

IMG_1013.JPG

IMG_1012.JPG

IMG_1011.JPG

I'll have to bring @Chrisjjbrown's ruler out and measure mine this weekend, I don't recall having the deck burried that much

7 hours ago, dppendar said:

Throw that bow sac smack dab in the middle of the floor and try it once. Ive tried everywhere but man it's awesome there!! Let me know what u think

8 hours ago, store934 said:

IMG_1013.JPG

IMG_1012.JPG

IMG_1011.JPG

Mine are def not like this I can still out jackets in mine.

Why the heck when I call WM they said there is only one t model for 25lsv??

Edited by The Hulk
6 hours ago, store934 said:

I am guessing Hulk's are the Fly High W024-550 rather than the W024-750 model.  Both are T shaped for the locker I believe.  I am beginning to think that 550 and 750 are not for weight or not the correct weight and maybe about 200lbs heavier like the wakemakers bags tended to be in 2015-2016 time frame (and maybe still are?)  I don't recall how much bigger the hard tanks are in the 25 vs 23 but I am guessing that contributed to the difference between the two models as well.

I am happy with the 2277 @ 2300ft and the   450.

I also agree they seem bigger than what their ratings are for sure.. gets confusing on WM .. not that hard to calculate volumes and weight.. list them correctly.. 

Do the bags have part numbers printed on them somewhere? Wanted to get the bigger ones . wM said if I want bigger then the only option is their LBS bags. But I prefer a bigger T bag as not to pump up the bins and pushing lounge seats up

ahopkins22LSV

I completely agree with @IXFE and @The Hulk no addition bow weight needed. And I'm starting to think after reading this thread that the plug n play bags the hulk has are ideal. I actually ran hulks boat in an event and a bit before and the wave was money with full mls and the pnp in it. Both sides at wedge ramp or 2 and 11.2-11.5 mph. Only got better as more people in the cabin and when we had about 10 people plus a 1000lb bag in the cabin it was insane. Wanted to see what it had :)

@jamesmcga what is your surfing experience? Not asking to be demeaning or anything just curious because the 25 is by far the second best wave I have been on only second to the M235. Maybe a video would help us with what the wave looks like and maybe a few suggestions for you as well. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

I completely agree with @IXFE and @The Hulk no addition bow weight needed. And I'm starting to think after reading this thread that the plug n play bags the hulk has are ideal. I actually ran hulks boat in an event and a bit before and the wave was money with full mls and the pnp in it. Both sides at wedge ramp or 2 and 11.2-11.5 mph. Only got better as more people in the cabin and when we had about 10 people plus a 1000lb bag in the cabin it was insane. Wanted to see what it had :)

@jamesmcga what is your surfing experience? Not asking to be demeaning or anything just curious because the 25 is by far the second best wave I have been on only second to the M235. Maybe a video would help us with what the wave looks like and maybe a few suggestions for you as well. 

10ppl maybe 1500-2k lbs is awesome wave.. I can attest.. when we had 18 ppl that's about same as u with 10ppl + 1k bag.. and it's nuts!! 

But I find it a LOT cheaper with a crew of 3 and my 1k bag!! Haha 

ahopkins22LSV
Just now, The Hulk said:

10ppl maybe 1500-2k lbs is awesome wave.. I can attest.. when we had 18 ppl that's about same as u with 10ppl + 1k bag.. and it's nuts!! 

But I find it a LOT cheaper with a crew of 3 and my 1k bag!! Haha 

Hahaha yeah, the day after the 10 people plus the 1k bag we had about 18 people in the boat as well. We burned more fuel then I remember, but it was so worth it. Was the best week of last summer and maybe the best week in a long time. Thank you for letting us put your boat through the paces ;)

4 hours ago, The Hulk said:

Do the bags have part numbers printed on them somewhere? Wanted to get the bigger ones . wM said if I want bigger then the only option is their LBS bags. But I prefer a bigger T bag as not to pump up the bins and pushing lounge seats up

Not that I know of.  I can't recall where I got the part numbers.   There is very little online about them.   They are listed for sale from a few places- http://www.fatsac.com/custom-sacs.php & http://www.onlyinboards.com/AccessoryShop/Products/BallastFatSacs/Semi-Custom-Sacs/2016-2017-Malibu-Rear-Plug-Play-Sacs.aspx 

They are also about 1/2 price on eBay with some decent pictures right now.  - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flyhigh-Ballast-Bag-Fat-Sac/172745672418 

Here are a couple of the pics for when the auction expires.  I guess I can stop obsessing about trying to stop the passive draining when they are stuffed full and just try my 1k bow sack in the boat rather than the bow. 

s-l160.jpg

s-l1600.jpg