Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu LSV 25

Calisurf

I just purchased my first (big) boat to accommodate my large family and friends.  We went with the LSV 25.  There must be a small select few who have purchased this boat as I've found no postings.  Anyhow,  I'm curious if anyone has experience setting up their wakesurf wake.  Currently I'm running all stock ballast at 100% in addition to two rear 750lb plug and plays.  The wake is huge, however much cleaner on the port side.  Any suggestions for starboard?  Has anyone listed to that side and has it made any difference.  Any suggestions would be helpful.  Thank you.

• Like 2

You will need to list the boat or use an aftermarket surf system of some sort to clean up the wake. 

Hijack: How large are the storage areas in that boat?  Is there access to underfloor storage? seems like there would be a lot down there. 

The 25 LSV will be new. This is the first year of production. It will have Surf Gates. I have a friend who purchased one. It's a heck of a nice boat. And HUGE. He hasn't put many hours behind it yet but I know he was running all stock MLS full, custom bags in the lockers (1100lbs each if memory serves me) full, and surf gates. I think about 7 people in the boat. Loved it compared to his 247. Wake was so big he had to run no wedge for a couple of riders who are pretty good riders. I don't recall what speed he was running at. Sorry.

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
16 minutes ago, MaliWop said:

The 25 LSV will be new. This is the first year of production. It will have Surf Gates. I have a friend who purchased one. It's a heck of a nice boat. And HUGE. He hasn't put many hours behind it yet but I know he was running all stock MLS full, custom bags in the lockers (1100lbs each if memory serves me) full, and surf gates. I think about 7 people in the boat. Loved it compared to his 247. Wake was so big he had to run no wedge for a couple of riders who are pretty good riders. I don't recall what speed he was running at. Sorry.

That's not entirely true... http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2004-MALIBU-Sunscape-25-LSV-102780541

• Like 3
10 hours ago, REW said:

You will need to list the boat or use an aftermarket surf system of some sort to clean up the wake. 

Hijack: How large are the storage areas in that boat?  Is there access to underfloor storage? seems like there would be a lot down there. 

I was in one a few days ago.  The ballast takes up what would otherwise be storage.  For a 25 ft boat, I thought the storage was limited.

10 hours ago, REW said:

The boat already has surfgate adding an aftermarket surf system will not help.

13 hours ago, Calisurf said:

I just purchased my first (big) boat to accommodate my large family and friends.  We went with the LSV 25.  There must be a small select few who have purchased this boat as I've found no postings.  Anyhow,  I'm curious if anyone has experience setting up their wakesurf wake.  Currently I'm running all stock ballast at 100% in addition to two rear 750lb plug and plays.  The wake is huge, however much cleaner on the port side.  Any suggestions for starboard?  Has anyone listed to that side and has it made any difference.  Any suggestions would be helpful.  Thank you.

Usually it is the starboard side that creates the best wake due to prop rotation. 

Experiment with different wedge settings (this can help clean it up)

Try different speeds.

Try moving your people ballast to the starboard side (this usually helps alot... the claim on all boats is that the surf system is that you weight evenly, but I have found moving people to surfside is very beneficial... some friends put a 750 in middle of floor and kick to the surfside)

There really are no standard settings that always work. How many people you have on boat, current speed, and water depth will always change your "normal" settings

43 minutes ago, smc67 said:

I was in one a few days ago.  The ballast takes up what would otherwise be storage.  For a 25 ft boat, I thought the storage was limited.

Compared to which boat? There is a lot more storage in these compared to my 23... and under seats is deep... All boats loose their rear locker storage when using piggy back weight on top.

Edited by kerpluxal
13 minutes ago, h2oratJR said:

that boat produces one of the best waves in the industry 

lol 2nd best.... M235 rocks... been behind both... waiting to try 25lsv again with more weight ;)

• Like 1

Agreed the M235 is the best in the industry  but that's my opinion which is worth nothing . I surfed both boats about 2 weeks apart end of last season we surfed 5  deep behind the LSV 

11 minutes ago, h2oratJR said:

Agreed the M235 is the best in the industry  but that's my opinion which is worth nothing . I surfed both boats about 2 weeks apart end of last season we surfed 5  deep behind the LSV 

Everybody opinions count and differ... there has to be a boat to satisfy someone ;).... Been working with dealer on my next purchase... I really want the M235.... but pocket has been saying no :( The 25LSV is awesome as well.... and really thinking that route for $ savings... but pocket been leaning towards another 223 LSV... They are all great waves... each one a little bigger than the other....

Here is my current wave on a 2010 23 LSV

IMG_20160124_152956038_zpso0rltchh.jpg

Edited by kerpluxal

As far as listing a boat that has surfgate, I concur that it is important to shift passengers or have a little more weight on the side of the surfer. In my 2016 23lsv, I have seen the wave wash out some when someone moves to the opposite side. It doesn't need to be listed, but it definitely helps to have more weight on the side in which someone is surfing.

• Like 2

My buddy has a 25 LSV and we ride with just the stock ballast and pre-programmed surf settings so far.  Normally have anywhere from 6-12 people in the boat (which isn't even crowded), which also helps with weight, but the wave is massive as-is.  Haven't found the need yet for any additional ballast.

I have been using the fly high custom bags(listed at 750) along with 800 of steel pellets (which come in 40 lb bags).  I move the pellets around as needed.  Often keep them towards the front but not in the bow.  Most of the time I don't need to fill the fly high's up all the way---wave is crazy tall and long. 

I surf at 11 mph.  Wedge depends on number of people in the boat and experience of rider.  If I have a good surfer, I fill everything full and move the 800 steel bags up to the end of the bow and it is great. Wedge 1 or 2 clicks. Hit around 4000 rpm with max weight and 3-4 crew.  2249 prop.

Super easy to take a roller over the bow with that set up!  Still experimenting.

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

I have a 25 LSV as well. I am also struggling with the way wave with a light load;   My son who is 70 pounds and my wife driving at 100 pounds    I've noticed if I fill all ballast  and my two 900 plug and play's the transom is underwater.  A buddy who has a 23 LSV said that the plug and plays should be about half full and that I needed more weight in the bow.  I couldn't get a wave with a lot of push regardless of the wedge setting 

I'm going out later this week to play at the settings and I'll let you know   

On 6/13/2016 at 2:11 AM, Calisurf said:

I have 2003 25 LSV Sunscape.  8.1L here is what I run and get a wave on both sides that is huge and clean.  Ballsast bags are as follows 400 in bow.  400 on each port and starboard center under seats then i have 1100 lbs sack in the rear starboard and 700lbs in rear port. Then I use the Delta wake shaper.  The reason for the 700 and 1000 on rear is I have my battery bank in rear port 3 large RV batteries that make up the difference.  Regular side wave is bigger by a bit but I believe that is due to engine rotation direction and I do not believe there is much to be done unless you compensate harder on the port for weight (700vs 1100).  I am happy with my goofy wave which is what both me and my wife surf.  8yo showing signs of goofy.  2 yo just this last weekend looks like he wants to go regular by the way he stands on the board on the boat.  If he is in fact the only regular person in the fam we may have a kid up for adoption soon.  Not really but I was hoping for an all goofy family.  Is that weird?.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, jamesmcga said:

I have a 25 LSV as well. I am also struggling with the way wave with a light load;   My son who is 70 pounds and my wife driving at 100 pounds    I've noticed if I fill all ballast  and my two 900 plug and play's the transom is underwater.  A buddy who has a 23 LSV said that the plug and plays should be about half full and that I needed more weight in the bow.  I couldn't get a wave with a lot of push regardless of the wedge setting 

I haven't played around with our settings too much.  I have an 85 lb beginner.  We surfed with tanks 50% full, plug and play empty.  Started at 9.0 mph and worked to 10.0.  Seemed to work pretty well.

8 hours ago, jamesmcga said:

What speed? 

The 25 lsv needs a little weight to work well. However contrary to the 23 the 25 does NOT need bow weight it hurts the wave.. yes y'all read that clearly.. it needs weight in the center or party play pin area when running a light 2_3 person crew.  Simply get a 1k bow sac and throw in central floor and your good. Not the bow! Then with this u can easily surf 10.8-11.2 depending on your style with light Crew. Easily 11.4-11.6 moh for those skinny folk.. 

Edited by The Hulk
15 hours ago, jamesmcga said:

Not sure which side you surf but I am regular.  If you could not get any push then my guess is you where going way to slow and/ or had to much wedge with that much weight in the rear.

I have the custom fly high 750s.  No idea if they are accurate but they fill almost the entire locker to the top which leads me to think they might be bigger.  Swim platform is maybe 4-6 inches in the water when bags are filled full to give you a reference point to compare with your full 900s.

With that much in the rear I like 2-3 kids in the bow and run anywhere from 2-3 clicks above lift all the way to lift to flatten it out for skim style.  Speed should be at least 10.8-11.4.  I like 11.2 most of the time.

Even tonight we were trying to beat a storm so only filled bags maybe 1/2 - 3/4 full, one adult and a 50lb 7 year old spotter was all that was in the boat with 1/2 tank of gas.  

Speed 11.2, wedge 2-3 from lift and the wave was plenty long with lots of push. Platform was maybe even or 1" under water.  I was very happy with the wave.

Based on that I think your combination of 900s, wedge and no forward weight offset are to much unless your can hit 11+ mph.  I am not sure what motor / prop you have but I am guessing my motor would be really working with 900s and no bow weight to get to 11.2-11.4 and I have the 440 / 2277 combo (which I like).

If you don't want to deal with extra bags maybe start with your rears filled about 6"-8" from the top of the locker (or swim platform just at or in the water) wedge 2-3 from lift and set your speed to 11 and start tinkering with filling your bags from there.   That should put you in the ball park for regular and probably goofy. 

On 6/26/2017 at 8:09 AM, jamesmcga said:

Same here. Wave is spectacular with 4-6 extra adults in the boat. No push with skinny wife and 9 yo spotter ;)

11.0, 2-4 clicks of wedge, 900 PNPs, 150# Square that I always leave filled and sitting in the very end of the bow. - 450HP, 2249, ~4000 RPM, 1070ft ASL

Been looking at lead/steel shot like @dppendaror some creative way to get more weight in mid bow without losing seating and external pumps. 

@store934 will try your advice and up the speed.

@WakeSS  I notice you and @jamesmcga both have 900 PNP and are not happy without a larger crew. 

@dppendar and I are both running 750's and are saying we don't need to fill them all the way up to have a good wave with a light crew.  He says he moves 800lbs from the front area to the end of the bow when full and I move people when full and that's to compensate for just 750's.  

Seems backwards I know but if I had to guess since you are running more rear weight than us but are running no to minimal weight in the bow or cockpit you are overloaded in the rear with the light crew. 

If I recall @The Hulk has 550's and seems to be happy with his wave as well (this is his picture when full).  If I fill my 750's to look like this rather than hitting the underside of sunpad I don't find the wave lacking in size or push with a light crew and no bow weight.   It also just seems to get better with more people added in the cockpit area.

Be interesting to see what both of you come up with running the 900s.  Three of us seem to be liking the 550-750 range okay so far w/o much of any bow weight but like adding more people or ballast to the main seating area.

rps20160905_062255.jpg

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, store934 said:

@WakeSS  I notice you and @jamesmcga both have 900 PNP and are not happy without a larger crew. 

@dppendar and I are both running 750's and are saying we don't need to fill them all the way up to have a good wave with a light crew.  He says he moves 800lbs from the front area to the end of the bow when full and I move people when full and that's to compensate for just 750's.  

Seems backwards I know but if I had to guess since you are running more rear weight than us but are running no to minimal weight in the bow or cockpit you are overloaded in the rear with the light crew. 

If I recall @The Hulk has 550's and seems to be happy with his wave as well (this is his picture when full).  If I fill my 750's to look like this rather than hitting the underside of sunpad I don't find the wave lacking in size or push with a light crew and no bow weight.   It also just seems to get better with more people added in the cockpit area.

Be interesting to see what both of you come up with running the 900s.  Three of us seem to be liking the 550-750 range okay so far w/o much of any bow weight but like adding more people or ballast to the main seating area.

Yep, seems logical. I have tried playing with the pnp levels. Even listing to surf side and I still haven't found the sweet spot. I find my self trying to add more wedge and that just makes the pocket short and backside spray.

Will definitely try upping the speed next time. I've played between 10.6-11.1 or so... will start out at 11.4 next outing with 3 of us, pnp 1/2 full and see where that gets me. Thanks!