Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
EngineerAl

Fuel Pump Not Working

EngineerAl

1999 Response with 350 Monsoon.  I get intermittent operation of fuel pump.  It is not getting voltage all the time.  Replaced fuel pump, fuel pump relay, checked all wires for continuity, checked key switch all parts work fine.  One time have power to the fuel pump and it primes when the key turned to on, the next time, nothing, no voltage.  Any ideas?

Engine Nut

Do you hear the fuel pump relay click on then off every time the keyswitch is turned on or is the relay intermittent. The relay is activated by the ECM and the pump is activated by the relay.

Rednucleus

how about a faulty oil pressure switch cutting off the fuel pump

Engine Nut
9 hours ago, Rednucleus said:

how about a faulty oil pressure switch cutting off the fuel pump

Only carbureted engines use oil pressure controlled fuel pump safety switches. The engine with the problem is a Monsoon which is EFI.

EngineerAl

No clicking of the relay when the fuel pump does not turn on.

GranvilleMalibu23

I had a similar problem this weekend with a 2005 LSV with the 340 Monsoon....it went something like this....we enjoyed a long cruise around the lake, roughly an hour and a half. Boat & engine performed flawlessly, as usual. Back to the dock and engine was shut down for roughly 2 hours. Loaded up again and started the engine, started, sputtered, and shut off. Repeated this several times and engine would start then seem to immediately run out of gas. Upon turning the key on, each time, I would wait to hear the fuel pump pressurize the system and shut off before rotating the key to the start position....again the engine would start and immediately sputter off as if out of fuel. By this time we had drifted some distance from the dock so hitched a tow home, then cried....After couple hours, I decided to shut down the battery switch to kill power to the boat. After leaving the switch off a few minutes, I rotated the battery selector to battery #2....tried the engine and it cranked normally. No additional problems were encountered the rest of Saturday and the engine again ran perfectly today.

I did contact my boat guy yesterday and explained to him what we encountered. It appears that after the initial pressurization of the fuel system by the pump, it shuts down and waits for a signal from the ECM to begin working again. Seems that upon engine start, a sensor, either crankshaft or camshaft, not sure which, tells the ECM that the motor is running so the ECM then energizes the fuel pump back on to supply the gas.

I'd be interested to know from others if this is a common problem, and if so, which component was at fault.  Thanks

EngineerAl
On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:14 PM, Engine Nut said:

Do you hear the fuel pump relay click on then off every time the keyswitch is turned on or is the relay intermittent. The relay is activated by the ECM and the pump is activated by the relay.

No clicking of the relay.