Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2008 VTX or 2012 Axis A20

TWeb12

Good Evening!

I'm looking at buying a good all around boat.  We like to ski, surf, and wakeboard (in that order).  The VTX I'm looking at is in pretty good shape and pretty well equipped.  It has 623 hours on it.  The A20 is also well equipped and has about 240 hours.  I plan to test drive them both on Monday but wanted to get some feed back from some of you experts 

Thanks in advance for your input!

My Question is what is your budget,  I have had boats till 1000 hours,  but i do 150 hrs per season.  so I'm selling my current boat not to go over 500.  both boats are good all around boats.  newer less hours is always good.  the 12 was a good year but the vinyl is the only question.  In 2013 they change the vinyl and it was much nicer.  it would be a hard call.  but I'm not afraid o 623 hours on a good boat with a great engine in it.  do you know the history of either boat,  If your getting the bu from some one you know and you know how they took care of it.  i have seen 1500 hours boats that looked like they just came of the showroom floor.  i have sen 200 hour boats ready for the scrap yard.  is there a cost difference between the 2?  any pics?

They are about the same price.  I can probably get them both for around 35-37k.

Here is the link to the 2012 A20.

http://www.marineworld.com/default.asp?page=xmbGetDetails&id=1975519

Here is the link to the VTX.  I have seen this one in person.  It's in good shape for a 2008.  1 owner and maintenance is well documented.

http://www.marineworld.com/default.asp?page=xmbGetDetails&id=1659483

thanks for your input!

Edited by TWeb12
ahopkins22LSV

If skiing is your number 1 activity I think you will be happier with the VTX. I have not personally skied the A20 but I believe it is geared towards the wake sports and not really as a cross-over. I have skied the VTX and for a v-drive it skis very good. With the front ballast full, the wake is soft and only a bit bigger than my TXi. But it is still very good. With the right wake you can get a quite good surf wake and wake out of the VTX TOO.

Also, that generation Axis will put our a great wake and wave, but the interior styling is not nearly as nice as the new Axis boats or even a mid 2000's Malibu. Some people don't care about that at all but might be something to consider.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

If skiing is your number 1 activity I think you will be happier with the VTX. I have not personally skied the A20 but I believe it is geared towards the wake sports and not really as a cross-over. I have skied the VTX and for a v-drive it skis very good. With the front ballast full, the wake is soft and only a bit bigger than my TXi. But it is still very good. With the right wake you can get a quite good surf wake and wake out of the VTX TOO.

Also, that generation Axis will put our a great wake and wave, but the interior styling is not nearly as nice as the new Axis boats or even a mid 2000's Malibu. Some people don't care about that at all but might be something to consider.

Took the words off my fingertips.  If skiing is the thing, the VTX is king... assuming it's on the Diamond hull.  Weren't those available on a wake hull also?

To be honest it would be hard not to end up in the malibu,  but i would beat them up really hard because of the hours.  I'm not afraid of those hours personal,  but there is a reason I'm selling my 2012 x25 at 470 hours.  people get real skittish at 500.  but test drive them both and see what you think.  look over that vinyl in the axis really good.  and don't be afraid to walk away from them both.  or but one.  its early in the season and having a boat is the best thing ever.  one last thing i don't know if the axis came with the wedge then,  i think they did,  but that would be a huge factor for me.

Edited by livesound

I appreciate the feedback.  This Axis does have the wedge.  I'm not to afraid of the hours either.  The BU only had 1 owner and he is local.  Took very good care of it. 

Im driving then tomorrow and will update afterwards.

thanks again for the help!

I have a VTX and I'd probably choose it again, but here are some contrarian thoughts...

What is the freeboard difference between the two boats?  Can the A20 handle more weight?  While I have a VTX, and it skis well, it really struggles to handle enough weight to get a big wake or wave.  I am limited in weight I can add to the rear of the boat without the nose being in the water.

A VTX with diamond hull is a pretty flat boat.  It pounds you in rough water.  Check out the rough water ride in the A20 if that is a concern.

34 minutes ago, flapjack said:

I have a VTX and I'd probably choose it again, but here are some contrarian thoughts...

What is the freeboard difference between the two boats?  Can the A20 handle more weight?  While I have a VTX, and it skis well, it really struggles to handle enough weight to get a big wake or wave.  I am limited in weight I can add to the rear of the boat without the nose being in the water.

A VTX with diamond hull is a pretty flat boat.  It pounds you in rough water.  Check out the rough water ride in the A20 if that is a concern.

Do you have a number for how much weight you'd like to know about?  Others use more, but for reference I fill 750s on top of the stock 200s on either side in the rear.  Center 400 plus the nose bag that is a guess at 500.  No wedge.  This set up causes no issues for dipping any part of the boat other than the platform.  But in this case I want in the bow or inline with the driver.  Additional weight is much more beneficial in the bow, where I occasionally place a triangle bag.  When I fill beyond 500 lbs you can get a bit of water if you don't manage surf rollers.  2012 A20 for reference.

We have had the 08 VTX since 2011 and have over 800hrs on our boat. If ya want to talk about VTX sometime hit me w PM and we can exchange numbers. I do all my own maintenance except winterize cause a boat mechanic friend does it for me for some gas $$ and beer.

I've had my fair share of experience of what to expect and do's and don'ts ect... w this year and model. Happy to help. Hope ya love the boat, we love ours. Congrats Hope it works well for ya.  

• 3 weeks later...