Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sold boat - on to the next one

hethj7

We listed our VLX 6 days ago and watched the new owner drive away this morning with it.   This boat was meant to prove we'd use it and really wanted to be a lake family and it did its job perfectly.   

B3454EF4-B480-4C25-8893-61CAD517DBB0_zps

So...what happened? What are you getting now? My first family boat was an 19' Seadoo and I sold it within a year for a Centurion that I sold 9 months later for a 2010 Malibu 247.

Ha, didn't realize a I didn't finish my thoughts in the above post - the boat proved the whole family loves to be on the water.    T23 or 23LSV is likely in our near future.  We're weighing options now.   

• Like 3

Hoping not to turn this into a 30 page "find hethj7 a new boat" thread, but will solicit some opinions.   My wife has fallen in love with this one already, which is due in to a dealer across the state in a week or so.   He stated it actually won't have the G4, but will have the G3.2 tower, which I'm fine with to keep the price down.  I'm not sure about the driftwood on the interior though.   

23%20lsv%20blue_zpsp77gbzd4.jpg

@UpperleftWakeAgreed, just not sure how much classy and a blue flake go together :crazy:

I noticed on the build sheet that boat comes with the command wheel.  I didn't realize it was now available outside of the M235.   

Edited by hethj7
  • Like 1
ahopkins22LSV

Congrats on the sale and the shopping for a new boat!

I am very curiously on how that interior would look in person. It might be really cool. Definitely worth going to see I would think! The outside gel is awesome looking without question!

Here's the specs on that one.   What would I miss not having?

M Grain dash

CS Bimini Top Gen II Surf

CS boat cover

Monsoon 410

3 outlet heater

White G3.2 Tower with 1 pair of spinner racks

Wake 23 LSV Pack sound with 1 set of Wet Sounds Rev 8's and sub

Surfgate, PWII, and Plug n Play plumbing (I'd ask for the bags to be thrown in)

Malibu Command Wheel

Soft grip flooring

Sport dash

backup camera

battery charger, dual batteries

swim step ladder

3 pairs of cleats

transom lights

18" wheels and LED's on the trailer. 

It does not have a transom remote or surf pipe, which are 2 options I'd probably like to have, but aren't deal breakers.  I'd also love clamping racks and a second set of racks.  And of course no G4, fender pro, power seat, etc.   All those would be great, but considering what I'm willing to spend, I think this boat checks off about all the boxes.  

1 hour ago, hethj7 said:

Here's the specs on that one.   What would I miss not having?

M Grain dash

CS Bimini Top Gen II Surf

CS boat cover

Monsoon 410

3 outlet heater

White G3.2 Tower with 1 pair of spinner racks

Wake 23 LSV Pack sound with 1 set of Wet Sounds Rev 8's and sub

Surfgate, PWII, and Plug n Play plumbing (I'd ask for the bags to be thrown in)

Malibu Command Wheel

Soft grip flooring

Sport dash

backup camera

battery charger, dual batteries

swim step ladder

3 pairs of cleats

transom lights

18" wheels and LED's on the trailer. 

It does not have a transom remote or surf pipe, which are 2 options I'd probably like to have, but aren't deal breakers.  I'd also love clamping racks and a second set of racks.  And of course no G4, fender pro, power seat, etc.   All those would be great, but considering what I'm willing to spend, I think this boat checks off about all the boxes.  

The surf pipe can be added by your dealer.  I'd just negotiate that into the deal.  As much as I love the G4, what I really like are the clamp racks.  Have your dealer add those too.  But not all four of them.  Your heart will STOP when you see the price.  You can also add fender pro, but I don't see the point; how hard is it to hang a fender from cleats?  Just don't let them charge you full msrp for these add ons.  I'd ask for dealer cost.  

I have the power seat.  It's a novelty you don't need.  I rarely use it unless somebody else has raised it and I have to lower it back down.  What I don't like about it is that even in the lowest position the seat is a good 4" higher than than the seat w/out this feature.  Moving it up from there only makes you feel stupid high.  Then you have the flip up bolster seat... by no you're hitting your head on the tower!!  Call me crazy, but I'm one of the few people who like the low position of the old seat.  With my new power seat I can't drive and look through the windshield; it's so high that I look over it.  Unless you REALLY want it, I wouldn't worry about it.  

• Like 2

The power seat would be one of the last upgrade boxes I'd check even if I had unlimited funds, so no worries there.   

Clamping racks I really would like to get.   The surf pipe just sounds like a great idea to me.  I've never been on a boat with one, but I think I'd love it (and they always get great reviews from owners).  

Other contenders are shown below (mainly just for another excuse to throw up some pics).  However, these are at a different dealer and while they can offer a great deal on the purchase price, they don't have local Kansas City support.  The other dealer has partnered with a few local shop in KC to provide warranty service, even though they aren't Malibu dealers.  

yellow%2023lsv_zpsx2ivioic.jpg

white%2023%20lsv_zpssh4q358q.jpg

I am from Utah but moved to Overland Park over a year ago. Had a 13 lsv but sold it and just picked up a 16 lsv from Andrew at Stateamind 3 weeks ago. Just passed 11 hours it's a awesome boat. If you have any questions let me know

@ixfe - I can't quite tell from your other posts, but where do you mount the additional pump and switch for your auxiliary bow bag?  And that plate you have to mount the connector to - is that custom fabricated or available somewhere?   

Any other dealer add-ons you guys would suggest other than what has been discussed above?   We'll inquire about the clamping racks and STE.  

Is there a USB near the sport knob and phone cradle for charging phones?  I usually stream music and keep my phone plugged in while on the water.   

Oh, and anyone got a photo of the window mounted mirror?   I can't picture it vs. the tower mount.  

I have the new mirror on the windshield and I am a little disappointed with it. First, it's got to be way off to the side to not hit the windshield when the center window is open. It's really wide and you have to play with it to make it work in both positions. The real pain is you have to loosen the hand nut on the back to adjust it. If you're running un-weighted and you can see what you need to in the mirror, you won't be able to see if you're weighted and have any bow rise, or have the power seat height adjuster set differently. To see out of the mirror again, you need to loosen the hand nut on the front of the mirror, move the mirror to where you think it needs to be, tighten the hand nut, sit down in the captains chair to see if you got it right. If you didn't, you try again. You can't adjust the mirror without loosening the hand nut. It may be the same on the tower mounted mirror as well.

You need a Allen wrench to completely remove the mirror but it does fold down by another hand nut.

40 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

@ixfe - I can't quite tell from your other posts, but where do you mount the additional pump and switch for your auxiliary bow bag?  And that plate you have to mount the connector to - is that custom fabricated or available somewhere?   

Any other dealer add-ons you guys would suggest other than what has been discussed above?   We'll inquire about the clamping racks and STE.  

Is there a USB near the sport knob and phone cradle for charging phones?  I usually stream music and keep my phone plugged in while on the water.   

Oh, and anyone got a photo of the window mounted mirror?   I can't picture it vs. the tower mount.  

Here are pics from my '15 LSV

20150428_155908_zpszwrfmqxl.jpg

7825_zpsljhpg2kj.jpg

20150501_155814_zpstjyqi5rq.jpg

20150618_103832_zpstygndsbd.jpg

Here are pics from my '16 LSV 

90265772-2114-4621-9F51-D7016EF74107_zps

12800BF0-04FA-4216-B075-4C860E26739D_zps

B91E2FC7-D8B0-41CB-8332-B00729453896_zps

EA02CC38-9911-4481-BC1C-A878F7F48D98_zps

Ronnie, thanks for the review on the mirror.

IXFE, is that mounting plate a custom fabrication or a catalog number from somewhere?  Thanks for the pics.

4 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

IXFE, is that mounting plate a custom fabrication or a catalog number from somewhere?  Thanks for the pics.

Catalog number is "IXFEfronttanksupport" :biggrin:

I think IXFE is probably the best DIY man. Each things that is doing look amazing. Maybe you can ordre the part directly from him, who knows :thumbup:

Edited by smooky
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I have the new mirror on the windshield and I am a little disappointed with it. First, it's got to be way off to the side to not hit the windshield when the center window is open. It's really wide and you have to play with it to make it work in both positions. The real pain is you have to loosen the hand nut on the back to adjust it. If you're running un-weighted and you can see what you need to in the mirror, you won't be able to see if you're weighted and have any bow rise, or have the power seat height adjuster set differently. To see out of the mirror again, you need to loosen the hand nut on the front of the mirror, move the mirror to where you think it needs to be, tighten the hand nut, sit down in the captains chair to see if you got it right. If you didn't, you try again. You can't adjust the mirror without loosening the hand nut. It may be the same on the tower mounted mirror as well.

You need a Allen wrench to completely remove the mirror but it does fold down by another hand nut.

That's why I really like the tower arm for my mirror. No visibility problems or obstruction problems. 

2 hours ago, hethj7 said:

Ronnie, thanks for the review on the mirror.

Definitely not a standard part. Lots of guys have done this (Fman, pkh, and Stevo come to mind). I think Ronnie has a bow bag too, but I'm not sure how he has it plumbed. 

I can't take DIY credit for this. My dealer installed by ballast plumbing. The bracket on my '16 is probably easier to make than the one on my '15, but the one on my '15 was much sturdier (notice the '16 uses zip ties to hold the hose and fitting to bracket). the holes on the bracket line up to the bolts that hold the cushion in place.