Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Torque settings for Impeller

I changed out my impeller and sheared off one of the brass screws.  I managed to back it out.  Before I put the new ones in does anyone know how high of a torque setting I should use?  I did not think I had applied too much pressure when it had snapped on me. Thanks for the help.

its a 5/16 bolt so the inch torque is around 107, but I like to think of brass bolts like an oil filter. get it snug then maybe a 1/4 turn should do.

This year when I went to replace the impeller I noticed that I was two screws down, luckily they were across from each other so I never had any issues with leakage. I ordered new screws from Bakes, but I wanted to take the boat out while I waited... Second day out my wife came to pick me up after dropping the boat in the water from the trailer and she said that the temperature was 180°. We shut off the engine and I opened up the engine compartment. I had a feeling that one of the screws from the impeller cover had backed out. Sure enough I found the cover dislodged and a screw in the bilge. I put the screw back on and checked the other one to make sure that they were both tight. Salvaged the day, but learned a couple valuable lessons.

1) Check the tightness of the screws periodically (especially if you are down two screws) because they may back out.

2) When you are working on the engine at the lake, take the time to open side compartments to reach into the bilge. I ended up burning my arm trying to reach all the way to the bilge. Out of pure frustration I just kept reaching to get a screwdriver that I had dropped and got a nice blistering burn on my upper arm.