Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Raw Water Impeller

As part of getting ready for the new season, I ordered a new raw water impeller and set about installing my first one. This important component is jammed into the housing so tightly and while the existing one might have done another season, I knackered it struggling to remove it. I got it about half an inch out and it was still jammed tightly with the pressure of the rubber vanes hard against the inside housing. I tossed up whether I would lose all the grip with my pliers if I sprayed CRC in there, but a liberal dousing and the thing popped out like a pip.

The new one got sprayed liberally before a twist and a shove and it was in and seated properly - major relief and another thing ticked off!

Next time, spray a little mild soap in the housing, remove the safety lanyard and bump the engine over with the ignition. Keep you from knackering anything, including your knuckles. :)

Can some one let me know the part number for an impeller?

I want to keep a spare but can't find anything other than how to replace it in the Indmar manual.

That looks like the one I used - it had a Johnson logo on it.

The lubricant I used was Mac's spray on water soluble oil. I called it CRC to save on translation. The impeller gets a dose every time I flush the cooling system. Different ppm I suppose but I'm relaxed about it.

My last impeller came with a little tube of glyceron and it made install super easy, I plan on using glyceron at the end of this season to make the removal a snap.

Without knowing the year and engine of your boat, it's probably the third one down in this list.

I have a 2000 Escape LSV with the Indmar 340 5.7l.

Use two screwdrivers on your old one by prying on each side of the center piece of the impeller evenly. The old one will pop right out and just use a little liquid soap and water to slip your new impeller in.

Less than a five minute task.

Save your old impeller for a just incase emergency. I have seen times where a old impeller would have saved the day. I usually just lay my old impeller in the bilge and the water keeps it from drying out and I always know I have a spare.

Edited by Sunset_Bob

Use two screwdrivers to your old one by prying on each side of the center piece of the impeller evenly. The old one will pop right out and just use a little liquid soap and water to slip your new impeller in.

Less than a five minute task.

Save your old impeller for a just incase emergency. I have seen times where a old impeller would have saved the day. I usually just lay my old impeller in the bilge and the water keeps it from drying out and I always know I have a spare. Or if a buddy needs one.

The biggest problem that I have is putting the damn impeller back in without cutting up my hands. By nature, the impeller is larger than the housing that it goes back into. I was wondering how to get all the vanes to collapse / fold over at the same time. I might try a large zip- tie then snip it off once the impeller is halfway in.

Anyone else have this problem?

Man? I usually just squeeze the fins down and get it started and then just push it right in with the other hand. I've change mine every spring and never even gotten a scratch...?

With the new impeller suitably lubed up, I inserted it and gave it a turn at the same time so that when it engaged the splines in the centre, the vanes were bent over and the impeller could be pushed back onto its seat.

The biggest problem that I have is putting the damn impeller back in without cutting up my hands. By nature, the impeller is larger than the housing that it goes back into. I was wondering how to get all the vanes to collapse / fold over at the same time. I might try a large zip- tie then snip it off once the impeller is halfway in.

Anyone else have this problem?

Not with glyceron.

• 1 month later...

I had one go out Saturday. It was a snap geting it out because there were no blades left. In was easy puting the new one in with some binding spray which was handy in the boat and giving it a little twist on the way in.

When you blow one BE SURE that you pull the water hose off the coupling for the tranny cooler. There is a little screen there and several pieces of the impeller and some seaweed were pluged up there. (now I am thinking I better check it again because I didn't flush the hose between that connection and the pump)

I had almost no warning, was running fine when I shut down. Two hours later I noticed a slight squeel that sonded like I needed to tighten the belt when I started it and backed out of the dock. Then when I hit it, zero power. Engine was hot! (is there a governor that kicks in when the engine gets hot?)

Where do you get the prices in that chart above? I had to pay $60+ at a local marina. This would make a good idea for a group buy over the winter.

I second the idea of keeping a new or used spare on the boat along with the necessary wrench and soap. If your boat is close to 200 hours or 4 years old, change it and keep the old one around. (less if you beach your boat much)

Edited by GONORTH
(is there a governor that kicks in when the enging gets hot?)

Yes, If I remember right, it doesn't allow you to go over 2,000 rpm if engine temp is 200 degrees or above.

Sorry Go N. but, I have no sympathy for a guy who pulls out his impeller that has no fins. Obviously, you haven't changed it on a regular basis even though, we talk about when we should be doing it all the time.

Those prices are from skidim.com

Serves you right to pay double. Biggrin.gif

Sorry Go N. but, I have no sympathy for a guy who pulls out his impeller that has no fins. Obviously, you haven't changed it on a regular basis even though, we talk about when we should be doing it all the time.

Even changing them on a seasonal basis doesn't mean they wont fail. I had one fail two years ago with about 50 hours into the season. :)

Edited by Henken

Oh, that's harsh. But you are right. I knew better too, which is why it was the first thing I thought of when things went bad. It's one of those I was always gonna but never did it things. I even started shoping for a spare once but the price was high enough that I thought I'd look some more. It never occured to me to just change the dang thing and use the old one as a spare. Also, the boat only had 140 hours on it going into this season and never gets beached. Who would have thought, but then I guess these failures don't have to be related to beaching or hours of use.

The point I wanted to get across tho was to check the inlet to the tranny cooler coupling just avove the water pump. Not just after an impeller blow out but it would probably be a good idea to check it periodically during the season too. I don't remember ever reading that little bit of extra info before, the repair guy at the marina told me that. In some respects that bit of info was probably worth the extra $30 I spent on the impeller because it was so pluged up that the engine probably still would have over heated with the new impeller.

I have an 05 iRide with the 320 LCR. I would like to get a spare impellar just in case. I see the list Pete posted, but I am not sure which one I need. Anyone point me to the correct one. Thanks in advance!

Use the Globe "Run Dry" blue impellers. They will last 3x longer. They are far superior to the OEM and cost maybe a few bucks more. Globe touts them as being able to run dry for 15 minutes, but I have nver tried that.

I have an 05 iRide with the 320 LCR. I would like to get a spare impellar just in case. I see the list Pete posted, but I am not sure which one I need. Anyone point me to the correct one. Thanks in advance!

Most Bu's take the 0714 that I have highlighted as "fits my boat" but, I don't know what the displacement is on an LCR, it might take the 0715 if it's a 302.

Most Bu's take the 0714 that I have highlighted as "fits my boat" but, I don't know what the displacement is on an LCR, it might take the 0715 if it's a 302.

The LCR is the old carb motor with fuel injection - 5.7 litre Indmar. They all use the Johnson type impeller.