Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1995 Tantrum fuel tank sending unit

Hey guys,

I have a 1995 Malibu Tantrum and the fuel gauge is stuck on full. I am trying to locate the fuel tank so I can access the sending unit. Does anyone know where the fuel tank and sending unit is located? Thanks.

Edited by Dr3wy

Tank is at the very back of the boat.  You will have to remove the back cushion (nuts on the back side) and straps that hold the tank; also the filler tube.  I can't remember but you might be able to get at it through the blower vent (top back centre), I am sure you can see the top of the float, but probably won't be able to reach it.

Also check the wiring of the gauges and the function of the gauge, I just replaced all of mine a couple of years ago since they were all old.

Edited by solorex

The fuel gauge will read full when you short the sender lead to ground, so before you get too far, make sure there is no short in the wiring as the sender may be perfectly fine.  As noted, tank should be back at the transom, and most likely, the sending unit will be on the starboard side.

Great thank you for your help.  I am going to start with checking the wiring at the gauge first. 

59 minutes ago, solorex said:

Tank is at the very back of the boat.  You will have to remove the back cushion (nuts on the back side) and straps that hold the tank; also the filler tube.  I can't remember but you might be able to get at it through the blower vent (top back centre), I am sure you can see the top of the float, but probably won't be able to reach it.

Also check the wiring of the gauges and the function of the gauge, I just replaced all of mine a couple of years ago since they were all old.

Solorex, if you don't mind me asking, where did you buy your gauges from? My entire dash needs to be redone. The dash is a bit faded and gauges are in need of some work. Everything is still original. Thanks again!

Wish i had a pic on this computer.  I completely re-did the center console with a piece of Alumilite and wrapped it in 3M carbon fiber decal.  I used a complete set of Livorsi Mega Series Gauges: http://www.livorsi.com/catalog/dc.htm

I chose white face with polished bezels and anodized blue rings.  Turned out really sweet and I was able to put the stereo where I wanted it.

At the same time a removed all the crappy factory fuses and replaced it with a remote fuse panel (with standard blade fuses) by BlueSea Systems: https://www.bluesea.com/products/5025/ST_Blade_Fuse_Block_-_6_Circuits_with_Negative_Bus_and_Cover

I mounted the fuse panel behind the centre console out of the way. 

Now I just gotta save up some $$ for the Livorsi GPS ski speedometer and tachometer (Canadian dollar really sucks right now).

As Woodski mentioned, you may just have a gauge/wiring problem chase that before you get into pulling the tank out.  The stock wiring and gauges in my boat were in horrible condition, yours might be similar.