Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Crack in bow ballast connection

The last couple times been out in boat after ballasting, taking off with a rider, I would get water down by feet, under steering console. At first thought it was spilled water, no big deal, then last time happened same spot. After checking things out more thouroughly my floor under storage below glove box wet, so far doesn't appear any stereo componants wet, behind my subs under steering column wet, and there is moisure between floor and on top of center ballast tank.

It appears to be the connection at the bow of boat under forward seat cushion. The hose that inserts into tank is has good connection, but what the hose connects to is cracked! It seems to be a plastic piece that screws into the tank which in turn plugs into the hose.

The boat is the 04 LSV with only one switch for bow and center ballast. I always thought it was 1 tank but it appears to be 2 with a hose connecting the 2 for that year. Can anyone correct me if I'm wrong?

Wondering if there is anywhere to get plastic piece to replace or is it something dealer has to get? Dealer is about an hour drive so if I can save myself and them time, great.

Also, recently had forward ballast pumps replaced, they've worked flawlessly, but now seems like the fill pumps don't have a check valve or something. After we dump ballast if stays in water they've been filling back up.

First post - I'll try to keep em shorter in the future.

Same thing happened on my 05 VLX and my dealer got the new piece at a local plumbing supply store (it was under warranty, so I didn't take it apart, and it needed to be fixed asap because I had sold the boat). Should be a pretty easy fix once you take it apart.

As far as your front tanks filling automatically, it's fairly common. I just shut off the ball valve between the intake pump and hull whenever I empty mine. Just remember to open it before you fill them.

I have had two of them crack on me. Apparently the ones malibu uses are not so good. I bought replacement pieces at West Marine or Boaters World. Home Depot and Lowes carry some pieces, but I could not find the one I needed there. You might have better luck at your local stores though. Piece comes off easily and goes back on easily. Remember to put nylon tape on the threads.

The connection for mine came apart last week. It doesn't appear to be cracked, but I can't get it threaded back together. It came apart when I took on some major water with a bow dip. I had 4 big boys up in the bow and they were quite startled when water came rushing in at them with some big rollers. The volume of water floated the bow tank and caused the connection to come apart. I figure that I will let the dealer fix it later when I take the boat in some time as it is under warranty. I don't use it that much anyway, so not a critical issue right now.

On a side note - I have noticed that the '06 VLX bow dips much more easily than my '01 SS VLX did. I have to be much more careful. The one that swamped the boat happened when I was pulling some tubers and was coming around slowly to pick up two of them in the water. I was right by them when 3 or 4 big rollers were heading my way with the bow at an oblique angle. I couldn't manuever due to the nearby kids in the water and there were 4 guys up in the bow. They moved out from the bow quickly soon after. I pulled up the center panel to let all of the water drop down into the bilge and then sat for about 10 minutes letting the bilge pump empty out the water.