Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Test drove T23 Tonight Bad Reg Wave?

livesound

Hi All

Sorry to start a new thread on surfing,  how ever I'm in the process of shopping the boat,  and i absolutely love the T23, everything about it is all i could have hoped for.  But the Reg wave.  

The set up

1100 in each locker

650 bow

hard tanks

wedge down tried up but no

2 skinny dudes

1 skinny wife

the fat guy thats me 260 pounds

one more 200 pound guy

So with the 1235 prop she struggled.  the wave looks good.  but there is no lip.  tried to empty the bow sack,  it kinda helped.  filled bow sack emptied the center.  meh.  he is going to outfit it with the 2315 prop?  any other suggestion.  i really want to pull the trigger not his one.  but if i can't get that wave.  i also do surf style board.

thanks!

x5Fobn

s72t09

1235 isn't the greatest. A 15" prop will definitely help and should not struggle. Try to add a little more weight to the port side...just a small list. What speed were you running? I have found the wedge down always gives more of a vert face. And bow weight for sure...especially with 1100's in back

Well we have had allot of rain down here in Austin tx,  but it was paddle wheel,  we ended up running a little fast like 11.8 to 12.2 i tried slowing it down a little and it would wash out.  i think this was a prop problem.  and yes i liked wedge down also i tried to post pics with flickr didn't work.  GRRRRR  

Prop rotation. Solution is learn to ride starboard or get a reverse rotation trans and prop. 

• Like 3

ya i understand the prop rotation.  its the same as my MC25,  how ever the goofy on that boat is terrible and reg is great with go surf assist tabs.  i have seen pics of other waves on a t23 and 22 that are just as good,  so i know there is a trick to it.  but its finding that trick to make it more lippy.

ahopkins22LSV

As @Anderson24 said I would slow down to 11ish and drain some out of the starboard rear tank to create a bit of a list. Wedge down too. 

What engine is in the boat? I am shocked you were at 12mph with the 1235. 

Upload the pictures to photobucket and then paste the image code here.

In a 2014 A20, even though they don't completely fill, I run 750 rears full and burped, 950 front full and burped plus  800 stock and wedge.  Problem to me sounds like extreme under weighting the bow in such a big boat.  Yes I have a better goofy wave I love to ride it goofy and regular heels, so much so I have now forced myself to ride my regular port wave.  but for either side  You kind of have to sink these boats a good bit to get that wave everyone is raving about.  G series doesn't need all that weight to do the job , Axis does.  And if you did fill rears and everyone was hanging out on back seat area that definitely makes it worse if the nose is under weighted(wave doesn't form at all sometimes)  I'm lucky in terms of ballast as I have the old design allowing mushroom bag.  With walk thru, You end up needing triangle locker sac and sac on front seats to equal or probably easily exceed my mushroom in the locker.  Most use lead and lots to keep their seats.  I lose my walkway over chillax seat cause mushroom pokes up through locker hole and seat has to be in up position not to interfere with bag and pnp connection hardware.   it only allows two to sit on either side of front bubble of bag in seating area( and they have to carefully move up there unless I drain the bag or wait to fill it and their kind of stuck up there unless they can carefully walk on locker edge between windshield )moral of story, lead (I don't use) and keep seating in front or load the front with 3 200 pounders and invite them every time and you still might need some lead.  

We surf 9.8 to 10.4, wave is real jacked up slower , less length, so even I could use some big front riders we never have , just me and wife alone.  

Small boat allows me to run 1235 with the 330hp indmar.  I'm sure if I had a crew and full ballast load and wedge I'm sure it would take some time to come to plane for a wakeboarder, just don't have a crew to try, maybe it would handle it?

Edited by granddaddy55
11 hours ago, Technicallyabu said:

Prop rotation. Solution is learn to ride starboard or get a reverse rotation trans and prop. 

I ride regular and now I suck at it cause I went goofy when I bought the boat and saw difference in 2014, now that I butterfly fractured my left femur last year, my problem is even worse cause I really have to focus on the weak front leg and my technique .  I force myself to ride heals and toes on both sides almost every weekend.  Working hard on my goofy heal side on port wave.  Had my best surf that way in my buddy's G23 this weekend.   Will practice more on my boat .  LOVE going all 4 ways, I'm sure it will pay off down  the line

10 hours ago, livesound said:

ya i understand the prop rotation.  its the same as my MC25,  how ever the goofy on that boat is terrible and reg is great with go surf assist tabs.  i have seen pics of other waves on a t23 and 22 that are just as good,  so i know there is a trick to it.  but its finding that trick to make it more lippy.

That trick is slow it down and really weight the bow and fully weight the rears and use wedge, as noted above it ups the "rampiness"  

13 hours ago, livesound said:

My regular wave got a whole lot better when this year we got better at burping the mushroom bag from the stem bubble in walkway towards the mushroom head and got even more weight in the nose.  Also kept pumps running much more often to counteract passive draining on all bags from nose rising and my leaks on my mushroom pnp plastic connection hardware with the plastic thread ports on bags

my minimum setup

750 rears assume 650 min

800 stock.   800

950 front  assume 800 min

fuel 45 gallons full eac trip assume 300 min after usage

wedge assume 1000

batteries, anchors and wife

4500 lbs in a 20 foot boat!!!!!!!! 

Oh forgot the bilge water from the leaks that offsets some  fuel usage, I don't run the bilge, and I guess my auto bilge only works with higher depths , but their is always plenty to empty with switch at end of day and the middle plug in parking lot 

Edited by granddaddy55
20 hours ago, livesound said:

Hi All

Sorry to start a new thread on surfing,  how ever I'm in the process of shopping the boat,  and i absolutely love the T23, everything about it is all i could have hoped for.  But the Reg wave.  

The set up

1100 in each locker

650 bow

hard tanks

wedge down tried up but no

2 skinny dudes

1 skinny wife

the fat guy thats me 260 pounds

one more 200 pound guy

So with the 1235 prop she struggled.  the wave looks good.  but there is no lip.  tried to empty the bow sack,  it kinda helped.  filled bow sack emptied the center.  meh.  he is going to outfit it with the 2315 prop?  any other suggestion.  i really want to pull the trigger not his one.  but if i can't get that wave.  i also do surf style board.

thanks!

x5Fobn

s72t09

I run 1000 in each rear locker and 1000 in bow, my wake is mackin! I use the wedge if I want a taller face  but usually keep it on the first click. I tend to like a skim style wake to surf.

Edited by ConnollyCrew

IMG_1103_zpsx2um19ok.jpgIMG_1102_zpszda4h86r.jpg

a couple of photos here.  also T23 reasonably fitted he is trying to get me at 73500 this is with a trailer,  i was thinking 69500.  any one have any advise on price?

17 minutes ago, livesound said:

IMG_1103_zpsx2um19ok.jpgIMG_1102_zpszda4h86r.jpg

a couple of photos here.  also T23 reasonably fitted he is trying to get me at 73500 this is with a trailer,  i was thinking 69500.  any one have any advise on price?

Did you like the wave any better? What was the ballast setup? Prop pull any better?

41 minutes ago, Anderson24 said:

Did you like the wave any better? What was the ballast setup? Prop pull any better?

Sorry this is from the original day i test drove,  it just took me a minute to figure out.  it has more push then the NXT i test drove last night.  just get a bit of lip to it and i will be golden i think.

What board is that and how do you like it? I'm hefty and am shopping for a real board, this CWB ride isn't cutting it for me. 

Just now, That Guy said:

What board is that and how do you like it? I'm hefty and am shopping for a real board, this CWB ride isn't cutting it for me. 

Chaos 5-2,  and its great all the buoyancy you could ever hope for.  Inland surfer makes a new one thats a little more aggressive as well as the red rider,  there is also the Phase 5 kong.  all are excellent for us bigger riders.  i think i may look at the phase 5 kong its carbon fiber hopefully not as easily dingable as mine.

18 minutes ago, That Guy said:

Save your money and buy a Soulcraft fit for you. You won't regret it. 

Just now, Anderson24 said:

Save your money and buy a Soulcraft fit for you. You won't regret it. 

I dunno.... it does depend a bit on skill too.  some people would be very happy with a "stand there and drink a beer" kinda board.  I never put newbs on one of our SCs because it never ends well.

1 minute ago, shawndoggy said:

I dunno.... it does depend a bit on skill too.  some people would be very happy with a "stand there and drink a beer" kinda board.  I never put newbs on one of our SCs because it never ends well.

True. You have to learn the basic skills. Once I have taught people how to ride my "boat" board, I give them a whirl on my soulcraft and their jaws drop. Some people can't handle it...but if you are looking for a board that won't hold you back...it's tough to beat. Especially for bigger guys who may need something a little more tailored to their size. Obviously your riding style may dictate what brand you go with too...

I can ride ropeless, and pump and carve up and down the wave but I have to keep all my weight on the front foot or pumping constantly to keep up. That's why I think I need a new board. I'm 265-270 and definitely enjoy my my beer but I want to learn some spins and catch some air!

the souldcraft,  the only one they make is more long board style I've kinda stayed away from those designs personally. depends where you want to end up,  I'm starting to do 360's and catch a couple inches of air.

2 minutes ago, livesound said:

the souldcraft,  the only one they make is more long board style I've kinda stayed away from those designs personally. depends where you want to end up,  I'm starting to do 360's and catch a couple inches of air.

huh?  They definitely don't only make longboards.

27 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

huh?  They definitely don't only make longboards.

i went to the site,  to see if they had anything my local dealer doesn't carry,  and the only thing they have rated for some one over 200lbs is the soul slider.  the convo was a board for big guys.  there are more now then there were a couple of years ago.