Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Raptor first service

Hi,

I have just hit 11 hours on my 2016vtx and need to change the oil and transmission fluid. How hard is this to do on the raptor?  Im new to malibu boats and have no experince with a vdrive (previously had outboards)

we leave our boat at the lake and the service agent is about an hors drive in the wrong direction to home so it would be great to be able to do these minor jobs myself.

Is there a good how to guide that someone can direct me to?  

Cheers

Seems like it's worth the drive & hassle to see the dealer if for no other reason than to protect your warranty - especially if you have no previous experience.

Oil change is REALLY easy.  the only time I needed to open the hatch was to put oil back in.  I use this pump and bought a brass 1/4" NPT to 3/8" compression and hook it right to the hose on the bottom.  I did everything through the drivers side rear transom seat (just remove the bin).  I got 7.5 quarts out of mine.  Oil filter can be reached through that same seat.  I used channel locks to loosen it.  Just have a plastic zip lock ready and its zero mess.  Because the oil filter is mounted so high, there is no spillage but I wrapped a towel around the canister just in case.  Pop in the new filter and put 7.5 back in - done.

For the vdrive and trans I used the same pump.  What you get out is what you put in.  I only got about 1 quart of vdrive oil (holds 1.25) and don't remember how much trans but I think 2 quarts (holds 2.3?).  If you are doing it on your lift be sure to warm it up before the oil change ... and then afterwards, warm it up again but cycle from forward to reverse a half a dozen times.  Then back on the lift and to the vdrive and trans.  If its cold it will pump slow and you will get less.  

I couldn't be more thrilled about doing maintenance on my 23 LSV.  All the horror stories about getting to the impeller .. guess what, you can get to it through that same rear transom seat.  Oh and draining the heat exchanger also.  

Edited by pauley71
  • 2 months later...
On 6/7/2016 at 10:48 AM, pauley71 said:

@Oil change is REALLY easy.  the only time I needed to open the hatch was to put oil back in.  I use this pump and bought a brass 1/4" NPT to 3/8" compression and hook it right to the hose on the bottom.  I did everything through the drivers side rear transom seat (just remove the bin).  I got 7.5 quarts out of mine.  Oil filter can be reached through that same seat.  I used channel locks to loosen it.  Just have a plastic zip lock ready and its zero mess.  Because the oil filter is mounted so high, there is no spillage but I wrapped a towel around the canister just in case.  Pop in the new filter and put 7.5 back in - done.

For the vdrive and trans I used the same pump.  What you get out is what you put in.  I only got about 1 quart of vdrive oil (holds 1.25) and don't remember how much trans but I think 2 quarts (holds 2.3?).  If you are doing it on your lift be sure to warm it up before the oil change ... and then afterwards, warm it up again but cycle from forward to reverse a half a dozen times.  Then back on the lift and to the vdrive and trans.  If its cold it will pump slow and you will get less.  

I couldn't be more thrilled about doing maintenance on my 23 LSV.  All the horror stories about getting to the impeller .. guess what, you can get to it through that same rear transom seat.  Oh and draining the heat exchanger also.  

@pauley71 Can you list the oil, oil filter, trans fluid, vdrive fluid and where you sourced them? 

Oil - Mobil One full synthetic 5w30 - Walmart ... always Walmart.  Don't shop around .. go to Walmart.

The rest was from Bakes ...  I got enough to do my 10-20hr and next service.  You would only need quantities 1, 2, & 3 if you are just buying for one service.  Remember that over $100 is free shipping.

1. Product ID: 501022 
Product Name: Indmar 501022 Oil Filter Cartridge for 6.2L Ford Engines 
Price: $11.99 
Quantity: 2 
2. Product ID: 875750003034 
Product Name: Indmar Synthetic ATF Transmission Oil Quart
Price: $13.99 
Quantity: 3 
3. Product ID: 875750003027 
Product Name: Indmar ATF Dextron Mercron Transmission Oil Quart
Price: $9.99 
Quantity: 5 

12 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

Oil - Mobil One full synthetic 5w30 - Walmart ... always Walmart.  Don't shop around .. go to Walmart.

The rest was from Bakes ...  I got enough to do my 10-20hr and next service.  You would only need quantities 1, 2, & 3 if you are just buying for one service.  Remember that over $100 is free shipping.

But I don't want to go to Walmart! ;)

2 different Tranny fluids?

It looks like the oil drain hose can fit out the drain plug hole? That's how I'd do it.

Edited by teamerickson
32 minutes ago, teamerickson said:

It looks like the oil drain hose can fit out the drain plug hole? That's how I'd do it.

Mine is on a lift 365 days a year otherwise, I agree that would be simpler. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, thtrog said:

I use that exact same extractor and my only pick is that you have to stop and empty it, then go back and finish (only holds ~5 quarts). 

Cut and pasted from another post I made - 

Cross reference is the Wix 57186 on the oil filter, which is what I used.  I think Napa 7186 also works.   Note, it didn't come with a new ring, so save the old one or make sure you get a replacement.   I had very little luck finding a readily available replacement for the Indmar V drive fluid and picked it up from Bakes.   Even the Delvac that the Indmar fluid replaces wasn't in stock at O'Reilly here, and ordering it through Amazon or Walmart resulted in gallon or 5 gallon jugs and the v-drive takes very little fluid (I think I replaced exactly a quart on mine).   

I initially tried to just use the drain hose out the back of the boat and it took FOREVER to drain the engine oil (engine wasn't warm).   After it started trickling, I used the Mityvac to suck more out.  I still only got about 7 quarts out.    

The Mityvac worked great on the Vdrive and tranny, but again I got out slightly less fluid in each of those than the manual calls for.   I'm also pretty certain the factory (or dealer) had both of those slightly overfilled.  Hope I don't have seal issues later on due to that.  The V drive actually released a little pressure when I pulled the dipstick, which I've never had happen before.  

By the way, access to the new cartridge style filter is super easy.  I sat on the swim deck and could reach it easily.  I just took a ziplock bag out and pulled it straight into that.  Note, the cap on the cartridge is really tough to get off the filter.   Just pull HARD.  I posted up on here as I thought I was going to break something.  Turns our I just needed to man up and keep pulling to get it off.  

FYI, I think there is an error in the manual and I think the engine holds 8 quarts.  

10 hours ago, hethj7 said:

Cut and pasted from another post I made - 

Cross reference is the Wix 57186 on the oil filter, which is what I used.  I think Napa 7186 also works.   Note, it didn't come with a new ring, so save the old one or make sure you get a replacement.   I had very little luck finding a readily available replacement for the Indmar V drive fluid and picked it up from Bakes.   Even the Delvac that the Indmar fluid replaces wasn't in stock at O'Reilly here, and ordering it through Amazon or Walmart resulted in gallon or 5 gallon jugs and the v-drive takes very little fluid (I think I replaced exactly a quart on mine).   

I initially tried to just use the drain hose out the back of the boat and it took FOREVER to drain the engine oil (engine wasn't warm).   After it started trickling, I used the Mityvac to suck more out.  I still only got about 7 quarts out.    

The Mityvac worked great on the Vdrive and tranny, but again I got out slightly less fluid in each of those than the manual calls for.   I'm also pretty certain the factory (or dealer) had both of those slightly overfilled.  Hope I don't have seal issues later on due to that.  The V drive actually released a little pressure when I pulled the dipstick, which I've never had happen before.  

By the way, access to the new cartridge style filter is super easy.  I sat on the swim deck and could reach it easily.  I just took a ziplock bag out and pulled it straight into that.  Note, the cap on the cartridge is really tough to get off the filter.   Just pull HARD.  I posted up on here as I thought I was going to break something.  Turns our I just needed to man up and keep pulling to get it off.  

FYI, I think there is an error in the manual and I think the engine holds 8 quarts.  

When using a vacuum pump to remove the fluid, it will only work until to top of the drain hole is exposed.  Then it just starts sucking air.  If the drain hole is on the bottom, you can get it all.  But if it's on the side, you always leave a little.  Gravity draining will obviously drain to the bottom of the hole.

19 hours ago, pauley71 said:

Thanks @pauley71 I took most of your advice except shopping around.... haha. I like to avoid the Walmarts around here at all costs and Amazon happens to have the 5 quart Mobile 1 for the same price. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I4E91GI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks like this filter will work as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DRHMQO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm at 110 hours so just need an oil/filter change and new impeller according to Indmar's maintenance chart below.

http://www.indmar.com/Libraries/Manuals/Indmar_Maintenance_Schedule.sflb.ashx

Picking up this impeller

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013HOWKTE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2KJVUOJSHYEGY

and this puller.

• 7 months later...
On 9/6/2016 at 2:53 PM, teamerickson said:

One advantage to the pump is it's fast, even when the engine oil is cold.  Gravity drain takes a lot longer.  At least this has been my experience with each method.

I usually do a 5 hr oil change and 20 hr.  Probably overkill but I like fresh oil in engine after first 5 hours of use.

Edited by Fman
  • 1 month later...
On 6/7/2016 at 10:48 AM, pauley71 said:

Oil change is REALLY easy.  the only time I needed to open the hatch was to put oil back in.  I use this pump and bought a brass 1/4" NPT to 3/8" compression and hook it right to the hose on the bottom.  I did everything through the drivers side rear transom seat (just remove the bin).  I got 7.5 quarts out of mine.  Oil filter can be reached through that same seat.  I used channel locks to loosen it.  Just have a plastic zip lock ready and its zero mess.  Because the oil filter is mounted so high, there is no spillage but I wrapped a towel around the canister just in case.  Pop in the new filter and put 7.5 back in - done.

@pauley71

If You don't mind a few questions for you...:)

Are you using synthetic blend or full synthetic?  50 or 75 hr change intervals.   Manual is saying synthetic blend and 75 hr intervals.  Was just wondering what guys are doing.  Also when you install new canister filter will any oil come out or is it drip free?  I know the spin one I had to wrap in a plastic bag.  How tight do you install the cap and new gasket?  Do you prime the filter with any oil before installing cap? Is it really that easy?  Seems like a much better setup than the old spin on style.

Thanks for any info....my dealer just did my 20hr but I will be taking it from here.

36 minutes ago, Fman said:

@pauley71

If You don't mind a few questions for you...:)

Are you using synthetic blend or full synthetic?  50 or 75 hr change intervals.   Manual is saying synthetic blend and 75 hr intervals.  Was just wondering what guys are doing.  Also when you install new canister filter will any oil come out or is it drip free?  I know the spin one I had to wrap in a plastic bag.  How tight do you install the cap and new gasket?  Do you prime the filter with any oil before installing cap? Is it really that easy?  Seems like a much better setup than the old spin on style.

Thanks for any info....my dealer just did my 20hr but I will be taking it from here.

I use full syn Mobil One from Walmart. I'm doing 50 hrs following the reminders on the screen (close to my 150hr service now). I don't do a winter layup change because it's only a few months. Is the 17's a 75 hr interval?

The canister is super easy. First couple of times I wrapped the canister in a paper towel in case it dropped but it didn't. No mess at all. I keep a zip lock bag handy and transition the filter into it. The filter actually sticks to the cap so I use the zip lock bag to grip it and pull it off. 

I tighten it the same as a oil filter. Tight and then a 1/4 turn. So much better.  No priming necessary.  The filter sits so high, you could probabaly do filter change without draining the oil but I always do the filter when it's drained  

I get my filters from amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DRHMQO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

28 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

I use full syn Mobil One from Walmart. I'm doing 50 hrs following the reminders on the screen (close to my 150hr service now). I don't do a winter layup change because it's only a few months. Is the 17's a 75 hr interval?

The canister is super easy. First couple of times I wrapped the canister in a paper towel in case it dropped but it didn't. No mess at all. I keep a zip lock bag handy and transition the filter into it. The filter actually sticks to the cap so I use the zip lock bag to grip it and pull it off. 

I tighten it the same as a oil filter. Tight and then a 1/4 turn. So much better.  No priming necessary.  The filter sits so high, you could probabaly do filter change without draining the oil but I always do the filter when it's drained  

I get my filters from amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DRHMQO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My friend has a '17 MB with Raptor 440 which is Indmar and his interval is 75 hrs in his manual using synthetic blend.   I need to confirm and check my manual but assuming it's going to be the same.  I am sure using synthetic would be even better than a blend?

IMO, lube is lube. If it meets the specs, why does it matter if it's dino or synthetic.  Blends are a way for manufacturers to save money and get the benefits of full synthetic.