Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tandem Malibu by Eagle Clearance Lights Issue

Tags

All,

Strange issue with the clearance lights on our 2010 Malibu by Eagle trailer. They work fine up until about 5 minutes into the return trip after putting the boat back on the trailer. Leaving the ramp i always check them and they all work. 5 or so minutes in the trip home the clearance lights cut out. All other signals work just not the clearance lights. They mysteriously start working again once i get home and put the boat in the garage. Im assuming its a short of some kind but the timing of them going out is odd.

Anyone experienced this?

7 hours ago, Tags said:

All,

Strange issue with the clearance lights on our 2010 Malibu by Eagle trailer. They work fine up until about 5 minutes into the return trip after putting the boat back on the trailer. Leaving the ramp i always check them and they all work. 5 or so minutes in the trip home the clearance lights cut out. All other signals work just not the clearance lights. They mysteriously start working again once i get home and put the boat in the garage. Im assuming its a short of some kind but the timing of them going out is odd.

Anyone experienced this?

Probably not a short (would blow a fuse), more likely an intermittent open.  Most likely the ground connection to those lights.

1 hour ago, MadMan said:

Probably not a short (would blow a fuse), more likely an intermittent open.  Most likely the ground connection to those lights.

I noticed a ground that has 3 wires running to it that sits on underside of the swing away mount. I had replaced the connections on this previously. Im worried the ground is loose or broken somewhere else that i can't see. Assuming my only option is to re-wire :( 

• 4 weeks later...

calling all experts on this.....

The clearance lights stay on for about 5 minutes then shut off, all other lights still work. If i turn the car off and then back on again they'll come back on for a minute then turn off again. If i stop the car turn it off but put on the lights then the clearance lights will stay on forever. It seems to have something to do with having them on while the car is driving. Could it be that the car is picking up a short or similar and killing power to them?

so i think i found the issue. The license plate light looks like it was partly melted inside. The ground for the license plate light is actually part of the bracket that mounts to the wheel arch, there isn't a ground wire as such. To me this seems kinda crazy. Im assuming that it had melted because it couldn't earth or that the earth was inconsistent.

• 1 month later...
On 7/11/2016 at 9:14 AM, Tags said:

http://eagletrailer.com/manuals/Categorized-Inventory-RETAIL.pdf

here is the parts catalog pdf, on the lighting page looks like a new wire package would run you around $30 , id call eagle to confirm the part# and order for a winter project. I have a wire fish you can borrow if needed.

37 minutes ago, Stevo said:

http://eagletrailer.com/manuals/Categorized-Inventory-RETAIL.pdf

here is the parts catalog pdf, on the lighting page looks like a new wire package would run you around $30 , id call eagle to confirm the part# and order for a winter project. I have a wire fish you can borrow if needed.

thanks man! I'll get on to them today.

• 5 weeks later...

started from the plug and worked my way back inspecting the ground wire. Found a very very very small section where the insulation had worn through and the wire was exposed and likely causing a short. Replaced that section and im happy to report that the lights were operational all the way to and from Berryessa.