Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2007 VLX Speakers

Blyon70

Just picked up a 2007 Wakesetter VLX last weekend and the speakers are shot. I've searched high and low but cannot find out what replacement speakers will fit. I have 6 in boat speakers and 2 Titan cans. What speakers will fit in the 2 Titan cans? What speakers will fit in the boat itself? Looking for a low cost option for decent speakers. 

Thanks

What amps do you have driving the speakers? That, and where you want to be on the price/quality/loudness spectrum will determine speaker choice.

Search the forum for LOTS of threads on amp and speaker upgrades.

Welcome to the Crew!

4 hours ago, Blyon70 said:

Looking for a low cost option for decent speakers

Just about 6.5" marine speaker is going to fit the on-boat locations. For those alpha-1 pods, you will likely be looking for a speaker with a pole mounted tweeter and no attached grill. This is due to the pods nose piece. 

Be careful with the speaker depth on the speakers in the dash under the windshield.  I replaced the stock kickers in my 06 with infinity 6.5's and they are too deep for the mounting location.  the front of the speakers sits about 3/4" up from being flush, I still have to take it all back apart to build some adaptors so they fit better.

The issue with adding rings to the dash mounted speakers, is the speaker is likely already close to the windshield and frame. Depth is typically not an issue on the STBD side, but on some years/models, the port side magnet is actually in the glove box. Fixing the depth issue there would require drilling a 3.5" hole in the back right corner of the glove box. 

On my 01 I went with the Polk mm651um. These speakers rip!! I want to say I spent $320 for 4 speakers. Very good speakers for the price. 

I have the MM651's(not UM) too. They fit well on my '03, and they are pretty darn good for the money.  I have the same pods on my tower.  I am not an audiophile, but was digging around and realized my front speakers were being run off the HU.  I have a small 4 channel JL amp 75 w per channel and realized the tower speakers were being fed from the 2 channels for the fronts.  Just picked up another JL JX360 and will be powering the tower with that. I have no Idea what the MBQuarts up there are rated at so I may be looking for new speakers for those cans too....lol.

BTW on the fronts, they are tight.  Had to take the windshield off to get to them. There is plenty of room underneath, but might have to do some trimming on the drivers side depending on how the holes line up.

Speakers... I'm running 8 of the 6.5" Rockford Fosgate 262's
They aren't bad when powered right. Pretty bright, have good sound, not hard to tune. But I wouldn't say they're the best out there. Previous owner installed them, but they sound good enough that I won't bother replacing them. 
https://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosgate-M262B-6-5-Inch-Speakers/dp/B001SPXLJ8/ 

As for power... these amps are kinda the hidden secret of the audio world.
The Precision Power p900.4

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KVEPVO/ 

They constantly put out more power when benched/dyno'd than they're rated for. Each amp powers two pair of 6.5's, I run an RCA splitter to drop signal to both channels on the amp. Best $300 I've spent on the boat yet.