Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1235 on the Rocks

TOAST

We've been enoying the new 1235 prop from the group buy the last month. (thanks again D-Goose!)

Sadly, our relationship w/ the 1235 came to an abrupt end on Thurs when we hit some rocks just down river from Peach Cove on the upper Willamette while surfing. Cry.gifCry.gif

I knew there were some rock extending from the riverbank, and was staying to the middle. (In fact blue Malibu passed between us and the bank on the 'rocky side' of the river. So I thought we were OK. But we just topped some rocks. I chalk it up to a combination of the river a little lower than usual, surfing configuration lowering the back end of the boat.

Everyone was fine - we leisurley limped back to the dock.

post-305-1153643518_thumb.jpg

post-305-1153643558_thumb.jpg

Based on the photos, ACME said this one was beyond repair - blades folded both ways and some pieces missing. (and due to a mix up, they don't have blocks for the 1235 anyway -- they are working that!) So, I'm replacing it. I tried to sweet talk Propellers Online to replace at the group buy price, but no luck. I plan to order another one anyway.

We ran with the 537 today. No vibration or noticeable problems. There is some very minor scrapes on the leading edge of the wedge and on the bottom of the rudder.

Any idea what I do for that? File the down? Repaint the wedge? Nothing?

Ouch. Cry.gif

I feel for you. I know the area you speak of quite well, although I fortunately have not had the intimate introduction you had to the rock ledge. I did however have such a meeting years ago with a well known rock ledge on the bend just above Champoeg. I had my I/O then and simply raised the drive, hopped out, stood on the ledge and swapped out the prop. We were back on our way in under 5 minutes. There are some advantages to an I/O. The bottom of the outdrive had some scrapes on it and I simply filed them down and never had a problem with it again, so I would think you could do the same for your wedge and rudder if they are not bent and there is no vibrations.

You might still try to have the prop repaired. The local shop I have used is:

Independent Marine Propeller Shop | (503) 286-3552

8675 North Crawford Street, Portland, OR, 97203

It is located under the St. John's bridge

I have also dropped off props with Pat Fogg at:

Superior Inboard Repair

17530 SW 63rd

Lake Oswego, OR 97035

Phone: 503-699-1821

Fax: 503-699-1729

Ouch is right. I too feel for you. I dinged my 537 last season worse than that and they were able to recondition it just fine. It actually had splits in every blade and it came back looking brand new for $75.00. Is it the fact it's a 1235 or that it's too dinged up?

OB - thanks for the contacts. I'll check them out - but it will take a while.

As to why ACME thought it was hopeless -- Bill thought that the fact that the blades were bent both directions and that some of the prop had been shredded off (ie small chunks missing) would require too much welding. Also somehow the 1235 went to production and they missed the step to get the blocks created. So they are going back to get some blocks made now. So they wouldn't be able to repair it soon anyway.

I ordered a new one. I'll hang on to the 'souvenier' and see if on of OB's suggestions can take it on in the Fall.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Any suggestions on cleaning up the rudder and wedge?

Man that stinks. Sorry to hear about the prop and not able to receive same price. Sounds like next yr I will have to set up a 2nd GB on props. I head the same thing about no blocks for the 1235 but some of the good prop shops can still fix them. But with as bad as yours is I don't think it would be easy for a repair.

below peach cove you want to stay on the HWY 99 side. You should be about 50 yards off the shore near the island heading down to the narrows. You will want to stay next to the island until you are past it and then you will want to line up with the white boat house just above the red and green bouys above the narrows.

As to the peach cove I have seen numerous people go where they should not be in the first place. Do not cut the corner by the big blockbuster house. The channel is off the north side shore;go deep into the peach cove corner and square it off following the island on down. Too many people cut the corner at peach cove(where people camp) when it is only 6-7 feet deep at the most, Just because the masses go that way does not mean they are even in the right ball park on the lake.

The area that obksi is talking about is the area that you should hug the north shore or right side if you are heading up river. that area is where you dont want to be on the left half of the river. It is getting shallower as we speak but water is beautiful at 0600 hours.

Edited by blake0401

Where is peach cove? Our short stretch of river is getting dangerously shallow and we might be done for the year down there soon Cry.gif Its down to 4.6 ft. in some places Shocking.gif We are talking about starting to go to Newberg or Willsonville to ride but we don't know the river at all around those parts. Do you guys have any good maps with places to avoid? The willamette has so many dangerous areas with rocks, sand bars, and shallow spots that you wouldn't think would be there.

below peach cove you want to stay on the HWY 99 side. You should be about 50 yards off the shore near the island heading down to the narrows. You will want to stay next to the island until you are past it and then you will want to line up with the white boat house just above the red and green bouys above the narrows.

As to the peach cove I have seen numerous people go where they should not be in the first place. Do not cut the corner by the big blockbuster house. The channel is off the north side shore;go deep into the peach cove corner and square it off following the island on down. Too many people cut the corner at peach cove(where people camp) when it is only 6-7 feet deep at the most, Just because the masses go that way does not mean they are even in the right ball park on the lake.

The area that obksi is talking about is the area that you should hug the north shore or right side if you are heading up river. that area is where you dont want to be on the left half of the river. It is getting shallower as we speak but water is beautiful at 0600 hours.

I thought my lake was shallow in spots, but that's tricky stuff. Sounds like you need more markers on the water - that navigation by trial and error is expensive. I bet prop repair is big business in your area!

I thought my lake was shallow in spots, but that's tricky stuff. Sounds like you need more markers on the water - that navigation by trial and error is expensive. I bet prop repair is big business in your area!

When I had my Reinell I/O I took my props to Independent Marine and they had punch cards you could use so that you got a free repair after 10 punches. I never got to that many repairs, but I did learn a few places on the river the hard way.