Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Soulcraft HC Pro...first ride today

Anderson24

18 minutes ago, That Guy said:

Looks great! I really need to step my board up. What is your ballast/speed/people setup for that wave? Looks killer. 

900's in rear (dumped a little, maybe 750-800), all hard tanks full, front straight line bag as full as it can get (pushing cushion up). Wife, 2 kids (maybe 250lbs total). 11mph, wedge down. When I have a larger crew I fill up rears all the way and throw a large person in front.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, BaBaLoO said:

Good info! Are there different sizes for the  Honu? That will be my next wakesurf board forsure. 

Pretty sure Jeff can make it whatever size you need. Send him an email. 

That's awesome! I ordered the same board from him with almost the same paint scheme just mine is white and charcoal. Lol! 

Its still better than my old board, however I am really struggling to recover from the back of the wave. Can you elaborate a bit more on the fin set up you were running as I'm getting really frustrated falling out of the back of the wave all the time.

Just now, ndahlberg12 said:

That's awesome! I ordered the same board from him with almost the same paint scheme just mine is white and charcoal. Lol! 

Its still better than my old board, however I am really struggling to recover from the back of the wave. Can you elaborate a bit more on the fin set up you were running as I'm getting really frustrated falling out of the back of the wave all the time.

I would concentrate on pumping more efficiently for that problem vs the fin set up,   compared to any other board I have ridden I can recover from so much further back in the wave.  These boards are so fast you  just need to lean forward (weight on the front foot) and it shoots you towards the platform. 

15 minutes ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

I would concentrate on pumping more efficiently for that problem vs the fin set up,   compared to any other board I have ridden I can recover from so much further back in the wave.  These boards are so fast you  just need to lean forward (weight on the front foot) and it shoots you towards the platform. 

Correct. I am under the impression that the fin setup will change your carving, cutting, and spinning characteristics (as well as your speed generation ability), but for the most part it is more your pumping technique. I will let you know what I come up with once I mess around with the setups, but from what @IXFE told me, he felt a little slower when it was setup as a sixer. Maybe he can chime in with the characteristic differences.

But I was running the larger fins in the middle slots only. C8D09FB3-0684-4484-9A8C-874C4FBE9575_zps

20 minutes ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

This is only our second year surfing and not many people are doing it around here so it's trial and error for me as I don't have anyone experienced to ride with. All I know is when I get to the point of where @Anderson24 is riding I cannot recover and fall out the back quick. Granted I am heavier than him at 290 but I'm still 6 ft 6 but falling out the back time and time again is getting old. I feel like I cannot put anymore weight on my front foot or lean far enough forward and still trail off. I started moving my feet placement further forward on the board just trying to figure it out. When I try falling back into the wave the wave starts to feel like it's coming over the board and I can't get the board above the water and before I know it I'm out. That's why I was asking about his fin setup thought maybe there was something I was missing. 

Could you you elaborate a bit more on pumping more efficiently?

So you are a big guy.  Not sure what size board you are riding but if you ordered it from Jeff I am sure he sized you correct.  

What I am saying is when you fall back in the wave you need to be able to pump, so you can generate speed to get your self back into the wave and Keep from falling out of it.   Which really won't have much to do with fin set up.   It's more your technique 

I think you just need more practice. The board should work for you.  

12 minutes ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

So you are a big guy.  Not sure what size board you are riding but if you ordered it from Jeff I am sure he sized you correct.  

What I am saying is when you fall back in the wave you need to be able to pump, so you can generate speed to get your self back into the wave and Keep from falling out of it.   Which really won't have much to do with fin set up.   It's more your technique 

I think you just need more practice. The board should work for you.  

Agree with @Chrisjjbrown. There are many factors. What board do you ride? I couldn't ride that far back with my last board (well, I could, but I would constantly have to pump). With the new board that is sized for me I can just stand there, and there is plenty of push. Now if I fall any further back I just need to pump to stay with it. So for that matter, the board is what allowed me to do it, but I still had to know how to generate speed. I have a guy who rides with me who has about 40lbs on me, and he can't drop back as far as I can. It is just physics at that point, the wave doesn't have as much push to keep up with his weight, even though he knows how to pump.

Same board as you. I'll have to keep working at it. Just looking for any advice as I can get. Never been taught to surf just been trying to figure it out on our own  

6FEA8AD4-EB2F-4516-BB86-34241FD8A357_zps

DAE95850-D393-4E72-86B0-FC4B8AB7A865_zps

Practice practice practice. I know it sounds lame. You will figure it out. Light on your feet as you bring the board up the face of the wave...drive down to create momentum/speed, repeat. It's not something that just happens, you will just gradually get better and better at generating speed (at least that's how it was for me). I am no advanced rider, average at best...so I may not be the best at answering this question. 

• Like 2

Totally agree with the previous posts.

i was riding 2 weeks ago and in the middle of a ride it just clicked in my head and i felt dialed into the wave. Riding down the face and back up. 

Ive always had a tendency to over amplify my movements and force the board to follow body movements. At the risk of sounding like a surf bro

you have to gauge your movements in sync with where you are on the wave. the wave has much more push and speed the closer you are so you can be more aggressive. if you re sitting back where @Anderson24 is in that pic above you want small calculated pumps down the face of the wave like @IXFE mentioned previously.

Edited by Stevo
  • Like 2
8 hours ago, ndahlberg12 said:

This is only our second year surfing and not many people are doing it around here so it's trial and error for me as I don't have anyone experienced to ride with. All I know is when I get to the point of where @Anderson24 is riding I cannot recover and fall out the back quick. Granted I am heavier than him at 290 but I'm still 6 ft 6 but falling out the back time and time again is getting old. I feel like I cannot put anymore weight on my front foot or lean far enough forward and still trail off. I started moving my feet placement further forward on the board just trying to figure it out. When I try falling back into the wave the wave starts to feel like it's coming over the board and I can't get the board above the water and before I know it I'm out. That's why I was asking about his fin setup thought maybe there was something I was missing. 

Could you you elaborate a bit more on pumping more efficiently?

I'm only in my second year as well but had a pretty big breakthrough over Memorial Day weekend. We have had another family out with us lately and the husband used to be a snowboarding instructor in New Zealand. He was going ropeless his second pull, showoff. Point is he was really good at observing everyone else surfing and making suggestions. I'm a bigger guy too and often slide out the back of the wave. He said that while teaching snowboarding he would get students to cut toe side by telling them to bring their left arm across your chest (regular footed) while imagining you are holding a heavy bucket and try to touch the outside of your right elbow. I've never been able to recover so far back before. Now we yell bucket at each other. I think this forces you to lean on your front foot toe side and ride the right spot of the wave. Combine this with a buoyant(fast) board, an athletic stance and pumping as described above and I swear you will be riding farther back than you have before.

Edited by Josh4mc

I found that telling people to use their arms to exaggerate the pump seems to help them get the concept quicker. I have them do a big arm swing up on the way up the wave as you stand tall and swing them down on the way down as you squat down.

Like all the tips in here...I too struggle recovering, I only seem to have a small pocket that has enough push for me but I'm on a cwb ride at this point so I'm pretty sure I just need a bigger/better board since I'm a bigger guy too.  

Anderson sweet board! 

I took a lesson last year there were a couple of great takeaways.   First use the rope to help you advance.   

1. Literally visualize the wave.   Whole holding the rope carve out away and look back.   Take a mental note of where the lip is, where the chiro is, etc.  

2.  Use the rope to find your range.  How far back can you go?  This will be different based on board, body weight, etc.  Practice dropiping back and recovering.  

3. Pay attention to where you are on the wave.  I have the bad habit of riding high on the wave.  It is easier to recover from the base of the wave (where Anderson is)  than higher on wave.

Try it see if it helps.

Good advice here for sure! Just to add on to what darkside has said don't feel bad holding onto the rope. I feel like that's all anyone wants to do right away and they lose the feel of how the wave/board reacts to different rider inputs. Get use to how the board reacts while holding onto the rope and it will help build confidence before letting go.

best way to learn to get back into the wave, is using the rope, let yourself fall back as far as you think necessary and try pumping, if rope goes slack its working, back up farther, just put some weight on the back foot, but when you do, pump a little so you don't just drop back instantly, this will get you in the habit of getting on the gas sooner as well. If you can set your rope up to be the right length to be at the end of the pocket try that. Just keep going back and pump to boat, slowly put on brakes and try to recover without rope but it is there so you don't fall out of wave and get to try again. Now once you get rid of rope you will be that much better as you will have more freedom with your arms and body and recovering will be easier, of course there are always the times when you get to far back and that is it. Try telling your driver to do a slight turn in the same direction of whatever side you are surfing if they see you falling back as well, it really helps for recovery.

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 8:03 PM, Stevo said:

Totally agree with the previous posts.

i was riding 2 weeks ago and in the middle of a ride it just clicked in my head and i felt dialed into the wave. Riding down the face and back up. 

Ive always had a tendency to over amplify my movements and force the board to follow body movements. At the risk of sounding like a surf bro

you have to gauge your movements in sync with where you are on the wave. the wave has much more push and speed the closer you are so you can be more aggressive. if you re sitting back where @Anderson24 is in that pic above you want small calculated pumps down the face of the wave like @IXFE mentioned previously.

Stevo If you didn't spend so much time in the back of police boats and had a clear head and mind surfing would have clicked for you sooner

• Like 2