Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking at new boats

spikew919

I'm looking for input, I have a 2014 vlx and have 750 bags in rear and around 800 lbs in bow to get surf wave like I like it. Really wish could have more storage and will be demoing the m235, the x23, and g23 at the end of this month. My wife and I would love to keep at least the same wave or bigger and not have to have bags in lockers and for sure not in seats. What you guys think that have ridden behind theses boats?

Edited by spikew919

Don't let me talk you out of spending $150k +

but...

If equal wave and more storage are really your goals, here are two options that will make a BETTER wave than your VLX and give you more storage too...

* 23 LSV with 550's in the lockers and nothing in the bow 

* 25 LSV same as above...

Don't assume that because most of us LSV owners run the bow triangle that YOU HAVE TO.  In fact some of us are experimenting with lighter locker setups and less/no bow weight.  You lose a little but it's subtle and still bigger wave than old school VLX.  Also remember the longer the boat the less you need bow weight (i.e. 25 LSV)

If you really want to push it put the WM 700's in the lockers (they are really 800) and hide 200-300lbs of lead under the seats in the bow.

As for storage, I'd forget about the lockers. I mean you get a little even with the bags full, but don't spend an extra $50k+ thinking you won't run locker bags.  I'll bet you a steak dinner that YOU WILL no matter what you buy  

Or get the M235 and be the king of your waterway!!

• Like 2

I know the x23 uses bags in the rear locker and I think the M235 does as well, but not certain.  I have a 2016 G23 and love having the rear locker to throw boards and other stuff in.  They are for sure all awesome boats! Demo them all and buy the one that speaks to you.  Enjoy the process.

18 minutes ago, OxDoc said:

I know the x23 uses bags in the rear locker and I think the M235 does as well, but not certain.  I have a 2016 G23 and love having the rear locker to throw boards and other stuff in.  They are for sure all awesome boats! Demo them all and buy the one that speaks to you.  Enjoy the process.

So you have no bags, just subfloor hard tank ballast? What's that amount to? That is awesome. 

1 hour ago, That Guy said:

So you have no bags, just subfloor hard tank ballast? What's that amount to? That is awesome. 

No bags at all.  The surf wave is fantastic and has tons of push.  Obviously you could add more weight for a even better wave but I like the storage space.  I've never ridden the M235 so I can't comment there, but I did demo the x23 and the G has way more push.

• Like 2

The subfloor ballast on the G is 2850 pounds.  

Malibu has the option for plug and play ballast for the M235 to get more ballast if you would like.  Cipro states he is pretty happy without it, so it seems to have a killer wave without extra.  I would love to surf it some day.  

I like the storage on my G23, so currently don't run any supplemental ballast.  IXFE thinks everyone with a G fills up their storage compartments, and I don't directly know anyone who does, just guys on the internet.  The rear compartments would hold an 1100 pound bag, so you get an idea of how large they are.  One of these days I am going to get a couple of bags in there, then I may be joining the club if I am impressed.  For now, I am very impressed with just the stock wave.  

Dealer support will be important whatever you choose.  If you get a boat with problems, which happens with every brand, you will want them to treat you right and get you back on the water ASAP.  The X23 got subpar demos from several guys on this site, but consider the source.  If it were what it was cracked up to be, I would choose any of them if the dealer support were clearly superior at one over the others.  

Edited by TallRedRider

FWIW, I had a Mastercraft dealer tell me he thought the X20 surfed better than the X23.  No personal experience here, just what one dealer told me. 

I owned an X23 last year, and currently have a 16 G23. A close friend also owns a 2014 G23. I definitely prefer the wave on the X23, and about half of our crew would say the same. The other half is split between the original G23 hull, and the new G23 hull. Most of it comes down to personal preference and riding style. That said, the lions share of this crew is heavily biased to Nautique. Of the 8 of us that typically ride together, 6 own Nautiques.

The big advantage of the X23 IMO, was that it is capable of putting out entirely different waves with different settings. With the G23, it is all small tweaks on the same wave. This does, however, have a downside. The X23 is so flexible, it can take some time to dial it in to rider preffered settings. The factory settings are ok, but far from preferred for most riders (I have heard that stock settings have been improved, but I can't confirm that)

As for storage/added ballast, we know the G23 is king. My friend has never added anything to his G23, and he is a very advanced rider (way better than I am, and better than anyone else I have ever seen, in person, that isn't pro). On the other hand, I do have added ballast under the lounge seats, helm, and under a false floor in the observer compartment in mine (1800lbs additional). Nothing in the rear compartments or bow. We usually only use it when it is a short crew of 2-4 people. If more than that, we just use stock weight, as the wave gets too big for transfers and tricks off the top. That said, it is just because we aren't used to it. It's a learning curve, and we will get used to it. 

Because of the small size of the rear bags on the X23, a lot of guys on TT are taking them out, and just putting 200lbs of lead on each side, so that they have empty rear compartments. I rode my X23 a couple times with no pnp bags (2600 hard tank ballast) and couldn't really tell a difference.

I have nothing on the M235, but am betting it is incredible. One thing is for sure, you will have 3 very fun demo's to deal with! Good luck on your search.

• Like 1

I appreciate everyone's input, y'all are leaving me a lot to think about. Really can't wait to get behind them all.  I live down in Mississippi. Actually have bought my other boats in Birmingham al area due to not many places around me. And guys I have used have a really good service department. Who would y'all suggest to demo the nautique with that may have a good service department and is closest to me. Russel marine on lake Martin??

• 1 month later...

Well I tried them all three and a 2016 25' lsv. And would have to say they all out out stellar waves. All have their pros and cons. Will start with the 25' lsv. 

Was a big beautiful boat had all the things I could ask for except for rear storage. Wife is not a fan of carrying wett like jackets all through the boat. Had a great wave with 900 sumo bags in rear lockers. Malibu at lest has moved trash bin and added a flap door which was a plus. 

Next was the x23, a beautiful boat and King of being able to plow across anyone's wave unloaded. Still has bags in the rear which meant no rear storage while surfing, plenty of front storage,and hated the boat had to lean to make its wave. But was a great endless wave. Actually made a 360 easy. Very different waves with just a push of the button. 

Now the G23 the king of storage for sure and loved the cooler in the floor, had a great wave with crazy push, but a little overwhelming and couldn't tell much difference with changing settings. Loved the seadeck throughout the boat and must say I could see myself buying it for sure. 

Now the m235, I really did not expect this boat to be what it is, it's wave is head and shoulders above the rest, even a heavy guy like me could surf back 20 to 25' and come back easily without pumping. It has little 450 sacks in rear and you can still put 6 or so wett vests in each side on top of bags while surfing which is a plus. Has a lot more storage throughout the boat also, has a lot better stereo system using all Wetsounds amps and speakers and the G4 tower speaks for itself. This was the hands downer winner for everyone. And just a heads up the prices between the three different brands are a wash. Especially if you option them all the same and negotiate with your dealer pretty hard. 

So if anyone knows anyone wants a well maintained 2014 vlx with about 180 hrs on it with all the extras added. Send them my way. Will be selling by end of summer and getting one of the 3 by next season for sure. 

• Like 1

Getting 1 of the 3, or getting the M235?  After all, it was the hands down winner and pricing seems to be comparable :).  

Nice little write-up and good luck on the purchase!

• Like 2

I love my M235 it has a great surf wave but it also has a great wake board wake. Have pulled several riders the ride other brands both surfing and wakeboarding. They all have loved my boat. The best comment I got was from a guy that has a G23 I was pulling the outlaw and needed to make a real quick turn so I just rolled it over and turned. He told me that his G could not do that. I have had a lot of Malibu's this is by far the best they have done. Ride in them all and let us know what you buy. Mine will be for sale soon:)   

1 hour ago, shawn said:

I love my M235 it has a great surf wave but it also has a great wake board wake. Have pulled several riders the ride other brands both surfing and wakeboarding. They all have loved my boat. The best comment I got was from a guy that has a G23 I was pulling the outlaw and needed to make a real quick turn so I just rolled it over and turned. He told me that his G could not do that. I have had a lot of Malibu's this is by far the best they have done. Ride in them all and let us know what you buy. Mine will be for sale soon:)   

I have ridden them all and the 235 is top pick unless the 2017'  Mxz really blows it away, the M will be our next boat. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, DarkSide said:

@spikew919 you also should try the new MXZ.  A lot of the same features of the M, and hard tank ballast is now in the same realm as the M and G.  I have heard 2800 not sure if that is fact or fiction though.   

+1.  I would wait to demo a few 2017 Malibu's.  At least the MXZ's got a huge ballast upgrade all around (similar to the M) and IF you end up having PnP's, they read the level of them.  Also remember just because the one's you demoed had bags in the back, doesn't mean you have to fill/use them.  I would for sure demo a 2017 and maybe demo the others again without sacks, as you seem to really want the storage.

11 hours ago, DarkSide said:

@spikew919 you also should try the new MXZ.  A lot of the same features of the M, and hard tank ballast is now in the same realm as the M and G.  I have heard 2800 not sure if that is fact or fiction though.   

I was just goin to say this. Pics of the new MXZ looks nuts, massive wave.

• Like 1