Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Switching brands, going for 2016 A22

livesound

Hi All

I am new hear.  and i am coming of a 12 MC X25 with go surf assist tabs.  I really like the A22 but the T22 or 23 look pretty appealing to. i noticed the cockpit space is a bit more in the t22 and the rear seats seem a little less tall, Here in texas dealers can't sell on sunday so my demo is on monday i hope.  Im a pretty big guy 6'2" and 270 pounds.  And i got the 25 dialed in well and has a good amount of push.  So the dealer will give me the Torque prop and 1100's in the rear.  Curious if any one has preference between the 2,  anything they wish they would have got the dealer to do as part of purchase,  any one know what kind of discount to go for.  anything you wish you would have looked at before you bought it?  

I have a T22. Love the boat. It's a value boat so there is some difference in materials and bling from the MC. Behind the boat I think it's superior to MC. 

thanks teamerickson. what made you go T instead of A? And its the bling that has me trading in,  I'm scared to death to be out of warranty on the boat,  3 screen, 4 ballast manifolds, new power tower later i have had it,  plus my austin dealer is not very good so i end up going to DFW,  i had a x10 with no bling for 8 years and 1000 hours.  looking for a nice reliable comfortable boat that will surf the heck out of it.  The NXT just doesn't have what the axis has and is more money.

1100's will be tough to fill completely. I have the 900's and they almost fill it all the way up. Make sure you get reinforcements on the engine dividers if you put 1100's in. Also, you are going to need some extra ballast in the bow if you are running that much weight In the rear (in addition to the front pnp bag). When you say the dealer will put on the torque prop, try to stay away from the 1235, and instead go for a 15" prop. Just a couple tidbits after putting 100 hours on my t22. 

3 hours ago, Anderson24 said:

1100's will be tough to fill completely. I have the 900's and they almost fill it all the way up. Make sure you get reinforcements on the engine dividers if you put 1100's in. Also, you are going to need some extra ballast in the bow if you are running that much weight In the rear (in addition to the front pnp bag). When you say the dealer will put on the torque prop, try to stay away from the 1235, and instead go for a 15" prop. Just a couple tidbits after putting 100 hours on my t22. 

Thanks for that,  i think its a toss up between the t22 and t23,  and judging by what I'm reading the 900's seem to be ideal,  Also i was thinking a couple hundred pounds of lead upfront.  they come with the 1235,  i also have a 1235 spare from my mc 25 lol,  i was going to ask for the 2215, as suggested on wake makers.  I was going to do the reinforcement kit from waker makers as well.  do you have any other suggestions,  there kit seems to be a channel with updated bolts?

53 minutes ago, Anderson24 said:

Get the z5 Bimini :). And if you get sound pack 2 or 3, immediately remove the sub and put it in a well built sealed or ported box. 

ya that z5 bimini is awesome  ya all the ones at the dealer come with sound pack 2.  probably sell the icon 8 and get a couple of rev 10.  and yes i have heard build the box right away!

21 minutes ago, Stevo said:

What motor do they have?

Monsoon 350 in both the t22 and t23,  they don't have any with the 400 on it.  my x25 is 5.7 and its a heavier boat,  with an upgraded prop i do alright.  

Edited by livesound
6 hours ago, Stevo said:

^^this dude is 6-7" ,

that a great looking Reg wave brother 

it's definitely more vert that what we were used to with the lsv or even our MB... airs are very easy.

wow great pics and sac info.  I'm doing a demo tonight,  and i was worried after reading here about the reg wave,  being a big i ride surf style board i had made for me and defiantly like the more Vert on my wave.  

12 hours ago, Stevo said:

If garage space is not an issue, I'd go 23 over 22 just for the additional space.

@teamerickson has run the 2315 and 2419 on his t22 and can probably comment on their performance. His T22 puts out a great wave and either boat is a great option. Here is a pic from a ride we had last year. Sacked out with 6 dudes (no bow bags , I can't remember if he was running lead though)

A3AD0F92-1E10-48C1-8E9F-3A597DDFCA13_zps

Im fortunate to have a boat slip.  the T23 is gonna push it but i think i can get it in there.  I have a 70k budget and not sure i can get the T23 for that.  Event though the one they have doesn't have many extras,  sound 2, wedge, gate, g5 bimini,  but no heater,  dock lights, underwater lights.  

This thread is seriously making me consider an Axis.  I would love a Malibu, but at my age/phase in life, an Axis seems infinitely more attainable.  Maybe a more "responsible" decision even though I feel that word should never be used when buying a boat! :lol: 

A buddy of mine mentioned possibly going the partnership route on a new boat.  He would essentially foot half the bill and ride/surf with me, but isn't one to go out on the lake with his own friends, he doesn't like the responsibility of towing, trailering, driving, maintenance... Where that is something I am perfectly fine with.   

3 minutes ago, BadgerBoater55 said:

This thread is seriously making me consider an Axis.  I would love a Malibu, but at my age/phase in life, an Axis seems infinitely more attainable.  Maybe a more "responsible" decision even though I feel that word should never be used when buying a boat! :lol: 

A buddy of mine mentioned possibly going the partnership route on a new boat.  He would essentially foot half the bill and ride/surf with me, but isn't one to go out on the lake with his own friends, he doesn't like the responsibility of towing, trailering, driving, maintenance... Where that is something I am perfectly fine with.   

Well i had the Bad a** MC x25 and let me tell you it was not worth it.  screen problems, ballast manifold problems, ballast timer problems, and we could go on for ahwile,  previous boat was a 01-x10 nothing fancy and never let me down.  That is what I'm hoping for form the axis.  I have a deal with a budy that pays for our slip on lake travis and i pay for the boat and we split matinance supplies and repair.  We have been doing it for 8 years and now on to boat 3,  and i have never had a problem,  we have even  had 2 friends become a 3rd for awhile here and there and still not a problem.  Just have to spell out, how clean, and what procedures you do to maintain the boat so you dont show up and its dirty or something is put away wrong.

58 minutes ago, livesound said:

Well i had the Bad a** MC x25 and let me tell you it was not worth it.  screen problems, ballast manifold problems, ballast timer problems, and we could go on for ahwile,  previous boat was a 01-x10 nothing fancy and never let me down.  That is what I'm hoping for form the axis.  I have a deal with a budy that pays for our slip on lake travis and i pay for the boat and we split matinance supplies and repair.  We have been doing it for 8 years and now on to boat 3,  and i have never had a problem,  we have even  had 2 friends become a 3rd for awhile here and there and still not a problem.  Just have to spell out, how clean, and what procedures you do to maintain the boat so you dont show up and its dirty or something is put away wrong.

Yeah, I think sometimes simpler is better.  Less to go wrong tech wise and at the end of the day, all that matters is what wave the boat is putting out and a bigger boat.  

I think I may have a third person interested too, it would be the father of my friend.  He already has a boat, but wants to upgrade and not pay the whole cost.  Has a boat lift at their cabin already as well.  They have a bayliner, but we are (and have been) too big for that boat for quite some time so we have always had to make multiple sessions with 4 of our almost always 8 person group. I have always wanted to own a boat, and the stars just might line up for it to make sense at age 23, which would be great! It also helps justify it with such a short season here in WI.

As far as splitting upgrades (like custom sacs, etc.), supplies, and repairs... Do you have any advice for ensuring things don't get messy?  I would most likely do a stereo delete and put in my own sound system, the community here makes that easy enough to figure out. 

Feel free to PM me with suggestions.

Sorry for hijacking the thread!

On June 6, 2016 at 8:59 PM, Stevo said:

If garage space is not an issue, I'd go 23 over 22 just for the additional space.

@teamerickson has run the 2315 and 2419 on his t22 and can probably comment on their performance. His T22 puts out a great wave and either boat is a great option. Here is a pic from a ride we had last year. Sacked out with 6 dudes (no bow bags , I can't remember if he was running lead though)

A3AD0F92-1E10-48C1-8E9F-3A597DDFCA13_zps

For that day we did have some bow weight. Probably about 400. That was with the 2315. It did fine. I now have the 2419 on and have had it out a few times. I'm happy with the performance so far. 

Im doing another demo tuesday,  and they are gonna throw on a 2315 for me.  just to see if the prop wash is any better.  couldn't get enough lip on the reg wave side.  the Goofy side was awesome but I'm not goofy

We have loved our T22.  With 3 teens and all their friends we have a lot of space.  The surf waves (both regular and goofy) are great.  I recently demoed a G21 and the Axis wave is better.

We have 750's in the lockers and will throw a 400lb sac in the bow with a lighter crew (4 or less).  We only use the wedge when using a surf style board and keep it up with a skim board.  

8 hours ago, livesound said:

Im doing another demo tuesday,  and they are gonna throw on a 2315 for me.  just to see if the prop wash is any better.  couldn't get enough lip on the reg wave side.  the Goofy side was awesome but I'm not goofy

I started riding heel side on the goofy wave just to take advantage of it. The goofy wave will always be a little better 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Stevo said:

I started riding heel side on the goofy wave just to take advantage of it. The goofy wave will always be a little better 

I have not figured out the transfer yet. Do you transfer to get to starboard? Or just start there? Looking for tips on how to conquer the propwash and get to the other side. 

36 minutes ago, Anderson24 said:

I have not figured out the transfer yet. Do you transfer to get to starboard? Or just start there? Looking for tips on how to conquer the propwash and get to the other side. 

Easier on a 'bu for sure because you get the warning horn.  I'm by no means a transfer expert, but when I was getting them regularly last summer I would basically charge the swim platform on the transfer.  You need to advance on the boat while making the transfer because going to the other side will move you back.  The front of the wave is also where the wash is the narrowest to cross.  In short, the farther forward the better the likelihood of success (and then there's always getting your weight right once you get over).

12 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Easier on a 'bu for sure because you get the warning horn.  I'm by no means a transfer expert, but when I was getting them regularly last summer I would basically charge the swim platform on the transfer.  You need to advance on the boat while making the transfer because going to the other side will move you back.  The front of the wave is also where the wash is the narrowest to cross.  In short, the farther forward the better the likelihood of success (and then there's always getting your weight right once you get over).

Yea I would definitely need to watch the driver flip the switch, and just try to time it best. I assumed I would charge the boat, but didn't know the best place to cross over. Are we talking like within a foot of platform? Or a little further back? Did you hold the rope for insurance as you learned? Or just go for it? Thanks for tips @shawndoggy. You liking the t22?

T22 is great so far (but not much "real" experience with it yet).  Only real complaint is that I need to get the captains speakers done.  Sound in the driver's seat is meh at best.

yes, keeping hold of the rope would be a good idea for sure, though I would usually go for the transfer at the end of a run so ropeless.

I would say cross over as close as you safely can... the boat always seems to be farther away than you think on the transfer, especially once you make it to the other side.  It's probably also easier without the wedge deployed.