Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Power loss/check engine light

My boat performed flawlessly for the first 36 hours and I am not experiencing my first issue. On my last two short trips the power seemed a little off. Considering I have the 8.1 I expected more than enough power. About 1 hour into both trips the boat started having little power at all and would not even get on plane with full throttle. I started heading back to the doc and it went away and the boat seemed fine but then it came up again. It has also cut out twice and given the check engine light in the last trip. As soon as you cycle the ignition it goes back to normal. My dealer said their computer/code reader is down so I was trying to get some ideas from the forum. I should be able to get it in later this week but would really like to use it as Monday is a holiday for me. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sounds like a fuel issue to me, maybe a weak fuel pump. How was the motor running when this happened (bogging, no rpms, sputtering, etc)?

My boat performed flawlessly for the first 36 hours and I am not experiencing my first issue. On my last two short trips the power seemed a little off. Considering I have the 8.1 I expected more than enough power. About 1 hour into both trips the boat started having little power at all and would not even get on plane with full throttle. I started heading back to the doc and it went away and the boat seemed fine but then it came up again. It has also cut out twice and given the check engine light in the last trip. As soon as you cycle the ignition it goes back to normal. My dealer said their computer/code reader is down so I was trying to get some ideas from the forum. I should be able to get it in later this week but would really like to use it as Monday is a holiday for me. Thanks in advance for any help.

Mine was doing this also (not an 8.1 I have the monsoon)..turned out to be the safety lanyard. Right now I have a dime wedged in their between the lanyard and the switch and the problem hasn't returned. I was also getting the message to check engine on the ecu. May not be your problem but worth a shot! Good luck

It may not be an engine problem. It maybe the "fly by wire", mine is in the shop for that right now. There are 2 variable resistors at the throttle and 2 variable resistors at the engine. There is also a servo activated mechanical linkage. If the linkage is out of "parameter" with the variable resistor the safety default is to go to neutral. The is a safety mechanism designed in the system since there is no longer a cable running from the throttle to the engine. This is probably why it just drops to idle under power occasionally or when shifting from reverse to neutral or neutral to forward it drops to idle and gets the check engine message. It is just a matter of getting an adjustment on the linkage.

Our 06 23 LSV 8.1 has had this type of problem since new in early Aug 2005. This only occurs in cruise mode. The throttle control has been replaced twice, once by dealer second time at Malibu CA and has the latest calibration (engine still has bad flare / dying problem especially in reverse). Boat is currently at Merced. The problem appears to be a voltage problem. The kill switch is interesting, however, the error code (for what its worth) says tach signal error, not fuel related.

Does anyone else have these kind of problems in the 2006 8.1 ?