Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2014 23LSV - no gear, won't start

Pulling a wakeboarder, they fell, I went to pick up, as I approached I pulled throttle back into neutral, then put throttle into gear to inch up and engine just revved and boat did not go into gear.pulled back into neutral and attempted to put into reverse and again engine revved and now no reverse.

i shut the boat off and now it won't start.

The touch screen is on, my security code works, all appears ok with the touch screen as far as all buttons work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

nwy

Yes.

ive done that on my duck hunting boat!!

felt kinda silly when my 12yr old son figured out for me!

thnx

feeln like its a nuetral safety switch or linkage sensor at the trans

only time I've ever experienced that was the prop fell off the boat (not my boat), though that can't possibly have anything to do with your boat not starting.

3 hours ago, nwy said:

Yes.

ive done that on my duck hunting boat!!

felt kinda silly when my 12yr old son figured out for me!

thnx

feeln like its a nuetral safety switch or linkage sensor at the trans

The neutral switch is in the shifter and the shifting is all electronic - couple solenoids on the transmission

I'd think about checking the connector that plugs into the back of the shifter, and the wiring on the back of the lanyard switch to see if either is loose.

turn over but no start should not be indicative of bad neutral safety switch... if the boat were in gear (or bad NSS made boat think it was in gear) the starter wouldn't crank.  So I guess I'd first quadruple check the kill switch (which would allow starter to crank but would prevent boat from firing), then once boat will run, figure out the problem with getting it into gear.

Edited by shawndoggy

The initial problem of no fwd or rev points to the shifter or shift harness. A d since the nss is also part of throttle,

multimeter should tell you what you need to know if you can find a pinout for the throttle connector. It is made by livorsi in a 2014

• 2 weeks later...

U

On June 3, 2016 at 4:45 AM, nwy said:

Pulling a wakeboarder, they fell, I went to pick up, as I approached I pulled throttle back into neutral, then put throttle into gear to inch up and engine just revved and boat did not go into gear.pulled back into neutral and attempted to put into reverse and again engine revved and now no reverse.

i shut the boat off and now it won't start.

The touch screen is on, my security code works, all appears ok with the touch screen as far as all buttons work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

nwy

Any update on your status?

Just found out yesterday that the fix is a new throttle.  When I pick it up from the shop I'll ask for some more details.

I bought this boat from an individual from a dealer and was told to transfer the Malibu warranty from him to me was $1000.

I live in Cinti but bought the boat in Tenn.

I attempted to pay the Malibu dealer here in Cinti and they declined the money and said I had to pay the dealer I bought it from.

After several calls back and forth between the two dealers and neither wanting the money, I gave up.  I'm not inclined to work my a## off to beg someone to take my money.

Any thoughts on if I should be charged for this fix or is there some documented issues with this throttle.

Do I take up my issue with the dealer or Malibu?

I can't imagine that a throttle is a piece of equipment that should have a life expectancy of 18 months!, or any part on a $100,000(new price) boat!!!!

@nwy I'd call Malibu and talk to customer service/tech support to explain to them that you tried to pay for the warranty transfer; hopefully the two shops in question will back you up that they weren't willing to take the payment. I'm hopeful that you'll find someone who's willing to help in customer service. I'll have to check my ownership documents, but I thought the warranty transfer was $500.

As far as the throttle goes, that sounds like a bad part unless there is some evidence of abuse (long-term weather exposure like sitting in the rain all winter, etc.) or other general neglect. If Malibu or the dealer isn't handling this for you I'd be taking it up with the throttle manufacturer. As @oldjeep said, that should be a Livorsi throttle assembly. Your throttle should last much longer than 18 months!

29 minutes ago, nwy said:

Just found out yesterday that the fix is a new throttle.  When I pick it up from the shop I'll ask for some more details.

I bought this boat from an individual from a dealer and was told to transfer the Malibu warranty from him to me was $1000.

I attempted to pay the Malibu dealer here in Cinti and they declined the money and said I had to pay the dealer I bought it from.

After several calls back and forth between the two dealers and neither wanting the money, I gave up.  I'm not inclined to work my a## off to beg someone to take my money.

Any thoughts on if I should be charged for this fix or is there some documented issues with this throttle.

I can't imagine that a throttle is a piece of equipment that should have a life expectancy of 18 months!, or any part on a $100,000(new price) boat!!!!

If I was out of pocket on it, I think the first step would be to disassemble the throttle and see if it is at all serviceable.

Thanks on all replies!

Boat is stored indoors all year round.

I've put maybe 10 hours on it since I've had it this summer, total hours is 149.

Repairing the throttle or replacing myself would be an option if I could have positively diagnosed that the throttle was the issue.

Im having the same issue on my 2014 23LSV.  My boat is covered year round, under a roof, so there isn't a weathering problem either.  My issue started about two weeks ago.  While I was pulling a wakeboarder, it sounded like the boat slipped out of gear for just a second.  It started doing it with increased frequency, like one time per set, so I took it into the shop.  They thought it was probably transmission related, but no codes came up on diagnostics with the computer.  They let me drive it, under the assumption that we would fix the transmission in the next couple of weeks while they submitted warranty info etc.  I was out on Saturday and it slipped out of gear about 3 times, more dramatic this time and the boat almost stopped.  I was then idling when it slipped and would not go back in gear.  I put it in forward and then reverse, and the engine just revved.  I put the throttle in neutral and then back in gear, but nothing.  I turned the boat off thinking that may help, but then it wouldn't start - the starter would not turn over.  It was as though it were in gear, even though it isn't.  The shop just told me in an email exchange that they thought it was the throttle, not the transmission.  That is good news to me, but it has all been a little disconcerting.  I just want to get it back on the water and running well!

• Thanks 1

They replaced my throttle this week, and that fixed the issue - for those that may have the issue in the future.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, jaronsullivan said:

They replaced my throttle this week, and that fixed the issue - for those that may have the issue in the future.

thats what the ended up doing to @Redblack2014lsv 's boat, and a full wire harness from throttle to engine. they could never identify the exact source of the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

When we started up this season, our 2012 LSV had an "unexpected but not out of range reading" from the throttle. It put the boat into a semi-limp mode where it would not go over 3000 rpm. 

Dealer said it was a problem with the throttle position sensor, required replacing the throttle. He mentioned that some people had had issues with the throttle position sensor (but not enough for a recall to happen). All told it was almost $1000 to repair, and out of warranty. I could have replaced on old style throttle cable a couple of times for that! Hope yours was covered by warranty.

Our LSV is under cover all the time it is not in use. Dealer services and winterizes it each year. I pretty much have them replace anything that they even suggest might be prudent. Even had them replace the alternator this past winter since it was supposedly overcharging, which killed a cell on one of the batteries. Not sure what else I could have done maintenance wise to prevent it. 

Mine is currently having the the throttle box, and transmission solenoid replaced. Just randomly wouldn't go into gear. I could get reverse, but could only get into fwd by sliding the throttle shifter back and fourth 10-20 times before it would catch.

dealer couldn't replicate the problem, so they are replacing both.

On 6/16/2016 at 9:49 AM, nwy said:

I am sad to hear this for you!!  We have a 2014 MXZ and we are on our 4TH throttle.   there is obviously an underlining problem with these throttles!!  Such a nightmare, not to mention the SAFETY issues that come along with it. 

Interesting.  Last year I had my throttle replaced.  Not because of the symptoms mentioned here, but because it would not go into neutral.

I turned 200 hours over the weekend, and all seems good.  Knock on wood....

• 1 year later...

Yep, same faults as Jaron mentioned above, although mine is a 2014 VTX. 

New throttle was the fix.

Boat is always under cover when not in use so I pulled the old throttle apart to have a look. No evidence of water inside at all. Really simple inside, 3 micro switches (one each FNR) and the neutral override button go to 4 Omron relays. Throttle control is a magnetic switch.

Seems to be a long list of issues with these throttles. Excellent for Livorsi spare parts business.

I have 2014 Lsv that has same issues won’t start occasionally. Also while running took it out of gear to pick up rider then put back in gear and it just revved up, so I shut it down then it wouldn’t start.

just want to make sure it truely is a throttle issue. How much for new throttle??? Thanks

Mark

Edited by Familymalibu