Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2014 23LSV - no gear, won't start

10 hours ago, Familymalibu said:

I have 2014 Lsv that has same issues won’t start occasionally. Also while running took it out of gear to pick up rider then put back in gear and it just revved up, so I shut it down then it wouldn’t start.

just want to make sure it truely is a throttle issue. How much for new throttle??? Thanks

Mark

Good question, without replacing it to try a new one you won't know. Do you have a friend you could borrow a throttle from? 

One extra problem mine had was that I couldn't get it into 'manual neutral' (to rev it out of gear) I never had used this feature but once it started playing up I found out it didn't work. The reason I mention it is because once I pulled my old throttle apart, I think it could be related. 

What's your location?

Before pulling the throttle apart, check your connections back at the engine. There is a wire harness connection point above the transmission in the engine bay that controls the neutral switch and fwd/rev signals to the transmission. 

On my 14 I had a bad connection point, that would intermittently not allow the boat to go in gear, or start. My neighbor’s 14 had a bad throttle and had a new one put in. 

We were both fortunate to be under warranty at the time so not sure on cost.

8 hours ago, aussiebattler said:

Good question, without replacing it to try a new one you won't know. Do you have a friend you could borrow a throttle from? 

One extra problem mine had was that I couldn't get it into 'manual neutral' (to rev it out of gear) I never had used this feature but once it started playing up I found out it didn't work. The reason I mention it is because once I pulled my old throttle apart, I think it could be related. 

What's your location?

I live in the Washington State.  It seems to be either a throttle  or a wiring issue. And of course the problem never replicates at the shop. I appreciate your input.

Wow,  glad to hear it was the throttle cable and not the transmission,  This thread is starting to sound like the dreaded MTC thread.

All our boats are almost of the same vintage.. with my luck after the MTC Screen  replacement I'm hoping that's it.... But......:dontknow:

• 1 year later...

We have a 2014 Malibu VTX that is having starting issues. It seems that it may be the throttle as most of these other posts have mentioned.  I have confirmed that both batteries are fine (12V).  Scenario is: boat will start fo the trailer fine, then when we run for awhile we are afraid to turn it off as it may not start again!?  Intermittently while surfing it seems to slip out of gear and decelerates with driver wondering what is going on?  Then if we turn it off, it will not restart on the water from the mailiview touchscreen- no clicking nothing blower is on everything else works just no start. I have tried moving throttle back and forth- also in neutral with no success.  Then it just starts no rhyme or reason.  Help- unfortunately we live 2.5 hrs away from our malibu dealer.  Should we start with replacing the throttle? 

• 2 weeks later...

Replacing the Livorsi throttle assembly fixed the issue on my 14 LSV.  I had the dealer test out solenoids, transmission, etc before I spent the $1,300 to replace the Livorsi assembly.  Tech was a sharp dude who got in touch with Malibu lead engineer who basically told him the only way to fix it was to replace the Livorsi assembly. Good Luck!!

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/10/2019 at 1:24 PM, Lakemurrayskier said:

Replacing the Livorsi throttle assembly fixed the issue on my 14 LSV.  I had the dealer test out solenoids, transmission, etc before I spent the $1,300 to replace the Livorsi assembly.  Tech was a sharp dude who got in touch with Malibu lead engineer who basically told him the only way to fix it was to replace the Livorsi assembly. Good Luck!!

Having basically the same issues w my 14 lsv - was $1300 the part price? I’m trying to make sure my dealer doesn’t kill me too badly.  Seems a bit early for a throttle imho but I bought it used from Idaho and I estimate the electrical didn’t enjoy the cold winters there. 

• 10 months later...

Having the same issue with my 2014 tige. Have to wait 2 weeks for dealer to be free to look at it, but I am almost positive it is the throttle. Boat would not start then I wired the NSS together and now it starts but only revs. I will see if I can find solenoid on transmission, but it is funny how it seems like it is exclusively 2014 boats with this issue. The guy I spoke to at Tige said he thought Livorsi admitted to having issues with their 2014 design, but when I called Livorsi they got very defensive and said they are not even able to sell me a throttle and that the 2014 models had no issues. 

• 2 months later...

Same issue with 2014 LSV. Slipping out of gear randomly.  Anyone have any luck rebuilding the livorsi throttle on their own or sourcing for a decent price?  Has anyone changed it out to a different brand or model?   Sounds like some have been through 4 throttles in 6 years.

• 1 year later...

2009 Wakesetter VLX when started up this year will not (usually) go into neutral.  It's either in forward or reverse if the engine is running. I took the lever assembly apart and could not see any mechanical issues or corrosion.  There is a non-serviceable part attached to the assembly with a harness attached to it.  Any ideas? Thanks

Make sure the transmission is not in gear, or turning the propeller, when you unplug the two shift solenoid connectors on the the transmission to rule out a possible transmission issue first.

I've always replaced the helm shift throttle controllers when they are faulty, so I don't know if any of the internal electrical parts are easily serviceable. 

11 hours ago, csleaver said:

Make sure the transmission is not in gear, or turning the propeller, when you unplug the two shift solenoid connectors on the the transmission to rule out a possible transmission issue first.

I've always replaced the helm shift throttle controllers when they are faulty, so I don't know if any of the internal electrical parts are easily serviceable. 

Thanks for the reply. What are the possible scenarios when unplugging the solenoids on the transmission?

Doubling back to this thread.  I have dealt with this issue and it’s been mentioned in other threads that Livorsi will refurbish your throttles for a reasonable price (less than $200, including shipping it back to you).  It’s easy to spot the problem, simply remove the throttle (5min job) and then take the cover off and look at the circuit board.  There is white waterproofing epoxy over alot of it, you will notice that it is brownish in a couple spots indicating that a resister failed.  A smart guy on here listed a diy fix that is probably just as good as sending it to livorsi if you are technically inclined and have experience soldering small components you could probably do it yourself.  I like the livorsi refurbish angle just because it’s done by pros and likely they would stand behind it if it failed again in the future - people I know did the refurb got their throttle back in 10 days or so.  Also: I have a basically brand new spare 2 plug livorsi throttle (works w 2014-2018 boats iirc) in my garage and would prob loan it out to a tmc member in need.  Shoot me a DM if you’re in this situation and have a trip planned and can’t wait 2 weeks to get your throttle back.  I bought it before livorsi decided to refurb them, then got the old one refurbed and sold the boat with the original refurbished throttle.

Thanks, I saw that.  My VLX is a 2009 and the inside of the throttle does not look like the circuit board with the white epoxy.  There is a small black enclosed attachment to the back of the throttle with a harness plugged in to it.  Maybe the circuits are in that?

1 minute ago, BillRey said:

Thanks, I saw that.  My VLX is a 2009 and the inside of the throttle does not look like the circuit board with the white epoxy.  There is a small black enclosed attachment to the back of the throttle with a harness plugged in to it.  Maybe the circuits are in that?

2 hours ago, BillRey said:

Thanks for the reply. What are the possible scenarios when unplugging the solenoids on the transmission?

When you unplug the forward and reverse solenoid connections at the transmission you should not be able to shift the transmission into forward or reverse using the helm control lever and the propshaft should not turn.  If the transmission is turning the propshaft when the solenoids are disconnected you likely have an internal transmission problem.