Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tower or windshield mount mirror?

NCSurfing

Which do you guys have and are you happy?  My '15 came with the windshield mount and I am not a fan. Looks forced, doesn't give me a large view and is a bit too loose for me. That said, buying a tower mount is $499 which is a chunk of change and I don't want to spend that and be disappointed. Thanks in advance for sharing your experience/thoughts...

Edited by NCSurfing

I use both. The larger 140 degree tower mount and a smaller 9" 110 degree windshield mount mirror. Gives me a full picture behind the boat.

i like a good looking boat but at the same time there is a place for function over form.

i also run on a reasonably busy river that is less than 300 feet across in terms of navigate le channel. So 360 view at all times is important.

22 minutes ago, holden said:

I use both. The larger 140 degree tower mount and a smaller 9" 110 degree windshield mount mirror. Gives me a full picture behind the boat.

i like a good looking boat but at the same time there is a place for function over form.

i also run on a reasonably busy river that is less than 300 feet across in terms of navigate le channel. So 360 view at all times is important.

I'd be interested in seeing pics of this.

I've run dual mirrors before, and am now running the PTM alone. I like the view a lot. And the esthetics on the boat don't suck either. We do some crazy stunts that invalve 2 riders or Around the boat, or both. So being able to keep track of the riders is kinda important. But at the same time, being able to get into the bow without knocking the mirrors off is nice too.

dual_mirrors.jpg

0714102009.jpg

20130505_144734_zpschs13qra.jpg

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I've got the "OEM" mount, you can see it here:
https://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1810

I've got the PTM/Edge VR140 mounted to it.

It appears that the arm is made by Samson Sports, but they don't list on their website anymore; that might have something to do with an OEM agreement. You don't list your location in your profile, but your handle makes me think you're in North Carolina. If so, there are a few crew members nearby (ok, some of them may be a few hours away) and you could check with your local dealer to find someone that has a different mount so you can check it out. I can see everything I need to see with my current setup and nobody have ever bumped in to the mirror while on the boat.

6 hours ago, mikeo said:

It appears that the arm is made by Samson Sports, but they don't list on their website anymore; that might have something to do with an OEM agreement. You don't list your location in your profile, but your handle makes me think you're in North Carolina. If so, there are a few crew members nearby (ok, some of them may be a few hours away) and you could check with your local dealer to find someone that has a different mount so you can check it out. I can see everything I need to see with my current setup and nobody have ever bumped in to the mirror while on the boat.

Thanks Mikeo. You're a great use case for me....same boat and same exact mirror I have in the cart right now on. The bakes website.  A few questions;

1- do you have to collapse the mirror when you collapse the tower?

2- assuming the answer to 1 is yes, does the mount mar the finish on the tower?

3- no issues with it moving/vibrating?

would love to see a pic with this setup if you have one?

Edited by NCSurfing
8 hours ago, mikeo said:

I had it on my 2015 VLX, and was not happy with it. Vibration was bad, and if you are tall you have to mind your head... I bumped mine several times, so decided to not order it on my 2016 VLX. I think I will move on a PTM with the windshield mount.

I have the tower mount PTM mirror on my 2015 23LSV. I much prefer it to screen mount as my eye-line would put a screen mount one right in my way for driving. My view now is clear, just the screen itself, and nothing above it. I just have to look a few degrees up, and there is my lovely tower mount mirror.

I also think they look better, but I can understand if others don't.

• Like 1

I had the tower arm mirror on the 14 and a windshield mount on the 15.  I prefer the windshield mount.  I mounted on observer side as I found the driver created a huge blindspot.

Plus one on windshield mount.  Had the tower mount on VTX hated it.  Have windshield mount on LSV.  Much better view and don't hit my head on it.

I have the PTM mounted to the windshield on the drivers side and really like it. I can see everything behind me except a very small blind spot when a rider is all the way out on the starboard side. 

I have the wide angle PMT on a tower arm and I love it.  I also think is looks cool.  I also keep the Malibu ski mirror mounted on the center window because when my wife drives for surfing she basically has to stand up, so her eye angle to the tower mirror on the arm is not good for her.  So she uses the window mounted mirror.

One other thing.  I have the aftermarket seat riser for the drivers seat and I am tall so when I drive I am looking OVER the windshield.  We have a lot of floating debris in our river so I have to really concentrate and be on the look out for tree limb floaters.  With the mirror on the tower arm I have a nice unobstructed gap to see ahead of the boat between the top of the windshield and under the mirror and yet it is easy to peak up at the mirror to see to the rear to see if any boats are coming up from behind.

• Like 2

PTM on the tower arm. Love it

we take it down to tow and stow it in the rear locker. No vibration problems here. And we adjusted the angle of the mount so that there was minimal blind spot.

i hated the windshield mounted one on the old boat 

I have a 3 piece mirror on my tower, my advice is never do that, just get the PTM or any other curved one piece

• Like 1

Just took my new 2016 23 LSV on maiden voyages over the weekend.    We purchased with the windshield mount (centered on drivers side from dealer), power seat, G4 tower.  

I am 6'1"  and my wife is 5'10".   For anything other than surf speeds\bow up we are pretty much looking over the windshield.  The windshield mount on drivers side was a MAJOR obstruction of forward view trying to break in the boat.  We constantly were looking over and around the mirror to see the water\boats in front of us.    I like the idea of the mirror on the windshield will have experiment with alternative locations.    Looks like either windshield or tower mount have pros and cons.  

I'm 6 2 with same boat as you (450 engine) and my mirror on center window by dealer.  Works perfectly.  Can see both sides of wake and don't have to look over it.  My gripe is I have the power heated helm seat (who doesn't need one of those) and I feel too tall with the lower profile windshield even with the seat in the lowest position.  I'm always looking over the windshield.

Dealer put my mirror on the passenger window and it works great.  Great visibility and can see everything behind the boat.  Had it on the center window in old boat, it was fine but now i don't have to worry about the extra weight swinging on the window or having to make sure the window is shut.  IMO i like it better on the passenger window.

Windshield mount on the walk-through.  Out of my sight lines at 6'5" and nobody ever bumps their head on it.  Just need the center window closed when underway.  Just wish it was wider angle to see turns inside of 28 off on both sides for coaching.

I picked up a 2006 recently and it did not come with a mirror. I decided to go with the Nice Rack option.  Pricey, but I like that it swings up, rather than to the side. and looks nice.IMG_3715.JPG.e6d225abd1e6fbabd5e934ffa8e

• Like 2
On 6/7/2016 at 6:31 AM, Skin2Win said:

Dealer put my mirror on the passenger window and it works great.  Great visibility and can see everything behind the boat.  Had it on the center window in old boat, it was fine but now i don't have to worry about the extra weight swinging on the window or having to make sure the window is shut.  IMO i like it better on the passenger window.

Dealer is on to something.   I played around last night and came to the same conclusion of putting the mirror on the passenger window.  Passengers sit lower and can see through the windshield.   Looks like the sweet spot on my boat too.  

Went out last night with mirror on passenger side.  That is the winner for me.  Unobstructed view for the driver.    Passengers on observer seat said it did not hinder their view in any way.    That is the mounting spot for me.

Edited by ORMailbuboater
update after run last night
On 6/7/2016 at 7:02 PM, ORMailbuboater said:

Dealer is on to something.   I played around last night and came to the same conclusion of putting the mirror on the passenger window.  Passengers sit lower and can see through the windshield.   Looks like the sweet spot on my boat too.  

Went out last night with mirror on passenger side.  That is the winner for me.  Unobstructed view for the driver.    Passengers on observer seat said it did not hinder their view in any way.    That is the mounting spot for me.

@ORMailbuboaterdid your boat have the small screws to screw it to the windshield frame?  I've search high/low for mine and can't find them.  I wanted to order the tower mount but given the 50/50 split here on which is better, I figured I would save the $500.  I'm very nervous about drilling holes in the frame, assume they have to be pretty short?  My dealer is 3 hrs away or I would make him give me the correct ones.  Ugh..  

last boat I had it on the tower, caused issues anytime I wanted to lower the tower for clearance. I would do a windshield mount if I had it to do over

16 hours ago, pauley71 said:

@ORMailbuboaterdid your boat have the small screws to screw it to the windshield frame?  I've search high/low for mine and can't find them.  I wanted to order the tower mount but given the 50/50 split here on which is better, I figured I would save the $500.  I'm very nervous about drilling holes in the frame, assume they have to be pretty short?  My dealer is 3 hrs away or I would make him give me the correct ones.  Ugh..  

Actually the mirror mount I have does not require drilling into the window frame at least on the 2016 model.  It is a clamping device with rubber cushion on both sides of the clamp.   Does not scratch or mar the surface of the windshield frame in any way.