Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Water Spots Will Not Come Off!

Yes, the boat is a little over due for a wax job. But, this is ridiculous Frustrated.gif

I've tried:

- Vinegar & water

- Tony's Topical Toilet Tonic (works magic on the hull but, no dice on the water spots)

- DuraGloss Marine Polish

- 3M Finesse It II

- Meguiar's Scratch X

These were all applied by hand. The lighter spots are gone though, the majority remain. I guess the only thing left to do is purchase a buffer...

Anything I'm missing or not thinking of?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sliver

• VinRLX

• SunriseH2OSkier

• andyb

Meguiar's Detailer Spray is what we use. I get it at Walmart or any auto supply that carries Meguiars.

I have had luck with a dampened towel that's wet from the water the sopts were formed with. It will break down the spots and you can wipe them off, follow with the detailer spary.

Hope this works since you have already put so many chemicals on them.

Thanks Ronnie! It's worth a shot. Though, I tried this when we pulled the boat out of the water to no avail. You never know...

OK, so I now own a 10" random orbit buffer. I'm assuming this is pretty straight forward. The directions (I never read directions, not sure why I did this time...) didn't tell me anything I didn't already know except:

There are 3 pads included: an applicator pad, terry cloth pad and a polishing pad. They recommend using the applicator pad to put it on, terry cloth to polish it out and the polishing pad for the final finish. I've never seen anyone use an applicator pad just for applying the polish. Is this really necessary?

The only thing I have ever used for water spots is 1/2 cup CLR the rest water in a spray bottle. Spray it on wipe it off after using the boat. Boat still looks brand new after 5 years.

I'm convinced the key is getting them right as you pull the boat out of the water. If you leave them on, they only get harder to remove.

You're definitely right chatamsolutions. And, that's the problem. We left the boat in the water for a couple of weeks and the upper part of the bow that takes the most spray is covered in extremely hard water spots.

The buffer with the Finesse It II didn't even get them off. It put a pretty good dent in them but, they're still there.

From about the middle of the boat, back to the stern, looks like it just came out of the mold. The bow and the accent stripe is not so lucky...

Looks like I'll be hunting some CLR or Lime-A-Way tomorrow. Now I've just got to find something to get this off my mind 'til then or I won't sleep tonight...

You're definitely right chatamsolutions. And, that's the problem. We left the boat in the water for a couple of weeks and the upper part of the bow that takes the most spray is covered in extremely hard water spots.

You had the boat in the water for a couple of WEEKS?! Well then I really don't care if you have water spots. I hope you have water spots on your butt!

j/k Tongue.gif

Yeah, that's one of the advantages of living on a lake now. Only problem is, we've got to rebuild our dock so we can install a lift. So, until we can do that, we have to leave it tied to the existing dock so we can use it in the evenings if we have nothing else going on. Big time saver not having to deal with trailering the boat when your time is limited.

You're welcome to join us if you like. Something tells me property, taxes and gas, among other things are cheaper on the "East Side" Rockon.gif Wait.....Shhhhhhh, don't tell anyone Whistling.gif

Babe's Spot Solver has worked pretty good for my Midnight Blue above the rub rail. I spray it on and leave for a minute or two, then just wipe it off. Follow it up with some Boat Bright and it looks like new. Matter of fact, I have a date with Spot Solver this afternoon. Good luck!

Looks like Babe's Spot Solver may be my last resort.

Just tried Lime-A-Way...no results. I tried it on a wet rag and full strenght with no effects.

Guess I might have to resort to wet sanding w/ 2000 grit... Yuk.gif

I think there is one other substance you may want to consider, especially if you do not want to get involved with sanding. Though I have not personally had to resort to this, I've heard it works. Try "you're in."

Naaah. I heard that stuff is a joke. I decided I would never try that stuff, especially after I heard they were a sponsor on the cable channel 'You're A Nus'

Well, it's not really French. . .Just Malibu board speak.

Andy, do you have to jump on it that fast? Besides, this time--for once--I am serious.

Just get a clay kit from the auto parts store. It will take little bit of work... but its a lot less then sanding.

Just get a clay kit from the auto parts store. It will take little bit of work... but its a lot less then sanding.

Try "Ducky".....Spray it on....Wipe it off. Never had it "not" work!!!!

Well, it's not really French. . .Just Malibu board speak.

Andy, do you have to jump on it that fast? Besides, this time--for once--I am serious.

VinRLX, I was j/k Biggrin.gif Though, it did take me a second to get your hint. I don't think I'm willing to go that far. Besides, if the CFO knew I had "you're in 8'd" on the boat, she'd never get on it again. Then I'm out a driver :(

On a side note: While not quite on the level of the infamous Rutat, after reading many of your posts over the past year or so, I can understand why Andy didn't take you seriously. Speaking of Rutat, does anyone know what happened to him? I miss the witty banter....kinda :unsure:

This is guaranteed to get the worst waterspots or buildup of any kind off...go to your local hardware store and get some Muradic acid, pair of rubber gloves, small bucket, and a small sponge. Disclaimer: This stuff is dangerous if you do it wrong so read on. Mix 50% acid and 50% water in the bucket maybe 2 inches deep (don't breath the smoke). Next get your garden hose and turn it on a light stream of water. Put your gloves on and dip the sponge in the bucket and squeeze out the excess so it isn't dripping everywhere. Holding the running hose in one hand and the sponge in the other, wipe the hull like you're washing it with the sponge and then immediately rinse the area with the water hose. Work maybe a foot or two at a time wiping and rinsing. Only use on fiberglass hull and alluminum hand rails. There is nothing to worry about if you follow these instructions. Main thing is wipe and rinse quickly. I did my dad's boat this weekend and his waterspots were absolutely pathetic. The thing looked completely brand new when I finished, not a waterspot to be found. He also had some thick calcium buildup on the lower unit and the acid ate it right off..it smoked pretty good too. Then I went home and did my Malibu and cleaned it right up. This process takes about the same time as washing. You need to wax it afterwards because the exisiting wax will be stripped off. Basically your boat will be as clean as you can possibly get it. My buddy used this process once to strip a thick layer of algae and zebra mucles off of an old Nautique that had been sitting in the water for 20 years and he said the crap just fell off.

Edited by 87Skier

I've used Muradic acid on pontoons for years with amazing results. I just don't know if I'm brave enough to try it on gelcoat.... Dontknow.gif