Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

No power to drain ballast pump

Hello all,

I have a 2009 VTX and this weekend my starboard rear ballast tank would not drain. Everything on my MLS system fills and drains just fine but my starboard rear drain pump is not getting power, I tested it with a meter when I got home and there is no power to wire that feeds that pump. Could something be wrong with MUX controller or is there a bank a fuses somewhere for each pump?

Thanks,

Jake

Jake, I can't remember 09 for sure but under the dash just forward of the steering wheel should be the fuse box.  Open the cover and check there.  Also it may be worth your time to remove the top from the drain pump to see if something is stuck in it. 

Let us know what you find out.

Trent

Got it! I followed the wiring of the MUX to the Medallion controller under the dash and popped off the cover and found all the fuses. My fuse for the one drain pump had popped, it was a 5 amp fuse and I replaced and I'm back in business. Thanks!

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
On 6/1/2016 at 9:48 PM, Malibuzer said:

Jake, I can't remember 09 for sure but under the dash just forward of the steering wheel should be the fuse box.  Open the cover and check there.  Also it may be worth your time to remove the top from the drain pump to see if something is stuck in it. 

Trent

Question, I'm having the same issue with my 06 LSV 23.  However mine are 'black" breakers that pop out and then just need to be pushed in to be reset.  One of my pumps will fill but when I attempt to drain it pops.  Is there a fuse behind that panel that needs to be replaced as well?  Looks like I would have to screw it off to get behind them.  

5 minutes ago, MileHighWakeSetter said:

Question, I'm having the same issue with my 06 LSV 23.  However mine are 'black" breakers that pop out and then just need to be pushed in to be reset.  One of my pumps will fill but when I attempt to drain it pops.  Is there a fuse behind that panel that needs to be replaced as well?  Looks like I would have to screw it off to get behind them.  

You will have a separate drain pump.  There are two pumps for each ballast.  Which pump is it?  Usually I have found that you can remove the top of the pump and find something stopping the impeller (rocks, vegetation)  If this is the case clean it out and try it again.  If there is no blockage, pull off the top and see if the impeller moves easily.  You can them try to start the pump out of the body and see if the breaker trips again.  If it does you will need to replace the pump itself.

2 hours ago, Malibuzer said:

You will have a separate drain pump.  There are two pumps for each ballast.  Which pump is it?  Usually I have found that you can remove the top of the pump and find something stopping the impeller (rocks, vegetation)  If this is the case clean it out and try it again.  If there is no blockage, pull off the top and see if the impeller moves easily.  You can them try to start the pump out of the body and see if the breaker trips again.  If it does you will need to replace the pump itself.

Its the rear starboard ballast that won't drain.  I have the three pumps to the left of the captains chair in the floor and I believe it is the pump closest to the chair .'.< right rear.  I will check to see if it needs to be cleaned out.  

40 minutes ago, MileHighWakeSetter said:

Its the rear starboard ballast that won't drain.  I have the three pumps to the left of the captains chair in the floor and I believe it is the pump closest to the chair .'.< right rear.  I will check to see if it needs to be cleaned out.  

If I remember correctly your drain pump for the right rear will be in the rear starboard storage compartment right next to transom and engine dividers.  There will be a rectangular cover screwed over the pump sticking up about 1 1/2 inches. 

5 minutes ago, Malibuzer said:

If I remember correctly your drain pump for the right rear will be in the rear starboard storage compartment right next to transom and engine dividers.  There will be a rectangular cover screwed over the pump sticking up about 1 1/2 inches. 

Awesome, thanks so much for the help! I will check and let you know how I do.

Just now, MileHighWakeSetter said:

Awesome, thanks so much for the help! I will check and let you know how I do.

I am looking for some old photos that I had for that exact same pump in a 2007 VTX

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 4:01 PM, Malibuzer said:

Yep.  Most likely some debris in the pump housing. Take out the cartridge top piece via blue ring that screws in onto housing, and try to run it out of housing. If it wont run ya have to replace the pump cartridge. I clean mine yearly and use 303 all over inside housing and on the pump impeller ect... waterproof silicone lube can be used in pump housing as well but small amounts, it can cause stuff to stick inside housing.  Careful not to break or crack the fitting into tank when ya work on drain pumps.