Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Service engine warning and pulling codes...

So I took my new to me 13 lsv out for the first time the other day and kept getting a service engine warning. All gauges looks good, boat runs fine, so I exit out and it returns every 5 minutes.

does the engine have to be running to pull codes? I've gone through the Active and Inactive engine codes and nothing comes up. I've only done this while the boat is out of the water.

Now, the reason for the code I'm assuming is the engine got hot. How'd it get hot you ask, good question!!

I asked the previous owner of the boat numerous times what needed to be done before the boat was dropped in and the answer each time was nothing, drop it in and go. Long story short, the water line valve under the port side of the engine was closed, I ran the boat for about 40 seconds like this until I smelled burning, looked at my temp gauge and it was at 240! I immediately shut the boat off. After finally getting ahold of the previous owner, he told me to check that valve, and of course, it was closed. After burning the ever living SH!t outta my arm opening it, I started the boat, and within 30 seconds it was down to 160, and ran flawless all day, apart from the service engine warning. (o2 sensor maybe)

The engine is the L96 if that makes a difference. Lemme know if y'all have any incite, thanks!!

Thought about that, but would that throw a code? I talked about that with the prev owner and he thought it was most likely ok since it was ran for only 30-40 seconds.

Apart from taking it out and inspecting it, how could I tell?

14 hours ago, Cmb396 said:

Thought about that, but would that throw a code? I talked about that with the prev owner and he thought it was most likely ok since it was ran for only 30-40 seconds.

Apart from taking it out and inspecting it, how could I tell?

No way to tell without taking it out, and at that point you may as well replace it and keep the old one for a spare.  Pretty hard to believe that it heated  the engine up in 40 seconds.

Edited by oldjeep
42 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

No way to tell without taking it out, and at that point you may as well replace it and keep the old one for a spare.  Pretty hard to believe that it heated  the engine up in 40 seconds.

I really only went 300-400 yards maybe. I know it has a new impeller in it, doesn't mean this one isn't ruined tho. It cooled fine after the issue and temps stayed below 160 for the rest of the day.

Back to my question, does the boat have to be running to pull codes?

That code is for the sensor that is before the catalytic converter on the odd bank (Bank A) side of the engine. The first troubleshooting I would do is to swap the pre catalyst sensors from side to side and see if the problem travels with the sensor or stays on the odd bank side of the engine. If the problem travels with the sensor, it is probably a sensor issue. If the problem stays on bank A there is a problem on that side of the engine that will need further diagnosis.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Engine Nut said:

That code is for the sensor that is before the catalytic converter on the odd bank (Bank A) side of the engine. The first troubleshooting I would do is to swap the pre catalyst sensors from side to side and see if the problem travels with the sensor or stays on the odd bank side of the engine. If the problem travels with the sensor, it is probably a sensor issue. If the problem stays on bank A there is a problem on that side of the engine that will need further diagnosis.

So I started with the sensors closest to the muffler, swapped them and still got the code. Then I swapped the sensors closest to the primaries, and the code went away. I cycled the engine 3 times, no code. Gonna leave it sit awhile and come back in a few hours and cycle it again to see if stays gone. I cleaned all of the sensors too with a soft, clean brush. I know the oil from your hands can throw them off as well. Fingers crossed! (Slightly puzzled why just switching sides would eliminate the code tho!!)

21 hours ago, Cmb396 said:

(Slightly puzzled why just switching sides would eliminate the code tho!!)

Do they ground through the 02 sensor?  Maybe just cleaned up the ground path by removing and reinstalling?

Or a slightly loose or corroded connector that got a better connection after swapping them?