Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

97 sunsetter VLX Monsoon 320 fault codes? Vapor lock ?

Hello having some issues with my engine (97 Indmar Monsoon 320) seems as it warms up to operating temp it will not hold rpm or speeds very well constantly adjusting. also after running it for a while and coming down to idle it starts to misfire and smells as if its running rich. It has got new plugs, wires, cap, rotor. fuel filters and cleaned screen on fuel pump. performed compression test and I have good compression across the board. I was wondering if there could be faults in the ECM with out the check engine light being illuminated? I have read some things about vapor lock but I've never had it to where it wont start. It will start just runs very bad and some times stalls when putting it into gear. after it cools down it runs fine and idles great. Any help or ideas would be great thanks.

carb or fuel injected?

if fuel injected:

have you checked the fuel pressure at key up, idle, and WOT?

have you had the fuel injectors cleaned?

with regard to the idle, have you replaced the idle air control and throttle position sensor?

Port fuel injected. no to replacing sensors and have not had injectors cleaned. seems like this issue has got worse over the past few days/

I will look into testing sensors tonight I do have the shop manual ? and will test fuel pressure. it has 1000 hours on it should I look at putting a new coil on it ?

Just now, Acarey36 said:

Port fuel injected. no to replacing sensors and have not had injectors cleaned. seems like this issue has got worse over the past few days/

I will look into testing sensors tonight I do have the shop manual ? and will test fuel pressure. it has 1000 hours on it should I look at putting a new coil on it ?

I am not sure you are having the same issues I had last year, but I had trouble at the end of last summer, ended up being a combination of a bad fuel injector and failing coil or ignition control module and a dying fuel pump.

did you test the fuel injectors or just replace them

just was going to order a code reader but if the light is not on is there any reason too

7 minutes ago, Acarey36 said:

did you test the fuel injectors or just replace them

just was going to order a code reader but if the light is not on is there any reason too

I figured based on what others have said, I think RTS had a write up on this, that it was time to have them cleaned.  I pulled them had them cleaned/rebuilt and matched and replaced them.  They are expensive to replace, not that bad to have them cleaned and rebuilt.  Start with a fuel pressure test.

5 hours ago, Acarey36 said:

37 psi at idle and it's stalling 

http://www.bakesonline.com/images/MediaLibrary/Indmar_96-06FuelpsiRef.pdf

seems like it should idle at 37psi

A failing ignition control module will over heat and act up, when it cools down it will run again, but when it fails you will have no spark 

Edited by Bozboat
Edit

Yeah had the gauge on it as it was running Rough and stalling pressure never dropped under 36. Picked up a new ignition control module at lunch today should have it installed after work. I was home on lunch and was running the boat as it came up to temp 140-160 it started running worse and worse eventually stalled and would not start. Seems as if there was no spark at all . 

• 1 year later...

So- the ignition module didn't fix the problem?  I have a problem  where the boat runs fine- skiing hard for about half hour- then it dies.  No restart until completely cooled down.   New pick up coil, new coil, injectors have been cleaned, all new filters.....