Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wanted - Wide view mirror and tower bracket recommendations

sic0048

We just bought a 2004 Response LXi and it has a Titan tower installed.  The stock mirror (mounted on the windshield) is at a terrible height and it creates a large blind spot while driving.  I'd like to get a decent tower mount for the mirror to raise it up farther and allow better vision for the driver.  I'd also like to get a wider angle mirror while I'm at it.  The stock mirror doesn't allow the driver to see a skier during their turn because it isn't a wide enough angle view.

I'd love to hear what your suggestions for mirror and mounting arms are.  I suspect a articulating arm is going to allow the most flexibility, but I'm not opposed to a one piece arm if there is a really good one that has universal praises.

Thanks for the help!

Edited by sic0048

I have a PTM Edge Elite I was going to post in the classifieds but haven't yet.  It is in great condition.  You could get an arm off the tower or the window clamp like many are using now.  Here is a link to the mirror.  If interested I can send you a PM with pricing. http://ptmedge.com/vr-140-elite-mirror/

2 hours ago, sic0048 said:

We just bought a 2004 Response LXi and it has a Titan tower installed.  The stock mirror (mounted on the windshield) is at a terrible height and it creates a large blind spot while driving.  I'd like to get a decent tower mount for the mirror to raise it up farther and allow better vision for the driver.  I'd also like to get a wider angle mirror while I'm at it.  The stock mirror doesn't allow the driver to see a skier during their turn because it isn't a wide enough angle view.

I'd love to hear what your suggestions for mirror and mounting arms are.  I suspect a articulating arm is going to allow the most flexibility, but I'm not opposed to a one piece arm if there is a really good one that has universal praises.

Thanks for the help!

Star One bracket, Titan 2 tower & PTM mirror. Rock solid under even the worst conditions.  And never notice an issue in the course.

20130615_192621-1_zps040f3d16.jpg

The Cipa Vision is worth a look too. And less expensive. 

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

Tower mount mirror is going to be horrible for in the course.  What are you looking at that the stock mirror is in the way when driving a skier?

If I drove on a private lake only, the stock mirror would be fine, but we are on a large public lake.  I tend to want to sit in the driver's seat a little higher than normal - especially when there is people sitting in the bow - and I'm usually looking over the top of the windshield.  With the stock mirror sitting right above the windshield, it creates a huge blind spot for me.   I mentioned it to my wife and when she drove the boat for the first time she agreed it had to go.....   

On our 93 Mastercraft PS190, we have a windshield mounted mirror and it works just fine, but on the Malibu it is in the way.  

I am a little concerned about the depth of field on the wider view mirrors.  The benefit of the wide view comes at a cost - it makes it seem like the skier is much farther back.  I'm thinking that I will keep the small windshield mirror from the MC and use it when I'm teaching someone how to ski.  I want to be able to see their technique and facial expressions and I'm worried that I won't be able to see that kind of detail on the wide angle mirror. 

I too use a standard mirror on the driver windshield but i cant see folks unless they are right behind the boat. I also want to see them close up which the curved mirror does not allow. I thought about using a curved and a standard in a dual setup or a 3 piece mirror. 

Any convex mirror will change the depth aspect, another option for a wider field of view with flat mirror panels would be a multi panel mirror.  Google Wink or 5 panel mirror to get options.

They do make those three piece mirrors - a normal mirror with the two adjustable wings.  That was my first thought, but it seems that there is still a lot of blind spots where you won't be able to see your rider.  Of course I'm sure it would be better for viewing the rider when they are right behind the boat.

What is the difference between the PTM mirrors and the wide angle Cipa mirrors (besides the huge price difference)?  Has anyone used both and have an opinion on which is better and can explain why?

I have PTM Edge Elite & Pro and Cipa 180.  I bought the Elite for a decent price and bought the Cipa 180 at the same time to compare.  I wanted to love the Cipa so I could justify sending the other one back but the billet aluminum housing just feels so much stronger.  The optics on the PTM are much better as well (in my opinion).  If I would've bought the Cipa 180 and went to that over my stock mirror, I think it would be fine but after having the PTM I couldn't justify using the Cipa.  Then I won a PTM Edge Pro (which is black) which matches my tower arm so I installed that one on the boat.  Same optics but not billet aluminum casing.  To me, the mirrors are like a good pair of sunglasses.  You can drop  little money on a pair that works well but once you drop the money on Oakleys or similar, you never want to go back.

As I mentioned above, I am planning to sell the PTM Elite and probably the Cipa 180 (NIB) so if interested send me a PM.  

• Like 1