Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Just a reminder to use your blower and check your fire extinguishers

sic0048

My fire extinguisher needs to be replaced (just inside red line). I'd like to get the family out in the driveway and have them put out a trash can lid fire. It should be educational, especially for the younger members. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

Pull the pin

Aim

Squeeze the trigger

Sweep across the fire

Just thought I'd point that out.

Yup, the PASS method.  The last line should be "Sweep at the base of the fire" though.  

• Like 1

I've always been intrigued by the blowers... They have a small electric motor, usually mounted along with the fan itself in the center of the tube.. Now typically those motors are really electrically 'noisy' and that equals sparks - I don't actually understand why they are safe to run - surely they are not intrinsically safe motors ?  Anyone know ?

Just curious ...

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 8:12 AM, smc1048576 said:

Im thankful to have found this thread...

Is there anything else such as the blower, that a new Bu owner should know? 

When I first got my boat, I began using this acronym. 

"P.A.R.K.",  it's a simple Acronym that I use before launching the boat each time.  Helps me remember these four steps when I'm at a busy and chaotic boat ramp:

P    PLUG- check that the plugs are all in.

A   AERATE- Run the Blower for several minutes before starting.

R    REAR STRAPS- Before launching, remove the rear straps to the trailer.

K    KEYS- Remember to bring the keys.

Edited by kayakwv

People with fuel/direct injected engines are still using blowers? I havent turned my blower on since i got rid of my last dd ski boat with a carb back in the early 2000's.

If I smell fumes in my boat, theres no way I'm turning on an electrical device - theres clearly something really wrong if the engine compartment with a direct injection engine in it smells like gas and I will not be running the boat. 

Just now, wakerider107 said:

People with fuel/direct injected engines are still using blowers? I havent turned my blower on since i got rid of my last dd ski boat with a carb back in the early 2000's.

If I smell fumes in my boat, theres no way I'm turning on an electrical device - theres clearly something really wrong if the engine compartment with a direct injection engine in it smells like gas and I will not be running the boat. 

Sure, there is still the possibility for a fuel leak/fumes in an injected engine.  In some ways they are worse than a carb due to the pressures involved.  The newer boats turn on the blower automatically the first time you power up.

On 6/11/2016 at 3:27 AM, Punyelroo said:

I've always been intrigued by the blowers... They have a small electric motor, usually mounted along with the fan itself in the center of the tube.. Now typically those motors are really electrically 'noisy' and that equals sparks - I don't actually understand why they are safe to run - surely they are not intrinsically safe motors ?  Anyone know ?

Just curious ...

A marine engine vent blower should be "ignition protected" to help prevent/contain a fire. The industry definition of ignition protected is: 

A. they won't ignite a surrounding air-fuel mixture if there is an explosion inside them.
B. they can't reach a high enough surface temperature or generate enough spark to ignite an air-fuel mixture.

This is why it's not safe to use automotive parts on a boat. My *guess* is that if your boat catches on fire and you make an insurance claim the insurance company is going to want to know that all the parts are marine certified parts or they could deny the claim for negligence.

16 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Sure, there is still the possibility for a fuel leak/fumes in an injected engine.  In some ways they are worse than a carb due to the pressures involved.  The newer boats turn on the blower automatically the first time you power up.

I would agree that its worse in an injected engine, but the idea of a blower is to remove fumes so you can safely start your engine. If your injected engine smells like gas, a blower won't fix the problem and I wouldn't start my blower if fumes were present in an injected engine - I'd be getting a tow and bringing it to the dealer.

Auto blower is a gimmick.

18 minutes ago, wakerider107 said:

I would agree that its worse in an injected engine, but the idea of a blower is to remove fumes so you can safely start your engine. If your injected engine smells like gas, a blower won't fix the problem and I wouldn't start my blower if fumes were present in an injected engine - I'd be getting a tow and bringing it to the dealer.

If you can smell it, that is fine.  But you can't necessarily smell it unless you are opening up the hatches.  You do you, I'll keep running the blower

26 minutes ago, wakerider107 said:

But you mistake a single purpose of the blower as the ONLY purpose.  But yes, don't mind us and proudly remove your blower. Come out of the blower closet!

I'm too impatient to use the blower for 4 minutes so I open the hatch and stick my nose in there - or have a trusted crew do it.  Faster, and then I would know I have a problem instead of using the blower and starting up - perhaps not knowing I had a fuel leak.

• Like 1

Good info on the blower. I will start using mine more.   My 15A22 has a engine compartment fire suppression system installed, from malibu I think.  I also have a hand held unit.  How long, on newer boats , before fuel hoses and such have to be replaced?