Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Just a reminder to use your blower and check your fire extinguishers

sic0048

Just ran into the driver of this boat this last weekend.  This was in 2008 and they were running, engine sputtered. He stopped and then BOOM!  I was one of the first on scene to help out.

2595778350_bfc91c4481_o.jpg

Hydrodyne Inboard

Edited by footndale

Well if I knew the engine was on fire, I'd lift the cover up just enough to sick my extinguisher under it and release the contents. I suspect that would put out most fires because the cover would help contain the suppressant and keep the air off.  If that didn't work, we would certainly be abandoning ship.  The problem is that the cover probably masks most fires until it is too late.

I also wouldn't want to fully open the engine cover because I suspect the sudden influx of air would allow the fire to grow exponentially immediately.  Kind of like pulling the gas pump line from your car if it happens to catch on fire - a big non-no.

One of the cool features I noticed on the new Prostar, an automatic FE241 fire suppression system in the engine box.  Has a heat sensor that automatically trips the fire extinguisher, no need to lift the cover.

56 minutes ago, sic0048 said:

Well if I knew the engine was on fire, I'd lift the cover up just enough to sick my extinguisher under it and release the contents. I suspect that would put out most fires because the cover would help contain the suppressant and keep the air off.  If that didn't work, we would certainly be abandoning ship.  The problem is that the cover probably masks most fires until it is too late.

I also wouldn't want to fully open the engine cover because I suspect the sudden influx of air would allow the fire to grow exponentially immediately.  Kind of like pulling the gas pump line from your car if it happens to catch on fire - a big non-no.

Doing that introduces a source of O2 and gives flames somewhere to escape.  No thanks.  Grab crew, go over the side, swim far enough away to avoid an explosion.

3 minutes ago, Woodski said:

One of the cool features I noticed on the new Prostar, an automatic FE241 fire suppression system in the engine box.  Has a heat sensor that automatically trips the fire extinguisher, no need to lift the cover.

Malibu has a similar option.  Forgot what it cost but does the same thing.

FE241 is the alternate version for Halon, does the same thing removes the oxygen in the source location or in an enclosed area.  Not for open air use.

I assume that most manufacturers have the option, it is available aftermarket through multiple outlets.

Saw a boat burn to a pile of melted fiberglass resin back about 8-9 years ago.

The wife and I have been religious blower fanatics since that day.

So I only use the blower when I first launch or if we are on the water and the engine is off for more than about 20 minutes. I don't run the blower if I shut the engine off to swap skiers which usually only takes a few minutes. Is this not correct?

My blower rarely gets turned off.  I routinely turn it on but forget to turn it off once underway.  A lot of other boats have a port to shove the fire extinguisher in without lifting the engine hatch.  That seems like something everyone should have or at least offer.  

1 minute ago, TCdave said:

So I only use the blower when I first launch or if we are on the water and the engine is off for more than about 20 minutes. I don't run the blower if I shut the engine off to swap skiers which usually only takes a few minutes. Is this not correct?

If it's been less than 20 minutes I don't run it. If you have fumes building up that fast, you have other issues. ha

I also run the blower while at the fuel dock. Not sure if it makes that much of a difference, but I dang sure feel better about it. 

I probably run the blower 80 - 90 % of the time we're on the boat. It's cheap insurance. Mine is quiet so you barely notice it over the engine or stereo. Besides venting out any gas fumes, it also vents out the heat & seems to prevent vapor lock (which I have seen on this boat a couple times).

About the only time I turn it off is if someone is on the swimstep or if the boat is just sitting without anything running.

Years ago I bought my first extended pylon from a guy on WW who burned his boat to the waterline. Only thing left was my pylon, that happened to be sitting on the dock.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

In Europe I think it is mandatory for all boats of this type to be fitted with the automatic engine bay extinguisher. I am sure that was what I was told when I ordered mine, which has it, and i didn't spec it as an option.

3 years ago I was at the marina working on my old big boat and we heard an explosion, jumped in the truck and went to find out what happened...

We followed the smoke and found this boat on fire about a mile away.  The boat was at the fuel dock, had just gotten gas and exploded when they attempted to restart the engines.  It was a brand new boat owner of an older boat.  They had just had the boat put in for the first time 30 mins prior.  The investigation later determined the fuel fill hose was deteriorated so as they fueled the boat a large quantity of fuel was leaked into the bilge and led to the explosion when they keyed the starter.  The moral of the story is obviously to have proper safety gear on boad and used your blowers, but also dont underestimate the importance of routinly inspecting all your systems to make sure everythong is in "ship shape"!  I always make a point to pop my engine hatches and do a quick look around at the beginning of the day and especially after getting fuel or trailering any long distances when things may have been jostled around in the engine bay.  Unfortunly for these 2 guys on board, one was killed and the second was very severly burned and injured after literally being blown out of the boat when the engine hatch he was standing on got lunched off by the explosion.  I believe the dock attendant also suffered injuries. 

FB_IMG_1464781950803_zpsuxvvlr3h.jpg

FB_IMG_1464781963970_zpstjzbrbqf.jpg

More important that just running the blower, is checking for gas fumes and or liquid fuel accumulation. One thing I bet most of the boats have in common, is their age. Built before the rubber and plastic fuel components were ethanol tolerant. Hose and tanks deteriorate due to the ethanol, and then leak.  

11 hours ago, ibelonginprison said:

If it's been less than 20 minutes I don't run it. If you have fumes building up that fast, you have other issues. ha

I also run the blower while at the fuel dock. Not sure if it makes that much of a difference, but I dang sure feel better about it. 

You should NOT run your blower while fueling! There are always fumes present around the boat while fuelling since air and fumes are forced out of your fuel tank vent as the fuel goes in.  Running the blower while fueling is very bad and depending on where your bilge ventilation intake and fuel vent are located can actually suck fumes in to the bilge.  You should fuel with all hatches closed and blowers off, wait a bit for air to clear and then run the blowers before starting engines. 

• Like 2

We turn our blower on prior to starting the motor and it runs the entire time we run.  Fire extinguishers should be used only to help another nearby boat, not your own.  If your boat catches fire, jump ship ASAP. 

2 hours ago, wedge88 said:

Fire extinguishers should be used only to help another nearby boat, not your own.  If your boat catches fire, jump ship ASAP. 

Im sorry, but that statement makes no sense.  You think it is ok to go and try to help a boat that is on fire (which is surely out of control by the time other boaters notice the fire), but it isn't OK to try and extinguish flames on your boat when the fire is hopefully very small.  Sounds completely backwards to me.....