Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Great weekend ends on a sour note

KeepingupwiththeJones

So I got two good lake days in over the holiday but I took a little damage on the drive home today.

A423DA64-212A-4FD5-8043-8EB6A71023FC_zps

Looks like rock jumped up and got me. Anyone have any idea how much replacing this window costs? Think my car insurance will cover it? I have a smaller deductible vs my boat coverage.

On the auto coverage, only liability coverage extends but unfortunately you can't be liable against yourself...you will be stuck with your boat deductible for comprehensive most likely.

31 minutes ago, t a said:

On the auto coverage, only liability coverage extends but unfortunately you can't be liable against yourself...you will be stuck with your boat deductible for comprehensive most likely.

I don't think it was self inflicted. The rock hit the low corner of the window. More likely to be the hull that takes damage form what I could kick up.

F5FF3E43-8F4D-447F-9F17-69E7B327E921_zps

12 minutes ago, wakebrdr94 said:

Same thing happened to me on my 2010 VLX, i think it was about 700 to replace the center panel.  

$700! Ouch

I don't know how to search for threads started my me but I documented what I went thru to replace a curved piece of the windshield on my 98 sunsetter 

After a few years Malibu won't have replacement glass, used won't be available and you will have to work with the manufacturer of the windshield.  Mine was made by Taylor Made iirc.  

They will need a number from the sticker on your windshield.  Having that number will make everything much simpler.  After that it's a 7 day ish turn around including shipping, again iirc.  The cost of the glass was very reasonable at $350-400 iirc and it was a perfect match and fit.

I had progressive ins with the vanishing deductible so they paid 100% of the cost. 

Good luck.

Edited by rabiddawg

I took a bit of damage too this weekend.  Sucks but we had fun and I hope you did too.  Good luck.  Post up your results in dealing w/ the insurance if you decide to file a claim.  

Ouch! Was that with cover or without? Sorry to hear.

My wife hit a small stick on Sunday which decided to get stuck in the prop so I had to dive to get it off.  Luckily only damage I can tell is some light scuffing on the hull. I saved the stick as a piece of driftwood for our property, hoping it's the one and done. 

3 minutes ago, KeepingupwiththeJones said:

No cover. I have always operated under the impression it's bad to tow with the stock cover.

Bummer to hear man.... If it's a tow-able cover fine just not a mooring cover.  Do you have mud flaps at all? 

No flaps. I am not sure the cover would have made a difference. At least it happened on the way home so I didn't lose the day. Really not the end of the world I just have a houseboat trip in 19 days so I want it all fixed before that. I am ready to have my dealer borrow one from a new boat on their lot if they can't get one from Malibu fast enough.

45 minutes ago, Gavin17 said:

Do you actually use the window? I don't unless it's cold out.  Can you just temporarily remove it until the new one arrives?

That's the back up plan

That's one of those "random, nothing you could have done, couldn't recreated it if you tried" things.

But I feel your pain. I was 10 minutes from the Marina on Monday, putting up after the three day weekend, when I developed a sudden shudder on acceleration. Didn't hear or feel it if I hit something.  Prop looks and feels fine, had it swapped out with my old one, and the shudder was still there. So... now I guess I get play the game of "is my cutlass bearing bad, or not?... is my shaft alignment bad or not?"

19 minutes ago, ibelonginprison said:

That's one of those "random, nothing you could have done, couldn't recreated it if you tried" things.

But I feel your pain. I was 10 minutes from the Marina on Monday, putting up after the three day weekend, when I developed a sudden shudder on acceleration. Didn't hear or feel it if I hit something.  Prop looks and feels fine, had it swapped out with my old one, and the shudder was still there. So... now I guess I get play the game of "is my cutlass bearing bad, or not?... is my shaft alignment bad or not?"

I assume you checked the torque on the bolts from the v-drive to the driveshaft, right? I had all but one of the bolts back out on my '93 and I kept thinking I had hit something or wrapped a rope around the prop/shaft; I looked "under the hood" and the problem was obvious.

Well the bad news is my auto insurance wouldn't cover it and my boat deductible is a lot. Good news is it was only 280 plus shipping for a replacement from the dealer and will be here Friday.

15 hours ago, KeepingupwiththeJones said:

Well the bad news is my auto insurance wouldn't cover it and my boat deductible is a lot. Good news is it was only 280 plus shipping for a replacement from the dealer and will be here Friday.

Is it the frame and window or just the glass?

if it's the frame save it to keep the windshield locks, they can break easily 

19 hours ago, mikeo said:

I assume you checked the torque on the bolts from the v-drive to the driveshaft, right? I had all but one of the bolts back out on my '93 and I kept thinking I had hit something or wrapped a rope around the prop/shaft; I looked "under the hood" and the problem was obvious.

Yup.

Did aaaaaaaaall of that. You can see my troubleshooting thread here... 

Mine broke on my 2013 VTX while on the way home from purchasing it. Around 300 bucks to replace. The whole thing frame and glass, glass not sold separate. Dealer item only.

Next time I trailer far--over 100 miles I'm going to put some cardboard over the center window.

Regards!!