Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Touch Command Issues

15 hours ago, jgates237 said:

^^^^ This isn't good.

Gee, why are they out of stock? Could it be these things are a high failure item? Apparently enough to be out of stock but not enough to warrant a recall.

Exactly!

Bit of a stretch but the boat not starting is one thing. The boat not starting at dusk in the barge channel with no lights. Safety issue.

The difference in this and say, a battery or electrical problem causing the same results is that the touch screen is a known documented problem that the manufacturer is well aware of. Malibu may yet realize they have some exposure and come around but probably not before I spend $1,600.

ahopkins22LSV
2 hours ago, windy1 said:

Bit of a stretch but the boat not starting is one thing. The boat not starting at dusk in the barge channel with no lights. Safety issue.

The difference in this and say, a battery or electrical problem causing the same results is that the touch screen is a known documented problem that the manufacturer is well aware of. Malibu may yet realize they have some exposure and come around but probably not before I spend $1,600.

I think there is a fuse panel under the dash that allows you to move the fuse into a bypass spot to function to options on the screen. I know there is for my TXi for the blower and bilge. Not sure on lights. Our TXi is a 2013. I would take a look.

I understand Malibu not wanting to give these screens away, but they insist on gouging us on replacement price. That's what hurts. Why not sell at cost, they know it's a common failure rate? A little positive P.R. goes a long ways.

11 hours ago, dalt1 said:

I understand Malibu not wanting to give these screens away, but they insist on gouging us on replacement price. That's what hurts. Why not sell at cost, they know it's a common failure rate? A little positive P.R. goes a long ways.

Are you sure it isn't the dealer gouging you on the price?

Do we even know if these replacement screens are in any way different to prevent future delamination?  I'd hate to blow that type of cash on something that will inevitably fail in less than 5 years. 

• Like 1

so my dealer is currently waiting on 3 backordered screens due in late this month (including mine). My screen still works but the 2 other boats waiting are dead. I called Malibu directly and had a conversation with a tech guy regarding this issue but he had nothing to do with warranty or pricing.

My question was: Are the new screens improved or am I looking at a new screen every 5 years. Answer: these are brand new screens that should not have the same problem.

2011 is the only year without a remote key start. Is a retro key start available: Answer is yes and it should be a fairly easy under dash install. (dealer is checking price) He recommended installing this with a new screen as every boat should have one.

Although he was not the right guy I did let him know that I have a vary strong opinion that Malibu should, at a minimum, provide the remote key start kit to 2011 owners for free. I am starting to believe that the 2011-12 era screen fail rate will eventually be 100%  

Reading this thread makes me want to keep my 06 forever. Would it be possible to install backup controls on one of these things? I would hate to have down time during the summer because of something like this. Are these screens a Malibu only part or is it something we may be able to do detective work to find somewhere else other than a Malibu dealer? Do the middle maliview screens also cost this much? 

Edit: Also wanted to ask if these controls are really much more convenient when they are working than just flipping switches? I like the idea of presets for my next boat so when others are driving it will be easier than having them flip 8 switches for ballast. I have really been considering buying a 10-12 era boat because it's the nicest thing in my price range but if the electronics are a big expense to keep going I may opt for a simpler boat like an Axis. 

Edited by robbennett
ahopkins22LSV
On 6/6/2017 at 4:48 PM, ahopkinsTXi said:

I think there is a fuse panel under the dash that allows you to move the fuse into a bypass spot to function to options on the screen. I know there is for my TXi for the blower and bilge. Not sure on lights. Our TXi is a 2013. I would take a look.

27 minutes ago, robbennett said:

Reading this thread makes me want to keep my 06 forever. Would it be possible to install backup controls on one of these things? I would hate to have down time during the summer because of something like this. Are these screens a Malibu only part or is it something we may be able to do detective work to find somewhere else other than a Malibu dealer? Do the middle maliview screens also cost this much? 

Edit: Also wanted to ask if these controls are really much more convenient when they are working than just flipping switches? I like the idea of presets for my next boat so when others are driving it will be easier than having them flip 8 switches for ballast. I have really been considering buying a 10-12 era boat because it's the nicest thing in my price range but if the electronics are a big expense to keep going I may opt for a simpler boat like an Axis. 

Hopefully some one can confirm my post above about the fuses to be able to control things.

And IMO yes, "Fill All" and "Drain All" is very nice.

2 hours ago, windy1 said:

This is my 3rd used Malibu (01, 04, 11) and the first time I have ever needed a dealer for anything.

Same here, 2000, 2004, 2012 and now I have to rely on the dealer to keep my boat functioning correctly.  Not good, 3 hour round trip to closest dealer.

The screen on my 2012 is also starting to delaminate around the edges. All buttons still function as normal right now. My boat has 400 hours on it and has always been garage stored out of the elements. Can we setup a poll on this site? It would be interesting to see some data on failure rates.

My dealer said it's not common but also says they haven't had any luck getting relief for other customers whose screens have failed out of warranty. They also quoted me a price of $1760 for a new one. I pushed back a bit and asked them to again try and work with Malibu to get some help on this since it's a known issue. Has anybody found a more affordable source for a replacement yet?

Edited by Brett B
5 hours ago, Brett B said:

The screen on my 2012 is also starting to delaminate around the edges. All buttons still function as normal right now. My boat has 400 hours on it and has always been garage stored out of the elements. Can we setup a poll on this site? It would be interesting to see some data on failure rates.

My dealer said it's not common but also says they haven't had any luck getting relief for other customers whose screens have failed out of warranty. They also quoted me a price of $1760 for a new one. I pushed back a bit and asked them to again try and work with Malibu to get some help on this since it's a known issue. Has anybody found a more affordable source for a replacement yet?

I believe you're in the going rate ballpark. I've seen as low as $1600 and higher towards $2000.

Mine is in bad shape but still functions. I'm about to go out for a set so we'll see if today is the day...It's just a matter of time.

8 hours ago, Brett B said:

I could have wrote this^^^^.

• 4 months later...

Good thread and appreciate having somewhere to go to troubleshoot.   If anyone is keeping track add me to the list.  Mine is a 2011 Rlxi with 345 hours.  Started noticing the bubbles last season and at the end of this season had my first problem turning on interior lights.  Lost Nav lights next while on the water. 

Looks like I need the keyed ignition too.  

• 4 months later...
On 5/31/2016 at 8:57 AM, jgates237 said:

Sensitive subject for many of us, especially the 2011-12 owners. Does your screen have bubbling around the edges of it? If so you have significant issues and will have to replace the screen. If not then it could be something that is repairable through a reset or reseating wire bundles. Did you purchase it from a dealer? If so I'd be in touch with the dealer right away.

I was having the same issue on my 2012 VTX. Although it was involved, I was able to fix mine by replacing the screen. I can do this for others for $500. Message me if your interested.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:41 PM, CLT said:

I was having the same issue on my 2012 VTX. Although it was involved, I was able to fix mine by replacing the screen. I can do this for others for $500. Message me if your interested.

Pm'd you

• 1 month later...

I've been working this issue along with CLT. Since my screen was woefully delaminated and started to fail at the end of last season I decided to dissect it. With help from CLT I split the case to see what's inside. The bonding they use to adhere the touch screen/lcd to the plastic case is some nasty sticky stuff. I heated the edges of the case with a heat gun, ran a sharp utility knife down the seam then separated the screen from the case with the use of a wide thin putty knife. This took some time to do. I have to admit that I cracked the screen due to my own stupidity (used a thin screw driver on the corner of the glass, stupid me) but it really doesn't matter because the screen will be replaced along with the underlying LCD. Separating the screen from the case is challenging because it's incredibly sticky and there are two thin ribbons and two wires for the long lcd lights that attach to another board that sits in the bottom of the plastic case. I ended up messing up one of the ribbons which attaches to the glass screen face (digitizer) and again, this would be replaced with the new LCD and glass touch screen assembly so it shouldn't be an issue.

Once I cleaned everything up you could see what need to be replaced and here in lies the challenge. They sell the AA065VB07 (I have this number memorized) LCD everywhere however finding one with the glass screen digitizer attached is another story. I've looked high and low, emailed numerous electronics companies all over the world (didn't know that they spoke Portuguese in southern Brazil) with no success to date. If you Google AA065VB07 and look at the pictures you'll see lots of lcd screens with metal frames but just a couple with the black screen face. It's the black screen face one that we need and they are either out of stock or in some foreign land. The ones in the US are sold out and beyond that you're dealing with direct sales to China and lots of unknowns.

I do have a few emails out to US based electronics shops that sell the replacement model for our screen which is the AA065VE11 but again I haven't seen anything with the glass touch screen digitizer. Now if someone out there knows how to properly marry up the LCD with the right digitizer then I think we may have found the parts we need to make this happen. I'm just not sure who to ask about matching the right parts together. The LCDs are relatively cheap ~$150 and I ssume the glass digitizer is comparable. 

In finishing, I think this totally doable. Yes it's a bit frustrating but it can be done if we have the parts. CLT mentioned he plugged in his replacement screen with digitizer face and it worked right off the bat so I'm assuming all he needs to do is re-seal his lcd and touch screen to the box and reinstall.

Let me know what you think!

Edited by jgates237
clarity
1 hour ago, jgates237 said:

I've been working this issue along with CLT.

Excellent detective work!  There has to be an answer out there.  Maybe when you find it I won't be so hesitant to get a "modern" Malibu.

I've spent countless hours searching with that part number, using different combination of search terms etc and still nothing to show for it.  The LCD portion is clear, but the digitizer/glass cover is not easy to find.  Let's assume you could find these pieces individually, what would it take to laminate them back together?  That sticky stuff you are referring to is the epoxy that seals the units together.  I believe that is also the cause for the bubbling.  Another thing I've noticed after pulling my boat out last weekend.  My screen never gets worse in the summer.  Only in the winter usually after I open it up for the year do I notice a small increase in the bubbling.  So it's not heat related.

3 hours ago, dalt1 said:

Thanks for all the time you put in to this. Interesting to see what it's going to take to keep a 10 or 15 year BU going in the future.

Guarantee one thing it will be much cheaper than buying a new one:)