Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Touch Command Issues

ahopkins.....if there are so "little" issues with these devices then why would Malibu pass that up?  I get what you are saying but it is still bad business.  See I think just the opposite. If the number of issues were so low then the easiest thing to do would be to resolve those.  For me, and many here, the numbers are high which is why I believe they are ignoring the problem.

I run with about 4/5 guys with Malibu 2012 - 2014 models and everyone of them have had to replace a screen.  My has been replaced twice.

That said....do you still think it's just a small problem?

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
2 minutes ago, Rbrowntn said:

ahopkins.....if there are so "little" issues with these devices then why would Malibu pass that up?  I get what you are saying but it is still bad business.  See I think just the opposite. If the number of issues were so low then the easiest thing to do would be to resolve those.  For me, and many here, the numbers are high which is why I believe they are ignoring the problem.

I run with about 4/5 guys with Malibu 2012 - 2014 models and everyone of them have had to replace a screen.  My has been replaced twice.

That said....do you still think it's just a small problem?

Honestly? No I don't think they would be more inclined to just take care of it if it was a small issue. And I can't say how big or little the problem is because I don't have the data. Its just how manufacturing industry works. This about cars and trucks. How many people all have the same issue on any vehicle out there that there has been nothing down by the manufacture and they all pay out of their pocket. Search car forums I bet you find threads just like this. 

I feel bad for everyone that has had an issue and I have a 2013 so hell I'll probably have to replace mine too. So far I've been lucky, will roll 600 hours Saturday and the screen has been on A LOT more then that.

I'm just saying A) his post was useless and it's really old that he finds every thread with any issue and copy and pages his same rant years after owning a Malibu. And B) this is the same case as any other vehicle out of the road right now that if your stereo screen, lane departure sensor or heater goes out and you are a few years out of warranty the company is going to say sorry, it's $xxxx.xx for a replacement and labor. 

I get that screens fail and such, that's tech for you.  We've even seen issues (albeit very few) with the newer Malibu's.  My problem with it all is the fact that there is no other way to start the boat.  No back up, no failsafe.  Given that many people have replaced their MTC under warranty, Malibu does have data.  Maybe it's not at the threshold for what constitutes a formal recall, but I'm sure it's up there. Then again, how often does Malibu ever issue a recall? 

I'd like to get the plans/kit that @SmoothWaterMan created.  Anyone feel like flashing a raspberry Pi with the software and putting a screen to it?  Might be an option.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, nyryan2001 said:

This is terrible, and it continues.

Homeslice himself Jackie Springer knows very well he has been gouging customers since 2011 on this.  Malibu leadership is ASTUTELY aware of the QAQC train wreck known as MtC.... since EARLY 2011.

where are all the fanboys? Why don't you hook him up with some help??  or thats only for discounts on your next upgrade?

Fanboy here!  Sorry, but I'm no help on a five year old out of warranty component.

My five year old pool pump recently died.  Hayward has been GOUGING me for their KNOWN pump failures!  Unacceptable!  

Guess Jack going to take away my non-existent discount now!

4 minutes ago, saxton15 said:

I get that screens fail and such, that's tech for you.  We've even seen issues (albeit very few) with the newer Malibu's.  My problem with it all is the fact that there is no other way to start the boat.  No back up, no failsafe.  Given that many people have replaced their MTC under warranty, Malibu does have data.  Maybe it's not at the threshold for what constitutes a formal recall, but I'm sure it's up there. Then again, how often does Malibu ever issue a recall? 

I'd like to get the plans/kit that @SmoothWaterMan created.  Anyone feel like flashing a raspberry Pi with the software and putting a screen to it?  Might be an option.

That's not correct.  There is keyed back up from the factory for every year but one (unfortunately, yours).

This is a tough topic and it is what it is but owning a large manufacturing company myself, it's bad business.  This is not isolated, I have spoken to MANY dealers who claim more than 50% of these screens have to be replaced. 

2 hours ago, nyryan2001 said:

This is terrible, and it continues.

Homeslice himself Jackie Springer knows very well he has been gouging customers since 2011 on this.  Malibu leadership is ASTUTELY aware of the QAQC train wreck known as MtC.... since EARLY 2011.

where are all the fanboys? Why don't you hook him up with some help??  or thats only for discounts on your next upgrade?

There was definitely some issues with early release 2011 models.  However with as many MTCs are out there it is a relatively low failure rate.  Most of the defective screens were replaced for free under the 3 year warranty.  My 2011 vlx I sold to a close friend who still owns the boat and has had no problems with his screen.  Infact the boat has over 450 hours on it now and is still rocking with little to no problems.

And nothing last forever, will there be more that need replaced?  Sure...and who knows how people store there boats, climates, what they do to the screens, etc...sometimes there is more to the story then we know.

Edited by Fman
ahopkins22LSV
36 minutes ago, Rbrowntn said:

This is a tough topic and it is what it is but owning a large manufacturing company myself, it's bad business.  This is not isolated, I have spoken to MANY dealers who claim more than 50% of these screens have to be replaced. 

Completely agree and I'm in manufacturing too so we both know how complicated it can be to even warranty something let alone recall it. If the data is really over 50% of all of the original mtc screens out there, then yes, I agree they should be recalled. But as we both know that is a complicated process with the supplier, if the supplier can even support it. 

43 minutes ago, Rbrowntn said:

Maybe.  But the stock price is up 100% in the last year. 

I don't think anyone has suggested there are not large failure rates on the screens.  However, they are less and less.  First experimental electronic touch controls in boats were bound to have issues, and all have, and all seem to be improving across all brands.  That said, here is a thread involving at least 4 2017 nautique LINC issues on nautiques:

https://www.planetnautique.com/vb5/forum/nautique-topics/maintenance-technical-discussion/515808-issues-with-2017-linc-panoray-touchscreen

When Malibu starts denying warranty claims on screens, I'd be upset, until then, its an item with a finite life that's not Malibu's responsibility to ensure it lasts forever.

EDIT: Jack, can we talk about that discount now?

Edited by 85 Barefoot
1 hour ago, 85 Barefoot said:

That's not correct.  There is keyed back up from the factory for every year but one (unfortunately, yours).

Sorry yes, I should have specified for 2011. 

All to say, yes the screen failures doesn't necessarily constitute a recall, Malibu can't guarantee all parts will work forever.  Also, I doubt their supplier is ready to support such a massive recall if it did happen, which is too bad. 

Luckily, we have some people here in the crew taking a shot at getting a fix in place. 

• Like 2

Malibu kinda did step up with a 5 year warranty now.  This definitely adds some peace of mind for buyers.

My 2014 tundra goes out of warranty in two months, should I hold Toyota liable for next five years on electronic components?  I guarantee there will be some trucks that have issues at one time after the warranty expires.

I think comparing automobiles with boats is kinda funny.  I mean seriously, did you pay $120k for your Tundra or any other typical automobile?  Autos typically have a 100k drive train.  

I think the point here is that the main component for the entire system do these new boats simply should last longer than 3 years. I assure you that your Tundra won't need a CPU anytime soon if ever.  Ultimately that's what's going on with these MTC's.  Without them the boat is useless and in my opinion this should be a very well built and supported item.  My personal experience was a replacement under warranty in year 2 and then I paid for a replacement in year 4.  I store my boat indoors, never out in the rain, etc.   It still looks brand new so the environment is likely not to blame.  

Is it safe to assume that boats are no longer expected to be supported 10 years down the road?  Let me explain that a little...

It's the same fear that we've been talking about since the touch screens came out.

Do you honestly think that these screens will be available 10 years from now?  If not, does that make them useless since you longer have a working speedo, tach, depth, etc...?  

I work for the largest computer maker in the world - once we mark a product EOL, we can supply parts for a certain number of years after that, then we are done providing parts.  These boats are running very small numbers of very specialized screens.  They simply won't be available, which could render the boat useless without the screen.  

Only time will tell...

Not trying to be a debbie downer.  Just something that always bothered me when I had touch screens.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:
16 hours ago, windy1 said:

so does it always delaminate before it fails or can a perfect looking screen fail.

That seems to be the case with most everyone who has shared their failed screen experience. How's yours doing?

Wow this thread went off the rails yesterday.  My replacent has been ordered to the tune of $1495+ tax.  Glad to see that we are debating the positives and negatives of the brand instead of why I'm following this thread to see if ffrank has a fix.   I'm upset that it went out but guess it's just the cost of doing business.  

14 hours ago, bamabonners said:

Is it safe to assume that boats are no longer expected to be supported 10 years down the road?  Let me explain that a little...

It's the same fear that we've been talking about since the touch screens came out.

Do you honestly think that these screens will be available 10 years from now?  If not, does that make them useless since you longer have a working speedo, tach, depth, etc...?  

I work for the largest computer maker in the world - once we mark a product EOL, we can supply parts for a certain number of years after that, then we are done providing parts.  These boats are running very small numbers of very specialized screens.  They simply won't be available, which could render the boat useless without the screen.  

Only time will tell...

Not trying to be a debbie downer.  Just something that always bothered me when I had touch screens.

Yes they will be available, and I bet they'll be cheaper, actually.

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 8:08 AM, 23LSVOwner said:
19 hours ago, windy1 said:
1 hour ago, jb 156 said:

Wow this thread went off the rails yesterday.  My replacent has been ordered to the tune of $1495+ tax.  Glad to see that we are debating the positives and negatives of the brand instead of why I'm following this thread to see if ffrank has a fix.   I'm upset that it went out but guess it's just the cost of doing business.  

It certainly did. I was kind of surprised when I read it this morning. Hopefully we'll have a fix sometime soon that will only be a fraction of what it costs to purchase a new one. Fffrank has told me that his buddy thinks they can be repaired and that he's looking into several options.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, bamabonners said:

Only time will tell...

Just a hunch but I have a hard time believing Malibu would ever discontinue a critical part like this.  Now you definitely will pay for it if you ever need to replace it.

@martinarcher do you think it would be a huge task to come up with a replacement panel that just uses toggle switches and a keyed ignition to replace defective models???  I am just curious....

martinarcher

The tough part about replacing a screen with a plate of switches and indicators depends on what exactly the screen does.  Unfortunately as time progresses, things get more complicated to add features, flexibility, and wiring simplicity for the OEMs.  What that means is these screens don't simply have a harness of wires coming out of them that fire 12V outputs to turn on your lights or pumps, or ignition like we used to with a bank of MUX switches.  They communicate to different modules throughout the boat, then those modules do the actual outputting of voltage to the respective motor/light/actuator/etc.  That same module would also be responsible for reading the sensors on that said device and reporting it back to the main control unit (think angle sensor on the wedge, ballast level float, engine temp/RPM, etc).  These modules usually communicate over a differential bus called CANBus that works very well in the marine/auto environment due to it's robustness and immunity to noise.  

What this means is the average DIY guy that buys a 2015 Malibu 20 years from now could be faced with an interesting challenge.  My bet is Malibu will do their best to support the boat fleet as long as they practically can.  Where I work we are still refurbishing and shipping controllers for machines that we shipped 30 years ago.  If they do not continue to support them, my bet is a 3rd party would pick it up as a business opportunity as the used boat market and the support of it is not going anywhere.  Today's new boats are tomorrow's used boats and future parts business. :) 

• Like 2
On 5/18/2017 at 10:40 AM, 85 Barefoot said:

That said, here is a thread involving at least 4 2017 nautique LINC issues on nautiques:

https://www.planetnautique.com/vb5/forum/nautique-topics/maintenance-technical-discussion/515808-issues-with-2017-linc-panoray-touchscreen

Only thing with that, is it's not a LINC problem. It's a POS Polk head unit problem. They have had the same issues for years. Unfortunately, they locked themselves into a contract with Polk until this year. I'm betting the 2018s will have fusion or the JL MM100 to finally correct that BS.

definitely not discounting the problem. It has been complete bs for years.... just not really a LINC issue. It's an ASA electronics has crappy head units issue.

42 minutes ago, TenTwentyOne said:

Only thing with that, is it's not a LINC problem. It's a POS Polk head unit problem. They have had the same issues for years. Unfortunately, they locked themselves into a contract with Polk until this year. I'm betting the 2018s will have fusion or the JL MM100 to finally correct that BS.

definitely not discounting the problem. It has been complete bs for years.... just not really a LINC issue. It's an ASA electronics has crappy head units issue.

Well, thats great for 2018 and beyond.  Point is, its a known problem, electronics related, they continue to use and install it, and at 5 years nautique ain't going to do a thing about it (from their pocketbook).  

Does anyone think someone from here would then go on PN and accuse Bill Yeargin for "gouging" customers when they knowingly continued to use a interface, and head unit, that was known to frequently not work right or malfunction?  Of course not.  But, hey, this is the Malibu Crew, where its completely rational to blame the CEO of a publicly traded company for not picking up the tab on out of warranty parts!

Edited by 85 Barefoot
36 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Well, thats great for 2018 and beyond.  Point is, its a known problem, electronics related, they continue to use and install it, and at 5 years nautique ain't going to do a thing about it (from their pocketbook).  

Does anyone think someone from here would then go on PN and accuse Bill Yeargin for "gouging" customers when they knowingly continued to use a interface, and head unit, that was known to frequently not work right or malfunction?  Of course not.  But, hey, this is the Malibu Crew, where its completely rational to blame the CEO of a publicly traded company for not picking up the tab on out of warranty parts!

No disagreement there!

i was only pointing out that it wasn't a screen related issue. The rest of your point is perfectly valid, and valid with this electronics related issue.

first thing I did with my G23s was swap the head unit to fusion to avoid this issue.