Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Touch Command Issues

Can you post the contact information for this dealer.  I replaced mine last year luckily it was under warranty.  The bottom third of the screen wouldn't work.

1 hour ago, Sp8102 said:
11 minutes ago, saxton15 said:

Or PM'it to those in this thread?  I'd love to have a backup in the event mine cooks itself. 

Can you post the contact information for this dealer.  I replaced mine last year luckily it was under warranty.  The bottom third of the screen wouldn't work.

The cooking process has commenced on mine. It's just a matter of time before it's done.

• 1 month later...
On 6/19/2016 at 10:59 AM, liquidrider said:

Got to love the guys at SMG they told me they've never heard of this issue an quoted me $2150 for a new unit. Asked if that was the best they could do since I did pay 70k for a boat at their dealership and they said how about $1750. After declining to spend that much my sales lady who doesn't even know my name asked me if I was ready to upgrade. 

I visited a dealer while on vacation and they tell me this is a huge problem and they stock 3-4 units at all time. Told him what they told me and he called the owner of the dealership over and this guy is apologizing to me for my issues. They stock refurbished units from Medallion. Cost me around $600 for a unit. Don't care about Malibu's dealer agreement with selling boats outside of their agreed territory because SMG will never get another dollar from me. Malibu can't tell me where I can spend my money!

In need of some help here Liquidrider, PM sent your way.

• 9 months later...

My 2011 VLX had the bubbling issue as well.  It didn't fail on me, but I sold it at about 60 hours.  I do know that touch screen eventually failed as my dealer told me he had to tow him off the lake.  I really feel for you guys.  

I'm not sure if they have any more refurbished units but I will tell you that I sent two units to jgates who is working with someone who thinks they can fix them. Sorry I haven't been on here in a few weeks just got the news that i tore my ACl and MCL again. 

^^^^ liquidrider, sorry to hear this. I hope you have a speedy and uneventful recovery. Having done this "again", I suspect it makes it makes it all the more depressing. did you do it behind the boat?

Thanks for taking the time to send the two screens so we can start the process of determining whether or not these screen failures are curable.

Keep us posted with your recovery.

Welp this is just what i suspected I have the dreaded bubbling coming up on my screen too.  Everything is still working but seems like it is going to fail soon.  Like others have said my boat has been babied, when not on the water it has been stored indoors without a cover on it.  I just hope I can make it through the season without having to replace.  JJ I might bite the bullet and contact a local dealer if I do and you can fix the screens you may have another one coming your way.   also might just stop by the factory and see if I can get some face time with a decision maker (benefits of living in East Tennessee).  I know that they monitor these message boards and have to be aware of the issues.  

Hey Guys -- I've been talking with @liquidrider and @jgates237about fixing screens.  They sent me a pair of bad ones for us to troubleshoot and see if we can repair.  I dropped them off with my friend this weekend and he said they definitely seem repairable, but he also wants to try and source some more robust screens that won't delam in the sun.  We're working on it!

In the meantime, if anyone has any other "bad" screens.  Feel free to PM me and I'd love to save them from the dumpster.  

I have one sitting in my garage once you guys figure this out.  Be great to have a spare because I can almost assure you that even after replacing it may become an issue again.  

• Thanks 1

Outstanding! I sense good things happening.

Fffrank, please thank your friend for taking the time to investigate this issue. Hoping for an outcome that suits all of us with a vested interest which, may be increasing in size.

Please keep providing updates on this one if you can. I'd really see some value in taking numbers on this forum for those who have this issue. 

Did anyone have luck with a back up key system?  We've discussed it on this forum before, but I'd be willing to retro fit my 2011 as precaution. 

I have a 2013 that came with the key backup... the bottom 1/3 of my screen when out and had to use the key to start. Worked great without any issues.  I don't have my other screen the dealer replaced it under warranty. But if it happens again I will be sure to hang on to it.

Malibu should take ownership over this issue and provide some sort of back up key system to the affected models/years, since it is a known problem.  It's crazy to me that these boats have no other way of ignition. 

I bit the bullet and ordered through the dealer.  I might have a donor screen to send to you to fix.  Pretty sure I am going to sell the bu and get an Axis. Also if frank can fix it I will cut someone a screaming deal on a bu crew referb screen.

5 hours ago, saxton15 said:

Malibu should take ownership over this issue and provide some sort of back up key system to the affected models/years, since it is a known problem.  It's crazy to me that these boats have no other way of ignition. 

Pretty sure only the 2011 have the screen with no key backup.  There was a kit of some sort available to add it.

3 hours ago, oldjeep said:

There was a guy at the end of this thread that had one, also the box that @Smoothwaterman made is shown

I @Fman ordered one and installed it on his 2011.  Maybe he'll chime in.

3 minutes ago, bamabonners said:

I @Fman ordered one and installed it on his 2011.  Maybe he'll chime in.

Yes I ordered one from @smoothwaterman .  It plugged into a hardness off the engine and would allow a remote start if the mtc ever failed.  I never had to use it but was a great peace of mind option.  I had this terrible image of us getting stuck way out on the lake somewhere because of a glitch in that mtc which has proven itself to be "meh" at best.

What I would like to see is @martinarcher make a toggle panel that replaces that 7" mtc.

Edited by Fman
  • Like 2

This is terrible, and it continues.

Homeslice himself Jackie Springer knows very well he has been gouging customers since 2011 on this.  Malibu leadership is ASTUTELY aware of the QAQC train wreck known as MtC.... since EARLY 2011.

where are all the fanboys? Why don't you hook him up with some help??  or thats only for discounts on your next upgrade?

ahopkins22LSV
6 minutes ago, nyryan2001 said:

This is terrible, and it continues.

Homeslice himself Jackie Springer knows very well he has been gouging customers since 2011 on this.  Malibu leadership is ASTUTELY aware of the QAQC train wreck known as MtC.... since EARLY 2011.

where are all the fanboys? Why don't you hook him up with some help??  or thats only for discounts on your next upgrade?

Get over yourself man. Another comepletely worseless post. Yes this is a problem but the last page or so has been people actually trying to help between the keyed backup or sending screen out to try to figure out a way to get bad screens fixed. 

And yes a recall on the screen would be nice to see. BUT, we have no idea what the actual numbers of failures are. Ok so now you are going to site examples of how many people on here have issues. Fair, but how does that compare to how many are still working perfectly fine? A company is not going to issue a recall for a low percentage of failures. 

• Like 3
On 6/1/2016 at 9:03 AM, jgates237 said:

That's flat out wrong. I would be none too happy with that service. You recently buy a 2012 247 from them that I estimate costs +$55K and they ignore you?

You get to order your screen thru Malibu so they can flash it with the latest firmware updates. Going cost is ~$1800 albeit rbrown just got his for $1500

You order it through a dealer. Malibu isn't set up to sell direct to consumers.