Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Touch Command Issues

1 hour ago, Jnorris said:

I need one now as well. Weren’t these sold for $1700 last year on bakesmarine?  $3250 now. Or am I misremembering?

I'm blocking out how much I paid for mine last year, but the price has gone way up recently - if you can even get one.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/5/2022 at 3:07 PM, justgary said:

Read from about this post on....

Are you refurbishing and selling? I just replaced mine so my old is available if you are

18 minutes ago, Jnorris said:

Are you refurbishing and selling? I just replaced mine so my old is available if you are

Not me.  It might be worth keeping your old one and getting it refurbished as a spare.

• 2 months later...

I recently bought a 2011 Malibu lxi and I struggle to start or stop the engine on the touch screen. I called my local dealer (Tommy's) and was quoted $2,700 for a new screen and they didn't know anything about adding a keyed ignition switch to it. Can I please get some recommendations on what to do next. I don't care for the screen, just want to be able to turn on the blower, bilge, lights and start and stop the boat without spending my gas money for the summer.  

39 minutes ago, Jbair14 said:

I recently bought a 2011 Malibu lxi and I struggle to start or stop the engine on the touch screen. I called my local dealer (Tommy's) and was quoted $2,700 for a new screen and they didn't know anything about adding a keyed ignition switch to it. Can I please get some recommendations on what to do next. I don't care for the screen, just want to be able to turn on the blower, bilge, lights and start and stop the boat without spending my gas money for the summer.  

Two things.

First, they do make a key kit for it, or they did (looks like it has been disco'd).

Second, if they have a screen for $2700 get it now. The newest ones are almost 4k.

Edited by COOP

@jblair14 

I haven’t installed an MTC start bypass; but, see the end of this thread where someone describes the process. 

@Jbair14 see previous post regarding ignition. I misspelled your name when I tried to tag you.

If you are looking to replace the MTC with switches, it has been done. 

ahopkins22LSV

99% sure a 2011 Response LXi does not have a touch screen. It has a keyed ignition, with the left and right Mux screens for the boat controls. The 7" touch screen was not introduced until 2012 in the TXi.

23 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

99% sure a 2011 Response LXi does not have a touch screen. It has a keyed ignition, with the left and right Mux screens for the boat controls. The 7" touch screen was not introduced until 2012 in the TXi.

Yes, I had a 2011 RLXI, after 2 replacement screens & installing the remote start key. I had enough & sold the boat.

I was about a year off my 3rd replacement MTC screen so enough was enough.

I still stalk the used boat market looking at boats for sale & when you look closely you can see the old delamination of the screen waiting for the next victim or poor design to buy their dream only to find it has a major expensive flaw

18 hours ago, oldjeep said:

This vid has a better shot.  Definitely same touchscreen and dash when you bought the upgraded dash - malivue.

Interesting the video clip is from down under with a local produced AU boat. I know we may be a year behind the US releases but suprised the 2011 AU boat had the dreaded screen 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Andrew63 said:

Yes, I had a 2011 RLXI, after 2 replacement screens & installing the remote start key. I had enough & sold the boat.

I was about a year off my 3rd replacement MTC screen so enough was enough.

I still stalk the used boat market looking at boats for sale & when you look closely you can see the old delamination of the screen waiting for the next victim or poor design to buy their dream only to find it has a major expensive flaw

Yeah its just crazy to me that Malibu didn't handle this with a recall/fix or something.  I still love my boat but I'd be lying if I said it doesn't leave a bad taste in my mouth for them as a company.  Hoping @cuescreens comes through with an upgraded quality replacement otherwise I'll be working on a switch bank replacement likely within the next year or so it looks like.

Edited by lake4life
ahopkins22LSV
On 5/19/2022 at 11:03 PM, oldjeep said:

This vid has a better shot.  Definitely same touchscreen and dash when you bought the upgraded dash - malivue.

Interesting. I didn’t know that. Good to know. Thanks. 

On 5/20/2022 at 4:19 PM, lake4life said:

Yeah its just crazy to me that Malibu didn't handle this with a recall/fix or something.  I still love my boat but I'd be lying if I said it doesn't leave a bad taste in my mouth for them as a company.  Hoping @cuescreens comes through with an upgraded quality replacement otherwise I'll be working on a switch bank replacement likely within the next year or so it looks like.

It seems Malibu handled this problem exactly the same way Correct Craft and other boat builders did.  Getting an extended warranty service contract may be the best way for a boat owner to avoid direct out of pocket repair expenses for this, and other, issues.

2 hours ago, csleaver said:

It seems Malibu handled this problem exactly the same way Correct Craft and other boat builders did.  Getting an extended warranty service contract may be the best way for a boat owner to avoid direct out of pocket repair expenses for this, and other, issues.

You sound like a Malibu Rep :) -  I understand that is how they handled it because why should they do anything if nobody else is.  Just crazy that $100,000+ boat has a defective screen and the answer is to get a warranty so that you are protected against fixing the defective screen.  And then the fix is to send you another defective screen.  Just frustrating they can get away with it.

• Like 3
54 minutes ago, lake4life said:

You sound like a Malibu Rep :) -  I understand that is how they handled it because why should they do anything if nobody else is.  Just crazy that $100,000+ boat has a defective screen and the answer is to get a warranty so that you are protected against fixing the defective screen.  And then the fix is to send you another defective screen.  Just frustrating they can get away with it.

If you want to just vent instead of finding a reasonable solution, don't let me stop you.

22 hours ago, csleaver said:

If you want to just vent instead of finding a reasonable solution, don't let me stop you.

umm yea ok, can I do both? - my original post already laid out exactly what my reasonable solution is.  Wait for @cuescreens possible upgraded third party screen or create a custom switch bank.
Getting a warranty isn't a solution when they just replace them with the same junk known defective screens and they just keep failing again after the boat is out of warranty.

On 5/22/2022 at 3:14 PM, lake4life said:

Yeah, I'm generally not one for railing against manufacturers, but this is a major and well known defect.  At a minimum Malibu should be making sure that there is adequate supply of the defective screens for owners to buy.  If they really cared, a replacement part would be designed that doesn't have the issue.

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

does anyone know what this screen goes to I got some in a bin sale and medallion won't tell me what rhey are for just I know they are like 1000 each this is the numbering for malibu boat all I know

medallion 6913-00549-09 rev:h