Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Touch Command Issues

Something that costs this much should take longer to install.  And it comes with free surf gate - until you turn that off in the settings ;) I think I may have found my glitch with the other screen too.  No idea how the vide o cable would have gotten nicked, but it is.

IMG_20210520_125057.thumb.jpg.d0daa193674220cee5494d1937e8fc65.jpg

IMG_20210520_125824.thumb.jpg.e7f790a06cda5eed5cbe08e10ab136aa.jpg

IMG_20210520_124422.thumb.jpg.73450c499002aa0f4eae4b6cdd4e508c.jpg

I hate Malibu for this particular one thing... spend this much on a boat and it’s like dealing with a recurring cancer.  I’m on my third screen in 8 years. 

1 hour ago, wakeparadise said:

I hate Malibu for this particular one thing... spend this much on a boat and it’s like dealing with a recurring cancer.  I’m on my third screen in 8 years. 

Yeah.  If I had gone through more than 1 I would have come up with a switch based solution.

1 minute ago, oldjeep said:

Yeah.  If I had gone through more than 1 I would have come up with a switch based solution.

Well we’re all going to have to now 

3 hours ago, wakeparadise said:

I went through 2 Medallion black boxes before I decided to go to analog (with gps speedo)

8 hours ago, HPskier1 said:

That bring up the question of course.... if my truck has a touch screen that doesn't delam, I pads don't delam, my surface pro doesn't delam, the ATM screen sitting in the sun all day doesn't delam why can't medallion make a screen that doesn't delam..... ;)

Add to that list all the Lowrance, Humminbird, and Garmin fish finders. I’m sure there are cases of them delaminating but I’ve never heard of one. 

Anybody have any success with making a cover for them in the summer, taking them out and inside out of the cold in the winter? Does it make a difference on how long the last? I’m not putting my new one in until this one fails but would like to really take care of the new one.

13 hours ago, RyanB said:

Add to that list all the Lowrance, Humminbird, and Garmin fish finders. I’m sure there are cases of them delaminating but I’ve never heard of one. 

I haven't paid attention to them in quite a few years, but I think that most of those are not touch screens.  Putting physical buttons on the bezel keeps them from having delamination issues since they don't have a touch screen.

3 hours ago, justgary said:

I haven't paid attention to them in quite a few years, but I think that most of those are not touch screens.  Putting physical buttons on the bezel keeps them from having delamination issues since they don't have a touch screen.

My brother's fancy Garmin is a touchscreen.  No issues with it whatsover, and it sees rough service.

13 hours ago, HPskier1 said:

Anybody have any success with making a cover for them in the summer, taking them out and inside out of the cold in the winter? Does it make a difference on how long the last? I’m not putting my new one in until this one fails but would like to really take care of the new one.

I toss a towel over the dash/steering wheel when we are anchored.  I'd suggest that you at least test install your new one and make sure it works.

3 hours ago, justgary said:

The Lowrance on my Ranger is touch screen. I thought humminbird  had a touch screen as well. And, FWIW, the Maliview non-touch screen was the first screen to delaminate on my Malibu. 

Edited by RyanB
29 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

I toss a towel over the dash/steering wheel when we are anchored.  I'd suggest that you at least test install your new one and make sure it works.

Absolutely I’m doing that today

1 hour ago, Eagleboy99 said:

My brother's fancy Garmin is a touchscreen.  No issues with it whatsover, and it sees rough service.

54 minutes ago, RyanB said:

The Lowrance on my Ranger is touch screen. I thought humminbird  had a touch screen as well. And, FWIW, the Maliview non-touch screen was the first screen to delaminate on my Malibu. 

Sorry to mislead.  I quickly checked a few new ones for sale and saw bunches of buttons on the sides....

Anyway, I know that my old Humminbird took a complete beating and never had a problem.

The delaminated portion of my screen has expanded to partially cover the blower icon. When I touched the blower icon today (Surprise!) the engine started. 

@Superk163  Where did you source your switch panel?  Did it fit into the area where the screen was located?

Wonder how many people just sit back quietly about this issue like myself. I have a 2011 23LSV and replaced the screen on my Wedding Day in 2016. The dealer was AWESOME and came out and replaced it on my dock since we were using the boat as part of the ceremony. They did a temporary swap with a boat they had in stock. The final replacement was in the $1800 range. My new screen had a little delamination last year, but is significantly more this spring. I will probably have to pick up another for the inevitability of failure - 458 hours now.

Usually, my boat is on a lift under a canopy so it doesn't get too hot in the summer, but it does get hot in the spring when it is covered outside before I put it in the lake. Also, it is cold in the winter during the inside storage. Since it is so easy to take this in and out, I think I am going to start to take it in and out for the offseason like batteries to see if that helps with longevity.

The whole point here isn’t about how to slowly nurse a poorly designed and inferior poor-quality product such as this... it’s much deeper than that. Malibu knows about this. Medallion knows about this. Why on earth do they not make it right?  Are there any lawyers out there who have this issue who want to help take action? I would gladly devote my time into a class action lawsuit. They’re very aware of this issue. How many screens now are faulty? Hundreds? Thousands? Apart from being a nuisance , it’s actually a real safety issue. Imagine the scenarios in which you need to start the vessel and can’t. This whole thing infuriates me.  Imagine for a minute Ford had an issue with a device that started and stopped their vehicle. Oh wait... they did. People died. Ford wore that because they knew about the issue and did nothing about it. 

Who is with me?

That makes me so happy that at least one person is persuaded to NOT buy a Malibu because of this. Hopefully more follow. I love my boat but I HATE the fact that the management of this company do what they do. Someone will wear this eventually it’s a matter of time. 

12 minutes ago, wakeparadise said:

That makes me so happy that at least one person is persuaded to NOT buy a Malibu because of this. Hopefully more follow. I love my boat but I HATE the fact that the management of this company do what they do. Someone will wear this eventually it’s a matter of time. 

The Murphy screens in the 2013-16 Mastercrafts suffer similarly.  Not sure how they are today, but even if I had the cash I would not buy one of these video games on water. 

Someone will get rich  when they figure out a gauge/manual switch system to replace this stuff.

48 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

The Murphy screens in the 2013-16 Mastercrafts suffer similarly.  Not sure how they are today, but even if I had the cash I would not buy one of these video games on water. 

Someone will get rich  when they figure out a gauge/manual switch system to replace this stuff.

They already did. The Malibu’s with the 2016 and newer screens have had very little failures compared to the screens of the older Malibu’s. 

8 hours ago, wakeparadise said:

Why would Malibu be concerned about someone buying or not buying a boat that is several years old?  Resale would have to take a HUGE hit to even become a blip on their radar. I’m as disappointed in Malibu as anyone on this (I’ve replaced both screens on my boat) but I have zero expectations that they will step up and do anything 7 + years after the fact. 

1 hour ago, RyanB said:

Why would Malibu be concerned about someone buying or not buying a boat that is several years old?  Resale would have to take a HUGE hit to even become a blip on their radar. I’m as disappointed in Malibu as anyone on this (I’ve replaced both screens on my boat) but I have zero expectations that they will step up and do anything 7 + years after the fact. 

Brand quality is a *big* deal.  Resale value is part of it, but frustration with perpetual issues can drive people away.  I had a GF who bought a new Chrysler LeBaron way back in 1978.  It had a whole bunch of problems that mostly showed up right after the warranty ran out.  In fixing them, I discovered a that the whole car was made of parts that were designed to be cheap and last 13 months.  Soon after that, the company was assembling cars from a crazy assortment of their acquired makes: Renault, Peugeot, Jeep, Fiat, Mercedes-Benz, AMC, and of course, their own stuff (which at one point, had you lifting the engine to change spark plugs).  Their styling generally looks great, but I have too many memories from 30 years ago to *ever* buy a Dodge product.  The point here is that negative biases can run deep, and when they get deep enough, they can't be unbiased.

Malibu selected Medallion years ago and has stuck with them, probably because decent competition doesn't exist.  This is a Medallion problem, and lucky for Malibu, the other major vendors use Medallion also and have the same problems.

11 hours ago, Tall2Tall said:

Wow, what a cluster....!  I’m new to TMC and educating myself on wakeboats. Thanks to those who share their knowledge and experience. With that, I just decided this ain’t the boat for me after all!  http://www.grandsportcenter.com/bowriders/2011-malibu-wakesetter-vlx

It’s a shame because it’s a beautiful boat. 

Overall the boat is great and I have the key override start installed.  Lots of people complaining here but no one has done anything about it.  The price on that boat seems a little crazy at 75K.  Mine has 260 hours on it and I have a 2019 trailer.  Heck for that price I would sell mine and use my sea doo wake edition for the next year or so until prices normalize.  Yes I know it is not like a boat but after all this crazy supply and demand crud these boats will be worth 35K. 

11 hours ago, Tall2Tall said:

Wow, what a cluster....!  I’m new to TMC and educating myself on wakeboats. Thanks to those who share their knowledge and experience. With that, I just decided this ain’t the boat for me after all!  http://www.grandsportcenter.com/bowriders/2011-malibu-wakesetter-vlx

It’s a shame because it’s a beautiful boat. 

Funny thing is that you can see the screen delamination in one of their pictures. top right corner and top of screen

20210524_120962.jpg

20 minutes ago, JLT3 said:

Lots of people complaining here but no one has done anything about it.  

Done anything about it - like what?  Aside from paying 1900 last week to buy a new one, there isn't any recourse for people with boats that are out of warranty.   

• Like 2