Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf help...

NCSurfing

Hey guys. I have a '15 23 LSV and today was my first time surfing behind it. I am a total beginner...tried for first time behind a friends Malibu last summer and was immediately hooked however, my Supra wasn't up for the challenge. I'm 6'2 190 and am using a Hyperlite broadcast board (5'4" version). 

I got up just fine however, I couldn't get to the point where I could let go of the rope. I used the preset 'surf left' setting which was set for 10.6 MPH and factory ballast. That said, I have twin 650 p&p bags in the rear as well however, never filled them as the kids were bugging me for their turn. Was it a speed issue, a 'need more practice finding the sweet spot' issue or a 'I'm too big and factory ballast won't do it, try again with the bags filled' issue?  Only reason I didn't start with the p&p bags filled as well was that I am a beginner and wanted to work my way into it....

Thanks in advance for some guidance!

Its a practice makes perfect issue. A good surfer should be able to surf ropeless behind a 20 foot DD. 
On a boat your size Im sure the wake is really good, you can play around with weight but really its just a mater of riding more and figuring out how to surf. If you have never really done it befre it will take some time to figure it out. Get on the water as much as you can and figure out how to use your weight to either speed up or slow down and really use the board and wave to ride rope less for hours on end!

At minimum fill all your ballast, including the PnP.  Put your wedge into lift mode and run between 10.5 and 11 mph.

Ideally you would put 500 to 1000 lbs in the bow.  This really lengthens the wave and allows you to use the wedge to shape the wave.  

Start first with just trying to ride in sweet spot w/o tryong to go up & down wave. Remeber to rock you hips foreard and backwards slowly to either soeed up or slow down .   Most people when starting have a habit of staying on thr tail which is like putting on the brakes.  If you have the chance try as many boards as you can they are all very different . Currently surfing the liquid force TC skim & Idol  TC skim .

I've got the same boat, and I agree with fill all (most) of the ballast. I fill all the hard tanks and then the PnP on the surf side; I don't have a bow hard tank (I wanted the storage space) but I do fill a bow triangle if I don't have friends sitting up there (at least 2x 150lb adults), I've been running the wedge two clicks down from stored, finally the boat speed for me is about 10.2. My boat has the 2016 firmware and I've noticed that the wedge position presets are different angles than they were in 2015*.

If you've retrofitted the boat for the surf band then I suggest holding on to the rope and playing with the speed and wedge position, you'll dial in your "sweet spot" quickly and without yelling to the driver.

* I'm going to find someone with a non-updated '15 23 LSV and park both boats (on trailers) next to each other and measure the wedge angle for each of the preset positions and then post it with pictures so we can all quit saying "2 clicks up" or  "3 clicks down"

There was good setup advice in your earlier thread, also someone linked a 2015 surf setup thread. An experienced rider on the right board can surf a stock wave, but you need to slow down. Here's a picture at the end of some break-in hours with only stock ballast, 100% wedge, 9.5 mph, and only a driver.

8DF4AA2C-54DA-4865-BAB6-942C960DB40F_zps

spot someone on your lake who is wakesurfing well without the rope, pull up to them when they take a break and ask them if they can give you some tips by watching you ride behind your boat or theirs.  We love to help people wakesurf, and I am sure that most feel the same.  You can totally learn to do it all on your own, but there are so many subtle things with posture, weight over your toes, board direction, foot placement, etc.  If you learn it on your own, you will get there eventually (it took us months back when we started in 2008), but if you have someone experienced pointing out things for you, we usually get people going ropeless by the end of their first day or on their second day.  If you end up in Georgia, you have an open invite on our boat on Lake Oconee.  :biggrin:  

• Like 3

I have a 2016 23 lsv and I have been surfing for several years now, but I still have a hard time riding the wave unless I have the bags filled and wedge set at 2 notches below the stow mode. This setting on the goofy side seems to make for the tallest, but shortest wave. If I ride anything differently or move the wedge more towards the lift mode, I need to hold onto the rope or it requires a lot more effort. Try riding the highest possible wave you can. It seems to help me.

22 hours ago, NCSurfing said:

Hey guys. I have a '15 23 LSV and today was my first time surfing behind it. I am a total beginner...tried for first time behind a friends Malibu last summer and was immediately hooked however, my Supra wasn't up for the challenge. I'm 6'2 190 and am using a Hyperlite broadcast board (5'4" version). 

I got up just fine however, I couldn't get to the point where I could let go of the rope. I used the preset 'surf left' setting which was set for 10.6 MPH and factory ballast. That said, I have twin 650 p&p bags in the rear as well however, never filled them as the kids were bugging me for their turn. Was it a speed issue, a 'need more practice finding the sweet spot' issue or a 'I'm too big and factory ballast won't do it, try again with the bags filled' issue?  Only reason I didn't start with the p&p bags filled as well was that I am a beginner and wanted to work my way into it....

Thanks in advance for some guidance!

You're just not very good.

Give it time (3 or 4 more rides) grasshopper and you will be able to go ropeless with very little effort. 

• Like 1

It took me nearly a year to finally figure it all out.  I was a pretty good slalom skier and wake boarder so it was a frustrating process.  Once I did learn how to do it I realized you can surf behind almost anything on almost any type of board.  Even in shallow water.  I kept telling myself it was the equipment.  No it was me.     I really wasn't loving the wave behind my VTX last year and I realized I had forgotten to put the wedge down.  Was still surfing all over the lake.   Stick with it.  You will get it and have your  "a ha" moment.   The big waves just make it more fun once you do.

Biggest thing to remember is small movements!  Most beginners over compensate gas/brake.    Absolutely fill everything.   Having extra wave just makes it a little more forgiving.   

I used to tell my martial arts students "the one who practices the slowest,  learns the fastest"  don't be in a rush to ditch the rope.   Take the extra time learn to be stable moving up and down the wave,  then toss the rope.   

• Like 2