Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bunged up threads

I Need Some Help!

I replaced (in the process of) th carb (Rochester QuadraJet) gas filter but in the process I bunged up the first two or three threads in the carb! I have changed this filter numerous times with no trouble but looks like fate has finally caught up with me.

Has anyone been through this? And if so, what was their fix?

I have a couple of opions so far, i.e. dremell out the bad threads, clean the threads with the appropriate tap, get another carb.

I am thinking about grinding out the threads because a tap for this size female thread is .860-20 and around $170.00 and a carb replacement is going to run around $425.00.

Doc (without a prognosis)

I am thinking about grinding out the threads because a tap for this size female thread is .860-20 and around $170.00 and a carb replacement is going to run around $425.00.

Doc (without a prognosis)

How did you come up with a thread size of .860-20? I work for a machine shop and we've checked a major tap manufacturer and they tell me there is no such tap size. Although you can get a tap custom made for any size you want, it seems highly unlikely that would be the case. More than likely you have a 7/8-20 or even a M22x1.5.

If you could accurately measure the internal diameter of the female threads, or the external diameter of the bolt, I could help you nail it down.

I have seen quadrajets with a self tapping "fix it" fitting to screw into the carb in this situation. I don't recall where I saw it, but it is available as a last resort.

another idea would be to get another fitting like you have - but with perfect threads, as I assume the one you have might be boogered up a bit from when it was screwing up the threads in the carb. A perfect fitting held real straight might screw into the carb & straighten out the threads. Don't forget that little white plastic sealing washer on the end of the fitting. Napa has them in their CRB line.

I have seen quadrajets with a self tapping "fix it" fitting to screw into the carb in this situation. I don't recall where I saw it, but it is available as a last resort.

another idea would be to get another fitting like you have - but with perfect threads, as I assume the one you have might be boogered up a bit from when it was screwing up the threads in the carb. A perfect fitting held real straight might screw into the carb & straighten out the threads. Don't forget that little white plastic sealing washer on the end of the fitting. Napa has them in their CRB line.

The part number is 55140 for short and 55141 for the long under HELP product at any local parts store.

this should fix you up I have sold lots of them.