Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Loose screws holding engine cover. Suggestions?

Gavin17

The screws holding my engine cover to the piano hinge are all loose.  I can sort of tighten them but the holes are stripped.   My first thought was to replace them with larger screws but then I realized that I'd have to drill out the piano hinge too and I think it's stainless so that woulnd't be too easy.  Also whenever we need new vinyl I'm sure I'd regret that decision.  Plus the piano hinge has slots and not holes anyway.  

My new idea is to fill the holes with some wood filler or epoxy or something and then reinstall the old screws.  Does anyone have a product they'd recommend?  Is this a good idea?  I'll get a photo tomorrow when we get the boat out.  

10 hours ago, Gavin17 said:

The screws holding my engine cover to the piano hinge are all loose.  I can sort of tighten them but the holes are stripped.   My first thought was to replace them with larger screws but then I realized that I'd have to drill out the piano hinge too and I think it's stainless so that woulnd't be too easy.  Also whenever we need new vinyl I'm sure I'd regret that decision.  Plus the piano hinge has slots and not holes anyway.  

My new idea is to fill the holes with some wood filler or epoxy or something and then reinstall the old screws.  Does anyone have a product they'd recommend?  Is this a good idea?  I'll get a photo tomorrow when we get the boat out.  

J.B. Weld, I love that stuff. In order for it to work in that application I would try to actually inject it in to the hole and I would pull the staples and trim to get underneath upholstery to get a good lateral spread so around the holes so more than the hole is supporting the JB.

64589537-1B73-4E85-8031-F25BFEA1E234_zps

This is all I have on my phone now and it's not fully milled where the 3 lines are marked but here's how I'm fixing the issue. 1/8" 316SS with tapped screws where the piano hinge holes go. I fasten the rest of the bar with new holes around the piano hinge. Will update with more pics later. 

Edited by MotoGPTy
  • Like 1

Nice work MotoGPTy!  I think I'll try something similar.  Are the slots just for the initial alignment?  I'm thinking that you could use long machine screws into the tapped holes and they would also go into the original holes in the bottom of the sun pad.  Those should align everything then secure with more wood screws.  I'm not sure if the slots are needed.  If not I already have all the tools to do this at home without taking it to a machine shop. 

Thanks Gavin.  Correct, the milled slots are for alignment.  Then I drilled other holes to set it in place.  My original holes were in bad shape and alignment was already off so I wanted to re-align but your thinking of using longer screws is right if everything is already in alignment.  I paid a machinist $20 to mill the slots.   

Here are the #10-32 x 1" machine screws I used:  http://amzn.com/B000MN3HNM   (you cannot see one in the pic but I cut each one down to 1/2" and they hold the hinge to the tapped SS bar)  I went with fine thread because i wanted as many thread as possible in the 1/8" deep hole.  Only 4 for this application)

Here is the SS bar that I got (I over-ordered and had to cut it down):  http://amzn.com/B000H9L1KC   (here's a shorter version in stock:  http://amzn.com/B000H9L1K2)

Here are the #12 x 1" sheet metal truss head screws I used to go into the 3 slots and other drilled holes that hold the bar to the hatch base (you can see one in the pic):  https://www.boltdepot.com/Product-Details.aspx?product=17145 

Anyone, feel free to PM me to call and discuss.  I'm actually finishing up the project this week.  

42 minutes ago, Ndawg12 said:

I think you're over complicating this.  A screw just one size bigger should bite through the stainless or get the same size screw a 1/2" longer.

Tried that.  Gavin is right though, widening the piano hinge slot would be difficult since it's slotted for alignment...and if you go much longer in screw size, since the hinge is all the way at the end of the pad, it's very thin there and you may poke through the vinyl.  

Edited by MotoGPTy

My screws are pretty long and I think they already go all the way thru the base material.  Once size larger would probably hold for a season or two but I doubt it would be a permanent fix.  I may get one screw a size larger diameter and test but after it passes thru the stainless hinge I'm not sure what will happen.  

Edited by Gavin17

Can you not fill the holes in the panel with something, then re-attach?  I would caution longer screws because they could be felt under your feet through the cushion on the other side.