Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Premium Fuel?

ffdawg

My dealer told me always use premium, but the Monsoon 350 manual just says 87 octane or higher.  My old Malibu ran great on regular gas.  Will premium make that much of a difference in performance or prevent knocking, or will I be fine using regular 87 fuel?

87 is all mine gets because that is that indmar says. Truck gets 89 because that is what dodge says.

edit - ugh my.manual says 89 and based on a thread from last season that is what I was using. Been putting wrong gas in this season

Edited by oldjeep

My dealer told me 87 in my '15 with 350.  I thought the manual says 89 or 91 at least it did in my 05 but the dealer who's handling my warranty if something comes up told me and everyone else I know 87.

the only non ethanol gas station I know of is in broken bow, OK.  I live in Ft Worth, Tx.  I haven't had any issues in 7 years but would def run non ethanol if I had the option

4 hours ago, t a said:

My dealer told me 87 in my '15 with 350.  I thought the manual says 89 or 91 at least it did in my 05 but the dealer who's handling my warranty if something comes up told me and everyone else I know 87.

I just looked in my manual(s) for my '15 23 LSV, and I quote from page 5-1 of the Indmar Operator's Manual:

WHAT TYPE OF GASOLINE TO USE
All carbureted and standard EFI engines run on unleaded fuel of 89 octane or higher. The LSA and LS3 require 91 octane or higher. Indmar recommends purchasing fuel from a supplier that advertises that the fuel meets "TOP TIER" specifications. This fuel has additives and detergents that will reduce the build-up of deposits in the engine.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, mikeo said:

I just looked in my manual(s) for my '15 23 LSV, and I quote from page 5-1 of the Indmar Operator's Manual:

WHAT TYPE OF GASOLINE TO USE
All carbureted and standard EFI engines run on unleaded fuel of 89 octane or higher. The LSA and LS3 require 91 octane or higher. Indmar recommends purchasing fuel from a supplier that advertises that the fuel meets "TOP TIER" specifications. This fuel has additives and detergents that will reduce the build-up of deposits in the engine.

Funny, I just looked and that is what my 2012 manual says too.  Now you got me wondering where I saw the 87 octane requirement, and if I was putting in 87 or 89 last season. This season I've run about 50 gallons of 87 through it. Getting old, I think I need to write it on the fill cap.

edit - ugh. Clearly I was using 89 last season. Looks like I need a sticker or some Alzheimer's meds. Fwiw haven't noticed any issues with 87 but will be switching back.

Edited by oldjeep

A couple years ago I was doing some on the water testing to see what the ignition curve the MEFI had.  This involved sitting in the locker with a timing light while someone else drove.  As part of this test I set the base timing to ~25BTDC (instead of 10) to see how it handled knock.  Sure enough, at the first sign of knock, the MEFI pulled back about 5 degrees advance.  It did it's job to protect the engine from knock caused by bad or too low of octane gas.

By the way, based on my testing, my base timing is set to 15 BTDC since the MEFI only adds 20 at WOT.

Axis went to the Crusader engines from Indmar in 2015, I believe.  The manual covers the 5.7, 6.0, 6.0 HO, and 6.2 L engines and says:

The ignition timing set by the factory requires the use
of a high-quality lead-free regular gasoline with the
following minimum octane specifi cation.
Pump Octane Number (R+M/2) (PUMP) - 87

NOTICE: Crusader Challenger Fuel Injected engines
are calibrated to operate on and provide optimum
performance when using fuel with at least an 87 octane
fuel rating. Crusader Challenger’s engine control
module incorporates Adaptive Learn Technology to
ensure optimum engine performance is obtained when
using fuel rated higher than 87 octane.

I'll try the different grades of fuel, but 87 it will be unless there's a noticeable difference.

I use only shell of chevron 92 octane in all of my vehicles and equipment because they have the highest levels of effective detergents. I've always thought of it as a "pay me now or pay me later" scenario.