Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ever have this happen?

msuwaterski

So the boat has been in the water for all of 20 minutes.  I am pulling my wife skiing and am starting to think that the boat is not responding normally when my daughter alerts me to the fact that water is coming up from the floor boards. Knowing that I triple checked that the plugs were in before dumping the boat in the water I assumed a hose broke or something to that affect.  When I lifted the hood water sprayed everywhere, so I closed the hood and killed the engine (I had left the motor running because anytime I'm told the boat is sinking I naturally point it toward shore any drive that direction while investigating the problem).  Once the bilge pump had done its job I lifted the hood and found this....

image_zps5exeftoc.jpeg

Somehow my impeller cover and all four screws had worked itself loose to the point of falling off.  I've never seen or heard of such a thing.  I had just replaced my impeller a week ago and can assure you the screws were tight.  Upon inspecting everything was fine, no stripped screws or threading, the impeller was in good shape. Unfortunately I was only able to find 2 of the 4 screws, so I am screwed for boating today.

is this something I am going to have to worry about every time I go out boating now?

Oh man.  I hope our conversation a couple of days ago didn't jinx you! haha

Not sure how or why, but agree you should put a new one on and just keep an eye on it.  Did you do the impeller or did the dealer?  My guess is someone hand tightened it and forgot to torque it down.  

Yup had it happen on my V-drive. That is not a fun fix on the water after everything is nice and hot in the engine bay. I think I under-tightened the screws after changing the impeller. I didn't want to over-tighten because they are brass.