Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

monsoon 335 no power

mark1968

I need some help. I just bought a 2003 Malibu vlx monsoon 335, love the boat but have an issue. My last boat was a 99 Mastercraft Maristar 205 and it was a great boat but just got old so i decided to upgrade to this Malibu for the wakeboard stuff and i thought more power. right from the start i felt a noticeable vibration and a total lack of acceleration. i used to be able to pull three tubes with 6 kids no problem with the old boat but his Malibu just seems anemic.. it loses speed and can not accelerate through turns with any kind of load behind it.. Ballast tanks are empty and only one passenger in the boat with me. Can anyone tell me please that this boat has more power somewhere than my old Mastercraft?! maybe bad fuel pump, fuel filter, perfect pass issue, fuel injector?? i just don't know where to start! Thanks for any help..

I think you are on the right path suspecting fuel delivery.  I'd start with a new fuel filter.  If the injectors in that '03 Monsoon have never been cleaned, they are probably due.  Can you hear the fuel pump whining...like a high pitch squeal?  If so, that may need to be replaced.  What RPM are your turning at WOT?  Should be up around 5000.

I would also inspect the prop being that you said there is a vibration and lacks power in turns. It could be a number of things but cavitation could be one 

First thing to figure out is if your vibration is engine misfire or driveline. If you rev engine in neutral do you get vibration? If yes then look at plugs, wires, cap, rotor. If no then prop, shaft alignment, flex plate.

you bought a 13 year old boat, do you know what maint items have been replaced and when?

Edited by oldjeep