Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Metal flake in the sun

smc67

We'll be keeping our boat on a buoy at altitude. The sun tends to be very hard on the gel coat on darker colors (based on an '07).  Is metal flake any better or worse?

I think UV rays are hard on any surface, flake will be no different. 

When you say it's on a buoy, I assume you mean tied up and floating, correct?  If so, how long is it left that way?  

If the boat is really going to be out in the sun ALL SUMMER long, I'd go with an all white "ghost" color scheme.

I don't know if anybody is paying attention but white is definitely hot now. My dealer has sold FIVE all white G23's this year... all of them with peanut butter interior (they call this the "Frank Sinatra" edition).  They even sold a 23 LSV like that and a 25 LSV that's all white except for a black swoosh. 

C4465033-1B2B-4C06-BA63-AAB8C41BA02E_zps

70D5D771-CDE5-4D2B-962D-634B3F5A5E13_zps

E1FB2819-C721-4DAE-ACDC-8FD031368B63_zps

78765A87-55FA-4D15-9B94-5D5644A583E0_zps

There's also the new Exile boat that comes to mind... sooo sick!

6AB9E811-88FF-499F-89E2-FDC4A6A1334D_zps

And who can forget the original IXFE boat (the only boat I owned for more than one year)...?

DBC_6504.jpg

Thanks.  Yes, it's out there all summer.  I love that 'peanut butter' interior but I'll find it tough to go all white!

If you leave in the water all summer you will likely experience discoloration below the water line.   These boats are not meant to be in water for extended periods of time.

21 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

If you leave in the water all summer you will likely experience discoloration below the water line.   These boats are not meant to be in water for extended periods of time.

That's what starbrite hull cleaner is for!

2 hours ago, smc67 said:

Thanks, Darkside.  It's really clear water, so that helps.

The clear water almost creates a magnifying glass effect on the jel coat below the water line. I bought one of my boats from someone that left it on the water all summer and had to wetsand the jel coat to get the oxidizing out. 

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 7:46 AM, thtrog said:

My 2009 VLX was white with a black accent, so was my prior boat. Since then I've had colored hulls, but would lean white if I had to moor it...at least for the hull, main, and hull accent. 

IMG_0688.jpg

that's awesome looking there!

You will eventually have issues with Osmosis if you leave it in the water all summer long.  If you leave it in for a week, it should be out for a week etc.  Last year someone posted a thread about the same thing and had left it in for too long.  They suffered dull gel coat and blisters(osmosis).   

Just now, Sunscape fan said:

You will eventually have issues with Osmosis if you leave it in the water all summer long.  If you leave it in for a week, it should be out for a week etc.  Last year someone posted a thread about the same thing and had left it in for too long.  They suffered dull gel coat and blisters(osmosis).   

Interesting - My 2001 Sunsetter LXI never had an issue for leaving my boat in for one - two weeks.  Yearly houseboating trip to Lake Shasta is at least a week if not two.  Maybe dodged a bullet but never had any gel coat issues.  It is on the trailer most of the time when not in use.    

there was a whole thread on here with a guy with a metal flake VLX who had significant waterline fading.  Like last year.  I think he was on a lake in New Jersey?

here we go: 

My 95 was kept in the water at least 5 months during the summer. Blistered. It's mostly why I bought a 95. I had put a ton of wax on it, trying to keep from osmosis.  I did upgrade to a 2002 a few weeks ago. Dont think I'll be leaving it in all summer. The 95 blistered at the waterline, interesting enough, The bottom had very little blistering. Dont think it really affected performance. You kinda have to look close to notice it. 

Steve B.

Thanks for all the feedback!  We're on Tahoe, where a lot of people keep their boat on a buoy all summer if they can.  

I'm thinking of a new boat and just wondering about color options.  Unfortunately, I've got nowhere but the buoy to put the boat and won't have a trailer, so it's on the water all summer.  I could get it pulled it out but I'll have to pay each time I do it.

On 31 May, 2016 at 3:33 PM, ORMailbuboater said:

Interesting - My 2001 Sunsetter LXI never had an issue for leaving my boat in for one - two weeks.  Yearly houseboating trip to Lake Shasta is at least a week if not two.  Maybe dodged a bullet but never had any gel coat issues.  It is on the trailer most of the time when not in use.    

I wasn't suggesting it would for sure get osmosis after a week or two in the water.  I was saying that it should be out of the water for approximately the same time as it was in the water to allow the boat to dry out.