Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone have experience with AIR DOCK inflatable boat lifts?

APoko

I keep my boat in a marina so I cant have a typical boat lift.  I'm considering buying an Air Dock and I found what seems to be a really good deal on a used one.  I called the company and the one is found is the proper size for my 24MXZ.  I would just need to add the rubber protector mat in the center to protect the air bags from the fins and prop.   Anybody have experience with these lifts?  I've seen quite a few around and they seem to be pretty nice.

in03.png

Edited by APoko

No experience with those whatsoever. Cant remember even seeing one before in person. But I would check again with your marina, many people around here have Hydrohoist lifts installed on leased slips. What are their rules? maybe someone else can suggest an alternate as well.

Couple guys in my father in-laws old marina had them on Prior Lake.  They were both ski boats, don't think they had anything special on the bags. 

Only couple of downsides that I can think of

1) Bottom of hull is basically wet all the time and will be scummy, could blister

2) If you are in an unprotected area then it is going to bounce around - these were in a very protected little inlet.

Just now, chris4x4gill2 said:

No experience with those whatsoever. Cant remember even seeing one before in person. But I would check again with your marina, many people around here have Hydrohoist lifts installed on leased slips. What are their rules? maybe someone else can suggest an alternate as well.

These are really the only types of lifts allowed in our marina, I talked to the harbormaster this morning and he actually told me no I couldn't use it at first, he misunderstood and thought I was talking about a hydro hoist.  I'm in a large boat marina, during our hiatus between our last Malibu and our current one that we just bought, we had a big cruiser boat for 8 years.  We loved our marina, marina friends, and the marina lifestyle/amenities so we kept our same slip and marina.  Most of the boats in the marina are bottom painted and not on lifts, at 24.5' I'm one of the smallest boats in there, my well is 15'x40' LOL and in fairly deep water.  There are a few offshore go-fast boats on these air lifts in the marina but I haven't had a chance to talk to any of the people. This used lift deal just popped up and I need to move fast if I'm doing it.   My alternative is my originally plan to pull the boat every few weeks and powerwash the bottom, but for obvious reason I would really prefer the lift... Either that or give up the Marina lifestyle and just trailer, but the wife and kids don't like that idea.  I just don't want to buy the Air Lift and end up hating it.

55 minutes ago, chris4x4gill2 said:

if its a good deal, buy it and then resell if you don't like it.

That's pretty much the plan...  

One of these was a candidate when I was shopping for a lift. It got ruled out since I still had to figure out a canopy so for me a traditional lift was the route I took. 

I spoke to the manufacturer and they had two things they recommended for inboards. As you mentioned the extra pad for the tracking fins. They also offered a "weight kit" of some sort to help the bag sink. It reduced the potential for the lift bag to get hung up on the tracking fins as you floated the boat in over it.

Well FYI everyone, I ended up buying it...  I talked to the people at air dock quite a bit, and I had the order the rubber protector mat to protect it from the tracking fins.  Their customer service has been amazing, especially considering I bought their product second hand.  The owner even called me to discuss my application. They helped me verify the model which turns out its actually 1 size smaller than the seller told me so that puts my 24MXZ on the upper edge of its size limit.  They sent me all the documentation for it and gave me pointers on how to get it set up for my boat.  Hopefully I'll be putting it in next week and I'll let the crew know how it works out.

• Like 2

I used an air dock for about 10 years, before I sold my lake place last year and had little problems with it. I can tell you your biggest concern is putting the boat on the lift.....too much air and you damage the pvc, too little air and you can over shoot. which can cause moving prop to get an air bag or a tracking fin to be in the wrong place and they can cause damage. the center mat is very important. if you have questions let me know.

8 minutes ago, itznowonder said:

I used an air dock for about 10 years, before I sold my lake place last year and had little problems with it. I can tell you your biggest concern is putting the boat on the lift.....too much air and you damage the pvc, too little air and you can over shoot. which can cause moving prop to get an air bag or a tracking fin to be in the wrong place and they can cause damage. the center mat is very important. if you have questions let me know.

Thanks for the tips... My marina well is 40' long so my plan is to keep the airdock towards the front of the well so I have room to just park at the dock behind it for easy in and out access.  I have a seawall and grass along the front of my well, so I can walk right in front of the boat and will probably just pull the boat forward by hand onto the airdock and lift it when we leave for the day/week.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
On 6/17/2016 at 11:09 AM, APoko said:

Just an update... I ended up getting the air dock a few weeks back and I'm pretty satisfied with it so far.  I haven't 100% dialed it in to get the easiest possible load and unload but it's working well in my situation.

20160608_211746_zps1n7zd8mu.jpg

Love this!  I have a 2015 Axis A24 (dry weight of 4500 lbs).  I have a neighbor selling his Airdock this is designed for up to 22 ft boats & 4500 lbs (model C/B).  Is this the same Airdock model you made for your 24 ft Malibu?  Any regrets for using this?  Do you use power from your boat to supply the air pump for the bags?

any advice is greatly appreciated!  Great looking setup!

B

On 5/29/2016 at 10:32 AM, APoko said:

Thanks for the tips... My marina well is 40' long so my plan is to keep the airdock towards the front of the well so I have room to just park at the dock behind it for easy in and out access.  I have a seawall and grass along the front of my well, so I can walk right in front of the boat and will probably just pull the boat forward by hand onto the airdock and lift it when we leave for the day/week.

For Apoke:

Your setup looks great!  ??: what air dock model is your 24 on?

I have a 2015 Axis A24 and the suggested model is the “C” but a neighbor is selling his B/C model (which is a bit shorter) and I might try.  Just wondering which model number yours is on.