Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop sing or strut bushing noise

I put the boat in yesterday evening for the first time this season to check everything over before I take anyone out. I started it last weekend in the yard on fake a lake and everything seemed fine. Get out on the water and it reversed from dock well. Put in forward and I immediately get a high pitch singing sound. Pop it in and out of forward and the sound is there. I check all my fluids and all seemed good. V-drive right where it should be, trans reads at 1/4-1/2" above full on stick when not running.  I couldn't get a solid reading when running, don't remember if you are to check when running. Talked to a mechanic friend and he didn't think that is a problem but he is not a marine mechanic and transmissions aren't his strong suit. Throttle up to 800 rpms and it quiets slightly then comes back. Try again for a while get it up to 1200 rpms and it's still there and I'm scared to push it anymore. Idle back to dock and pull it off. Same prop as the end of last season so I've pretty much ruled out prop sing but will throw my other on and check it out. Checked my strut bushings and I do get a bit of up and down movement. Anything else I should be looking at before I order bushings and rip into it? I do have a couple videos I will attach as soon as possible.

formulaben

My money is on prop sing...a tiny nick is all it takes.  Other prop will tell the tale; while the old one is off take a close look at it.  A small file might get the culprit but be careful going nuts as that metal is soft.

I will be getting it back on the water with my other prop asap to check the simplest fix. It does seem like what I would assume prop sing would sound like but have never heard it before. Also it was fine when I took it out on the day I winterize to warm fluids. Guess you never know.

Here are couple videos to show what I was hearing.

http://s616.photobucket.com/user/jrvs23/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-05/20160524_192532.mp4.html?sort=3&o=3

Edited by jrvs23
Videos TMI

Is the prop packing new? Any work done recently? Is the prop shaft cool to the touch?

My prop sings. Started happening after I had it reworked after it hit some sand in the shallows. Happens around 1200 - 1400 RPM & flutuates with the RPMs. Yours is the right pitch, but doesn't fluctuate as much. Seems like a bushing or packing to me.

Do you winterize yourself? Also does it have a drip less packing? Only reason I ask is when I winterize the boats that have dripless I pinch the hose for it. Until I am done with my service. Because if not pinched I will lose all of my antifreeze from it since my tub doesn't go that far under the boat

34 minutes ago, jbower said:

Do you winterize yourself? Also does it have a drip less packing? Only reason I ask is when I winterize the boats that have dripless I pinch the hose for it. Until I am done with my service. Because if not pinched I will lose all of my antifreeze from it since my tub doesn't go that far under the boat

I have winterized myself since I got it 2 years ago. It is the old style cord packing. I doubt it has ever been replaced. Probably on the list to be done sooner than later.

It's the cutlass bearing in the strut. Mine does it every year for the first outing or two. I'm not sure if it's a small amount of corrosion or what the exact issue is but after some run time mine always goes back to normal. I'll bet if you turn the prop by hand while the boat is on the trailer it will sound like nails on a chalkboard. 

Ooohhhhh jeez. Got goosebumps already. I have a few in the spring when I summerize they tend to do it because they are dry or whatever. Hate that sound

Got it back on the water today with my original 381 that was redone last fall and it worked perfect! Not sure if it was the other prop or just some corrosion/dry bushing.

While swapping the props this morning I checked the bushings. I do have a little bit of up and down movement with the shaft. Nothing side to side.  Is it possible that the bushings are getting close to needing replaced and a slightly out of balance prop got it singing, or am I just thinking about this too much?