Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Can you surf a Response?

Colby

I've never done any wake surfing, but after seeing you guys always talking about it, and seeing some videos I would really like to do it.

All the boats that I see people surfing behind are big V's. So my question is can you surf the wake of a RLX? I have a wedge, and a couple fat sacs. I would just hate to spend the money on the board if its not possible with my boat.

Also, whats the best online site to get discount boards? I dont live anywhere near a shop, but need to buy the wife a new slalom ski, and maybe a surfboard.

Thanks in advance

Colby

Yes you can. The sweet spot is smaller, but it can be done easier than you think. The real trick is careful weighting, not a lot of weight. Having the Response off-balance, not over weighted is the key. The Response wake quality will go bad on you if you try to use too much weight. Try using only the wedge and 4 adults behind the driver ( or a 500 lb sac if you don't have that many people). When using the sac, place it between the driver seat and the back seat and play with different amounts of weight in it. Good luck.

Edited by brazosvet

We surf my euro f3. Takes a lot of weight to get a big enough wake for my 200 lb. friend. I have the 5'6" Landlock.

I think we get our best wake with weight on the swim deck, and weight in the boat. We use sacks, coolers, bins, trash cans.

hehehehehe...lo0ks like we got another one;)

-krak

Naw, I just need somthing time consuming and mindless to waste the time between morning glass and evening glass. Tongue.gif

As brazosvet said, I think the key to surfing a Response is to get a lean to it. Need some ballast to make it lean to the surf side but also consider using a sling. That gives you more list with less weight.

Yes you can. The sweet spot is smaller, but it can be done easier than you think. The real trick is careful weighting, not a lot of weight. Having the Response off-balance, not over weighted is the key. The Response wake quality will go bad on you if you try to use too much weight. Try using only the wedge and 4 adults behind the driver ( or a 500 lb sac if you don't have that many people). When using the sac, place it between the driver seat and the back seat and play with different amounts of weight in it. Good luck.

Thanks for the info!

How big of a board should I look at? I would like somthing that my bro-in-law (220lbs) can use. I assume that if a board is big enough for him to surf it will be fine for everyone lighter than that, just not very "sporty"?

Both the size of the board and the amount of floatation is important with a smaller wake and a bigger body. (I know I weigh 235lbs) The easiest board I have ever ridden is the Inland Surfer Green Room. CWB also make a very easy to ride long board. With a Response I would go a big board with lots of floatation.

Surfing is a great way to use your boat during the rough water times of the day.

Good Luck

Joe

I think we get our best wake with weight on the swim deck, and weight in the boat. We use sacks, coolers, bins, trash cans.

Got to see some pics of that...please!

And I guess in theory, it doesn't even have to float.

Right - we had one of the early Trickboardz and it barely floated - in fact we lost it because it took too long to resurface - no tellin where it ended up coming up at.

And I guess in theory, it doesn't even have to float.

Right - we had one of the early Trickboardz and it barely floated - in fact we lost it because it took too long to resurface - no tellin where it ended up coming up at.

I tried surfing off a knee board with very limited success. If you do have the right board, how do you start?

i surf a Rip Curl ocean board - 6'8" quite a bit and love it. It is faster and lighter than any other wakeboard company made surfboard. Lots of fun carving and doing little floaters on that one!

Have fun!

I've never done any wake surfing, but after seeing you guys always talking about it, and seeing some videos I would really like to do it.

All the boats that I see people surfing behind are big V's. So my question is can you surf the wake of a RLX? I have a wedge, and a couple fat sacs. I would just hate to spend the money on the board if its not possible with my boat.

Also, whats the best online site to get discount boards? I dont live anywhere near a shop, but need to buy the wife a new slalom ski, and maybe a surfboard.

Thanks in advance

Colby

Thanks for all the input!

Any thoughts on the second question?

We surf ALOT behind mine and my brother's Echelon's (yes we each have one) He has the straight wedge and I don't and we get a longer better surf wave with his. I load mine up with sacks and it still is not as decent as his with the wedge down and about seven to eight people in the boat. No sacks needed. We have been riding the Inland surfer boards and I really like the Yellow one. The Blue one is larger and better for the smaller waves though. The direct drive boats seem to be VERY weight sensitive. We like to even the weight out as much as we can (closed bow) with ours and it tends to make the wave longer and further back. We have tried a few of our friends Surf boards and they tend to hit the back of the boat easily so having a wake surf is essential on my opinion.

Hope this helps!

We surf'd behind my RLXi Sunday for the first time. Our neighbor had visitors from our of town with a surf board and they were surfing behind their 89 Nautique. We had the Response loaded up for wakeboarding (two sacs in the back and one in the walk through+wedge) so we asked them if they wanted to try it behind the BU. Their 12 year old son (watersports stud!) jumped out there and surf'd the length of the lake. It was cool to watch once I figured out how to drive for him. 9.5 mph on the PP was just about right for him.

We enjoyed it! Yahoo.gif

I just started surfing behind my RLXI a month ago. We're using my friends real surfboard (mini gun ~ 6'6" ) and it works great. Wedge down, and 4 adults in the back corner or a 500 lb sac in the corner. I found the best speed is at 9.0 mph. The only problem we've had is that we cannot get a consistant wake. Sometimes the wake washes out really bad and sometimes it's great. We just need to play around with the weight some more. Does it help to add any weight to the front for surfing?

Does it help to add any weight to the front for surfing?
Absolutely. Put at least 250# up front (or a couple of people). It gives the wave more length and better shape. Thumbup.gif

Surfing.gif

Does it help to add any weight to the front for surfing?
Absolutely. Put at least 250# up front (or a couple of people). It gives the wave more length and better shape. Thumbup.gif

Surfing.gif

I think that might be why the wake was washing out. I'll have to try that as soon as I get off these stupid crutches.

Mad.gif

...as soon as I get off these stupid crutches.
Dontknow.gif Crutches? :( Do tell....

EDIT...ACL surgery?...was that you?

Edited by NorCaliBu
...as soon as I get off these stupid crutches.
Dontknow.gif Crutches? :( Do tell....

EDIT...ACL surgery?...was that you?

I broke my tibal plateau. Mad.gif The bone is fractured just under my knee. No walking for 6 weeks (only two weeks left).

I was skiing and I got down too low after I rounded the buoy and fell. It wasn't a bad fall, but my knee was the first thing to hit the water and apparently the force fractured the bone. So I'm done slalom for the rest of the year. I'm still optimistic that I can be back surfing in a few weeks.

On the bright side, I can't work while I'm on crutches so I've moved up to the lake for the rest of the summer. Tongue.gif