Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help! I think my interior is trashed... boat cover nightmare, where to get new skins

smc1048576

I have a 2009 23 LSV, its been under a Malibu cover all winter... I pulled the cover off the other day and was shocked to find HORRIBLE stains all over!  I think the interior is roached... I went by a local upholster and he quoted me 6k to replace the interior... I said nope obviously...

Can I buy replacement skins from some place and have them installed by another local upholstery shop or maybe even do a ship/swap sort of thing?  Ive seen the name Gabriel mentioned a few times, no contact info though... could someone refer or give his details?

I appreciate what ever wisdom you guys might have.

Have you let it sit in the hot sun for awhile? We always put an old comforter down first over the seats between the cover during winter storage. 

• Like 1

Clean it?  Use bleach only if you have to then leave it out in the sun for a few days.  Take the removable cushions out and lay them in the sun.  Turn it all around so the other side gets sun.  You might be surprised.

Companies that do fire and flood cleanup might be a place to look also.

#1 you probably need to look into a new cover.

#2 let it sit in the sun before you totally freak out.  The padding underneath needs to dry out and the sun usually will fade away most of these stains.

Pics of the carnage may yield more specific advice.

Like others have said the sun with get most of it out.  What kind of stains are you talking about?  I've had the same horrible experience with my old boat after pulling the cover off after winter.  The boat was full of mold and I tried cleaning it with no success.  In the end a full weekend in the sun and adding water to the seats throughout the day, everything came out.

I've also had the stains on the rear hatches from the cover, but that can also be prevented by not allowing the hot black cover to sit directly on the vinyl.  Those also come completely out with the sun.

Jason

Edited by calilsv
On 5/25/2016 at 9:40 AM, smc1048576 said:

I have a 2009 23 LSV, its been under a Malibu cover all winter... I pulled the cover off the other day and was shocked to find HORRIBLE stains all over!  I think the interior is roached... I went by a local upholster and he quoted me 6k to replace the interior... I said nope obviously...

Can I buy replacement skins from some place and have them installed by another local upholstery shop or maybe even do a ship/swap sort of thing?  Ive seen the name Gabriel mentioned a few times, no contact info though... could someone refer or give his details?

I appreciate what ever wisdom you guys might have.

I purchased my Malibu last summer and put the factory black cover on it the day i got it home. I had stored it outside next to my house and 2 days later when i pulled the cover, i had the same thing happen. the interior looked burnt. i freaked out because the interior was immaculate when i purchased it. I came on this site to figure out what happened and to my surprise everyone was correct when saying leave it in the sun for a day or 2 and the discoloration will fade.

I would eventually like to get a new cover made of a lighter color and have one that goes over the tower. But for now i do something similar to others and place towels, foam noodles between the cover and seats to prevent major discoloration. i placed a temp gauge under my cover and have found it to get above 140 degrees during the summer on the days when its over 100 out.

Edited by EvanD

2-3 days in the sun will help.
Might never go away completely, but it will certainly get most of it out.

Those black covers are the devil. I lay life vests across my rear swim platform now. 

As for new interior, you can get skins for for much less than $6k that use factory patterns. 

Wait a few days in the sun, if it's still trashed, message me and I'll get you some contact info that you can use. 

I took you guys advise, and let the boat sit in the sun... It did fade the red stains mostly away... but... I decided I liked the opportunity to have some custom work done on the interior and took the boat to a shop in Houston anyhow :)

Ill post some pics when I get the boat back :)

• Like 1

Don't pay that last payment till you're happy. 

Some things will work their way out if you leave it in the sun/heat and let it stretch or form correctly.
Some things, like uneven or crooked stitch lines, inconsistent alignment of piping and vinyl color changes etc., don't get better with time. 

Looking forward to seeing the final product!

• 4 weeks later...

Large pics below of interior refresh :)  Its probably not what everyone else would like, my wife and I love it though... we wanted to bring some green into the interior and wanted to delete the green piping that was previously.  I had all the stitching done in a matching green with a double french seam, everything is warrantied  for 3 years... after the final steaming and sitting in the sun, all the wrinkles on the corners have flattened out really well :)  I had a custom cover built that goes over the tower and even the swim platform.  While the boat was getting a new interior, I had the entire boat cut, polished and waxed... wow... what a difference!13501971_1192440247467925_53190355277130

13466557_1424779724205800_2584349771403713427794_1420274534656319_4892101344071313417615_1420274514656321_7904919601077113407248_1420274494656323_40844941320848

Edited by smc1048576

I had Santa Cruz upholstery in Conroe do the work.  My Malibu dealer wanted their info as soon as they saw the work :)

thanks for the comments :)