Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

pp 6.5Ng problems

installed pp6.5Ng and have been having trouble with the display ever since. the display seems to work fine when not engaged, but when in use, the display goes blank after a few seconds to a minute, the PP still works, but the display is blank.

I contacted PP twice now for troubleshooting. first time i was told the depth sounder cable was to close to the display cable and was causing interference. turns out that was not the problem.

called again and was told the problem was that malibu puts the pp ground onto a grounding bar with other electronics and that causes interference that will blank the screen. So I hooked the ground directly up to the negative post on the battery. this did not work either.

I will be calling pp again in the morning, any ideas what i should ask them or what the problem might be.

oh yea, sometimes the information on the display will be upside down or reversed (however the heck that can happen)

thanks

talked to the pp people this morning. they are sending me a new display as well as the software chip, 6.5N, for the old display that i have (i gave my old chip away) . apparently the new display is more sensitive to interference than the old one.

• 2 weeks later...

Did the new display fix the problem? I am having the same problem. The Dealer is now trying to fix it...for the second time...or 4th time....I forget...

Edited by kona90
Did the new display fix the problem? I am having the same problem. The Dealer is now trying to fix it...for the second time...or 4th time....I forget...

it's not the display. if i unplug the depth finder the pp 6.5ng works just fine, however, with the depth finder unplugged the computron mmdc does not work so i lose my engine vitals, fuel, oil pressure and engine temp.

I have moved the depth finder module as far away from the pp module as i can, i have re-routed the wires to the depth finder so they are as far away as possible from the pp module and pp wires as possible. PP suggested moving the ground from the buss bar to a different ground which i also tried. unplugging the depth finder is the only thing that worked.

tomorrow (cloudy and cool) am replacing the new dispay with the old one and the 6.5n sofware. the new one is nice but it won't work on my boat.

Kona90, hope this helps!

I was in the process of replacing the 6.5ng display with the older 6.5n display when i noticed the wiring to the mmdc comes up the same hole as the wiring for the pp6.5ng. after moving all the wiring and modules around under the dash it seemed reasonable that the wiring behind the display's should be separated as well (they were all coming thru the same hole from under the dash).

I moved the wiring for the mmdc thru a separate hole and since then everything has been working perfectly.

I got the boat back from the dealer and they think its fixed. I'll know more this weekend. They said they rerouted power to the depth finder and moved PP wires as far from the depth finder as possible. We shall see....