Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cup Holder Clearance

ffdawg

I know this is a little knit-picky, but does anyone else have a problem with the lack of clearance to access the side cup holders? Basically the only thing you can get into those side holders without tipping it almost horizontal and spilling on the seats is a 12 oz can or solo cup. Most of the boaters and crew that I know use some type of insulated cup or mug with a lid. No way those things are fitting in there. So, essentially what I have is 12 stainless steel cell-phone holders - great. I asked my dealer if anyone else has mentioned it or complained about them, and he laughed and said only me.  Lol. How hard would it be to have the side panels cut shorter and the vinyl reattached?

I have no problems with the cupholders. My wife, however, just realized the lack of cupholders near the glovebox. I will be looking into the possibility of installing some. She also was upset that he Yeti wouldn't fit. 

Our bigger thermos holders are a bit cumbersome to get out of the way. A little bit of a bummer in the A20, but it is as my neighbor says "RPP" (Rich people problems).

Also - Guessing you posted this on the axis specific forum as well. 

We figured out if you stick the top of the bottle/cup into the cutaway area first you can lift vertically to get the entire bottle/cup into the area and then drop down into holder. But you are correct, most people try to tilt sideways or try to go in bottom first and there isn't much room. 

I know what you're talking about, however I have been able to get my 30oz Yeti cups in there.  Had to tilt if for sure but it does fit in there.  Interesting idea cutting down that "shelf" that the cup holders sit in.  I think there is room in my '16 A20 to allow this but it's not a project I'm willing to get into.  It's my boat, I drive pretty much exclusively, and I don't have a problem getting my drink into the cup holder at my lower right leg.  I'm good :)

I probably wont attempt it because, like I said, I know I'm being knit-picky, but I wasn't considering lowering the shelf that the cup holder sit in, I was considering making the backrest cushion that is above the cup holders shorter to increase the clearance.  Kind of ridiculous, I know, but I was bored at work and just rambling...

4 hours ago, Simo said:

I have no problems with the cupholders. My wife, however, just realized the lack of cupholders near the glovebox. I will be looking into the possibility of installing some. She also was upset that he Yeti wouldn't fit. 

One of the first things my girlfriend laughingly said when she got into the boat was "hey, where's my cup holder?" referring to none by the glove box.  I would like to put one in that area, also, so please post if you attempt it.

When my son was a teenager, his friends would take a 32 oz Gatorade from the cooler, take a few sips, then ask for another. All my cup holders contained half full bottles of Gatorade. After a few times, I would only buy one bottle for each.

20 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

when I take a full crew of teens out, the one thing that drives me nuts is that none of them can seem to manage to even finish a 12 oz soda or 16 oz water.  Maybe the engineers are sensitive to the same issue and they want everyone to drink those "mini" sodas and waterbottles to at least people manage to finish them.

Neither my wife nor daughter can manage to finish one of those mini cans of diet coke. Drives me crazy to open the fridge and see 2 or 3 of those half empty cans sitting in there.  I mean it's literally like 2 swallows, lol.

3 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

when I take a full crew of teens out, the one thing that drives me nuts is that none of them can seem to manage to even finish a 12 oz soda or 16 oz water.  Maybe the engineers are sensitive to the same issue and they want everyone to drink those "mini" sodas and waterbottles so at least people manage to finish them.

2 hours ago, DUKENO1 said:

Neither my wife nor daughter can manage to finish one of those mini cans of diet coke. Drives me crazy to open the fridge and see 2 or 3 of those half empty cans sitting in there.  I mean it's literally like 2 swallows, lol.

My wife is incapable of finishing the drink in front of her. It could be milk or water at the dinner table, a margarita at the local bar, a mocha-frappe-latte-grande-americano-uccino from Starbucks or the hospital water cup the nurse kept filling after she gave birth. I thought those mini-cans would be the answer to all my prayers, but it turns out she is just dead set on forcing people to decide if the can/cup is half empty or half full.

If she had a thimble of water in the desert I am convinced she wouldn't finish it and die of thirst. :rant: