Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bought my first ski boat - 93 Echelon LX

iwam

Cool, we just bought 2 400s and a 150 from mnwakerider.  We're thinking put those 400s on either side of the motor and another in the ski locker, plus wedge.  Suck gate seems like a no brainer for $30ish, which dimensions are you going with?

15 hours ago, iwam said:

Cool, we just bought 2 400s and a 150 from mnwakerider.  We're thinking put those 400s on either side of the motor and another in the ski locker, plus wedge.  Suck gate seems like a no brainer for $30ish, which dimensions are you going with?

I got it all down on paper, can't recall but I think it was 7x9.

@iwam:  You will notice a significant wake improvement when you drop the fuel level down as low as possible.  Also, the crew needs to make sure we introduce you to barefooting, the SV23 hull and the Echelon is an excellent barefoot machine make sure you check some of the stuff posted on footing in this site and note the number of Echelons in that group.

On the low speed issue you are having, Mich Boarder noted the rudder, if loose it can be a culprit, another possible cause is loose or worn shaft bushings.  They are easy to replace and a few threads on this site provide details.  My buddy's LXi has a growl at roughly that speed and it was loose / worn shaft bushings.  I replaced mine with the vesconite version, lower rotating resistance.

Also, if your pylon is not free to rotate, simply remove the nut, lift up and grease the needle bearing, it should have a plastic cap on top for appearance.

Edited by Woodski
On 7/8/2016 at 2:07 PM, Woodski said:

@iwam:  You will notice a significant wake improvement when you drop the fuel level down as low as possible.  Also, the crew needs to make sure we introduce you to barefooting, the SV23 hull and the Echelon is an excellent barefoot machine make sure you check some of the stuff posted on footing in this site and note the number of Echelons in that group.

On the low speed issue you are having, Mich Boarder noted the rudder, if loose it can be a culprit, another possible cause is loose or worn shaft bushings.  They are easy to replace and a few threads on this site provide details.  My buddy's LXi has a growl at roughly that speed and it was loose / worn shaft bushings.  I replaced mine with the vesconite version, lower rotating resistance.

Also, if your pylon is not free to rotate, simply remove the nut, lift up and grease the needle bearing, it should have a plastic cap on top for appearance.

That's what I've read, we'll be giving a quarter tank a shot next time we are able to hit the course. 

I have footed' before, by dropping one ski, have yet to try on this boat yet though.  We haven't yet reached the 20 hr mark, once we do, we'll be able to give her full throttle and give it a try

Rudder feels solid, I'm thinking the bushings could be showing some age.

Pylon is completely seized, you hit it on the nose.  I'll try to take her apart

Couple more updates, new Bluetooth head unit, and I added a 12v solenoid valve to the transom shower.  This way the water flow is cut off when the switch is flipped off, no need to touch the finicky mixer dials any more to stop the flow.

tdp8Z5d.jpg

pau1evn.jpg

Edited by iwam
  • 2 weeks later...

Suck-gate completed, will try it out shortly

zIMixaG.jpg

I also finished refinishing the plastic gauges.  It was super easy using the 2 step headlight refinishing kit by Mcguires.  First step is wet sand, second step is clear coat... Easy.  Came out great!

Before:

5S6HKgb.jpg

5AmyiLz.jpg

XgUrbr1.jpg

Done

VaSAYtd.jpg

4BKE5Xp.jpg

@iwam If you have any other echelon questions wiring placement etc. let me know. I'll most likely be on the lake most of the day tomorrow on my 94. 

Is your "Computon" completely removed from the dash or just broken and covered? I'm lucky to still have mine 95% functional!

Edited by meb885
  • 9 months later...

First update for 2017, got some time on the water this weekend

dtQNUXV.jpg

This spring I installed an 8" subwoofer in the Echelon and I found it can make a big difference when you add in a little low range. With storage at a minimum I installed the sub and amp behind the driver's footrest.

D4N9afQ.jpg

Recently I also came across a replacement trailer that was originally for a 95 Response.  Haven't tried it out yet but I assume its a direct fit?!  On a side note, my old trailer is for sale for $400.  It is currently usable, but could use some tires and metal work.  (trailer on the right)

IQddt0J.jpg

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

Very nice! I used to have a 94 echy.  Sure cant beat that slalom wake!  Brings back memories, for sure.  Just an FYI, I saw a couple brand new computrons on the Malibu Marine website--- sunken treasures.  Not sure if you have a working one or not.  I know they are hard to find from experience.  Anyway, nice work!

20170701_101239.thumb.jpg.5e22477bc69a4a1bd62072ca928d1cfa.jpg

On 3/31/2019 at 10:26 PM, bovhica said:

Very nice! I used to have a 94 echy.  Sure cant beat that slalom wake!  Brings back memories, for sure.  Just an FYI, I saw a couple brand new computrons on the Malibu Marine website--- sunken treasures.  Not sure if you have a working one or not.  I know they are hard to find from experience.  Anyway, nice work!

20170701_101239.thumb.jpg.5e22477bc69a4a1bd62072ca928d1cfa.jpg

Looks like a nice boat!

On 4/1/2019 at 4:52 AM, ahopkinsVTX said:

@iwam the boat is looking great!!

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...